    Don't get screwed. And tell everyone you can. I find this move by amd to
    be no diiferent than GM taking a chevy and putting the name Cadilac on it
    and doubling the price. Buyer beware.

    Wes Newell, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Wes Newell

    crucom Guest

    what is with the bus speeds? AMD Sempron™ 3100+ @ 1800Mhz FSB (Socket A)
    256k" cache is half the size but 1800?

    crucom, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    The Sempron 3100+ is a socket 754 CPU. It won't work in socket A. If
    you're talking about the pricewatch ad, it's just a screwup.Note 754pin
    beside socket A.:)

    And the Sempron for 754 is the same. if you want to reasonably vompare it
    to an Athlon 64 754 CPU, subtract 400 from the model number of the
    Sempron. IOW's the Athlon 64 2800+ is faster the the Sempron 3100+ for the
    same board.

    AMDs' acronym for Sempron= Screw Everyone Purchasers Rely On Numbers.

    Wes Newell, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    That Should have read, Screw Everyone Most Purchasers Rely On Numbers.

    Wes Newell, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Wes Newell

    Daniel P Guest

    Model: AMD Sempron 2800+
    Core: Thoroughbred
    Operating Frequency: 2.0GHz
    FSB: Integrated into Chip
    Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 256KB
    Voltage: 1.65V
    Process: 0.13Micron
    Socket: Socket A
    Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+

    Notice the FSB

    Model: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    Core: Thoroughbred
    Operating Frequency: 2GHz
    FSB: 266MHz
    Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/256K
    Voltage: 1.65V
    Process: 0.13Micron
    Socket: Socket A
    Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+

    Again Notice the FSB

    Daniel P, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Wes Newell

    iTsMeMa Guest

    Think I'll side with Wes' thoughts here. Another money grab. My XP2400 is
    very happy at 11 X 200

    Notice the FSB

    Garry

    iTsMeMa, Aug 26, 2004
  7. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    I notice it's giving you BS. What else do you want me to notice? :)
    The FSB is integrated into all Socket A cpu's. The cpu won't work without
    a FSB. That's how it talks to the MB chipset and gets it data from all
    devices. Still, the FSB speed is controlled by by the MB, not the cpu.
    Integrated into cpu is just meaningless crap.
    Yep. i notice it's giving you data rates instead of the real FSB speed of
    133MHz. Any other BS you want me to notice?:)

    See The Real Front Side Bus in link below.

    Wes Newell, Aug 26, 2004
  8. That doesn't mean that whole Sempron series is not worth its price.
    Sempron 2300+ with its price lower than XP 2000+ is pretty cheap
    processor.

    Lukasz Ledochowski, Aug 26, 2004
  9. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    The cheapest Sempron I could find was a 2400+ for $60. That's the same as
    a 2000+ XP, which sells for $48. But it's your money.:)

    AMD has discontinued the XP's except for the XP 2800+ and faster Barton
    cores. Changed the name of the lower model Tbred XP's and raised the
    model (PR) numbers by a `400 and raised the price to match. What is it
    about this that you don't understand? Do some research.

    Wes Newell, Aug 26, 2004
  10. I've done some research and I found Sempron 2300+ (1583MHz,
    FSB166(333)) cheaper than XP 2000+ (1666, 133(266)). These are
    comparable processors and I can't say that this model is to expensive.

    Lukasz Ledochowski, Aug 26, 2004
  11. Wes Newell

    Bob M Guest

    This still won't sway me to buy Intel next time. But I will make sure I
    do my research on the AMD chips before I do upgrade again. Thanks for
    the info.

    Bob
    --
    Takeoff is an option.
    Landing is a must!

    And in the end on wheels we will depend.

    Bob M, Aug 26, 2004
  12. Wes Newell

    Ed Guest

    If the Celeron wasn't such a dog AMD would have made the Sempron run
    faster, but it's a low end chip to compete with Celeron not Athlon XP or
    P4 or A64, get over it! ;p

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 26, 2004
  13. Wes Newell

    crucom Guest

    crucom, Aug 26, 2004
  14. Wes Newell

    BigBadger Guest

    BigBadger, Aug 26, 2004
  15. Wes Newell

    rstlne Guest

    How is it a mistake?

    rstlne, Aug 26, 2004
  16. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    Ok, I've found several places that sell the XP 2000+ for $44. The
    cheapest Sempron I could find was $60 for a 2400+. The Only 2300+ I found
    was $88. So where have you found the Sempron 2300+ for under $44?

    Wes Newell, Aug 26, 2004
  17. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    Believe me, I'm not pushing Intel. The last Intel CPU I owned was a 486.:)

    Wes Newell, Aug 26, 2004
  18. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    Wes Newell, Aug 26, 2004
  19. It depends on the part of the world you are in:) I'm in Poland and here
    Athlon XP 2000+ and Sempron 2300+ cost about 60 USD. But ok, I agree
    that new Sempron line isn't that what i was really waiting for:) If you
    can buy XP 2400+ for 48USD (like www.sharkyextreme.com says) than
    Sempron is a product that could never exist.

    Lukasz Ledochowski, Aug 27, 2004
  20. Wes Newell

    crucom Guest

    yeah ive herad about them changing the name of the duron to the sempron,
    just threw me off with the 1800bus. thank you im all ok now, i think but
    who knows, lol

    thanks for the help

    crucom, Aug 27, 2004