    jack.

    TIA

    Louise

    louise, Jan 21, 2006

  2. louise

    mc Guest

    Separate from microphone? Possibly not; I don't know. Or did you mean
    separate from something else?

    Current Sound Blasters use the same jack for microphone and line in, but
    they let you choose which one it is at any given time.
    Many sound cards allow that. I just looked at 3 computers (one with an
    ancient Sound Blaster PCI 16, one with a Sound Blaster Live! 24, and one
    with sound on the motherboard) and they all did. Most of them call it
    "Stereo Mix" instead of "What U Hear" and it's hidden on the recording menu
    until you enable it. See:
    www.covingtoninnovations.com/audio/recradio

    mc, Jan 22, 2006

  3. louise

    louise Guest

    Thanks for your help and the link. That's a great site for
    some of the info I'm trying to figure out.

    Louise

    louise, Jan 22, 2006
  4. louise

    mc Guest

    Can you tell me a little more precisely what it is that you need to do? I
    can probably help you figure it out.

    mc, Jan 22, 2006
  5. louise

    louise Guest

    Thanks a lot - and thanks for your patience in reading the
    long description below.

    Audigy 2ZS card and Win XP Pro - Asus motherboard, P4, lots
    of memory and processor power.

    I have a handheld microphone which goes into an M Audio
    preamp (called Audio Buddy). This plugs into the "line in"
    jack.

    I would like to be able to also plug a headset/microphone
    directly into the soundcard or with a USB sound pod.

    The reason I want both is that I would like to be able to
    dictate from either the handheld through the line in, OR the
    headset microphone.

    I use Dragon Naturally Speaking speech recognition software.
    You have to create a new user (profile) for each dictation
    source used because you have to "train" the program to
    recognize your speech.

    The program will not recognize another input source other
    than the line in so that it will not allow me to create a
    second user with a different input source.

    The surround mixer does change the record input from the
    line mix to microphone but it still doesn't seem to have any
    effect upon the program's ability to recognize another input
    source.

    I tried using a USB sound pod for my second input source and
    the same thing happened. This did work in the Windows
    recorder but it did not work in Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

    It is very hard to get good tech support on this issue
    because the preamp isn't "supported" and the speech
    recognition people know nothing about it and simply say it
    is not supported. Creative doesn't really know a lot about
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking and perhaps not very much about the
    Audio Buddy either.

    There is some weird interaction between the Dragon software
    and the Creative software -- at least that's my latest
    theory. Even when I use the USB sound pod, the creative
    software is still loaded.

    Another piece of information if this would shed any light:
    whenever I start Dragon NaturallySpeaking, it automatically
    puts an X on the line-in. In other words, when you start
    the program, it sets itself up for microphone plugged into
    mic in jack. When I checked with their tech support, this
    is how the software is supposed to operate. So, whenever I
    do load the speech recognition software, I also have to go
    into the surround mixer and take the x out of the line in so
    that my present set up can work.

    The headset and the USB pod work perfectly on my portable,
    so I know that those two pieces of hardware are fine. I
    have also done a repair install of the Dragon software and
    it made no difference; I don't think the program
    installation is corrupted.

    Everyone I speak to who knows the Dragon software at all has
    a "hunch" that it has something to do with the fact that the
    sound card has a mix for the input and that it confuses the
    Dragon software setup.. But no one is sure.

    The other issue about "what u hear" is that I do a fair
    amount of recording of music off the net - therefore, I want
    that capability as well - but I gather most soundcards
    actually have that.

    I hope this is at least a little clear and if you have any
    suggestions, I certainly would appreciate it.

    Thanks again.

    Louise

    louise, Jan 23, 2006
  6. louise

    mc Guest

    OK, so, in summary: You have 2 microphones. One is an ordinary computer
    microphone on a headset. The other microphone works through a preamplifier
    and goes to "line in" on the sound card.

    So you need a sound card on which "line in" and "microphone" are 2 different
    jacks.

    That is a reasonable request, but I don't know which current sound cards
    have that setup. Sound Blaster Live 24 defininitely does not. Sound
    Blaster PCI 16 does, but it's probably obsolete by now. I have one of each.

    Can others chime in with suggestions? I know that with Sound Blaster
    products, you can go to www.creative.com, under support, and read the
    instruction leaflet for each card.

    mc, Jan 23, 2006
  7. louise

    mc Guest

    Dear Louise,

    One more thing. Please contact me by e-mail,
    m c at u g a dot e d u
    if you can't find a card that meets your needs. I have a Sound Blaster 16
    PCI that might suit you. Thanks.

    mc

    mc, Jan 23, 2006
  8. louise

    mc Guest

    One last thought. You can have 2 soundcards in the same computer and select
    between them in software.

    I know that Asus sound-on-the-motherbard and Sound Blaster Live 24 are
    compatible.

    mc, Jan 23, 2006
  9. louise

    T Shadow Guest

    AFAIK every card I've owned have separate Mic and Line-In jacks. My SB Live
    and Audig2 do for sure. The problem seems to be Dragon only wanting to use
    the Mic port.
    Go into the Windows(not Creative) Sound Control Panel and see if you can
    select the mixer device you want to use, before running Dragon. I've not
    used a USB sound device but hopefully there will be 2. Does the pod show
    having a Mic port?
    I've read the post 6 time and I'm still not sure I understand exactly what's
    going on but I'll give some info that may help you experiment. Wave and MIDI
    are digital sound on the computers bus. All of the others are physical ports
    to the sound card. Analog mix are hardware ports and What You Hear is Analog
    Mix + Wave.
    It might help understanding if you could post a link for the pods website.

    T Shadow, Jan 23, 2006
  10. louise

    mc Guest

    Sound Blaster Live 24 does not; nor (probably) does Audigy. They started
    doubling up Line In with Mic when they needed more jacks for surround sound
    speakers.

    mc, Jan 24, 2006
  11. louise

    T Shadow Guest

    T Shadow, Jan 24, 2006
  12. louise

    T Shadow Guest

    BTW the Audigy2 has a separate PCI slot cover for the game port. I'm not
    just guessing, I'm looking at the back of the computer now. The SB Live also
    has a separate cover. It's good to know about Creative doing that on some
    models though.

    T Shadow, Jan 24, 2006
  13. louise

    louise Guest

    Here's the link for the usb sound pod

    http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/prod_details.asp?prodID=003

    The Creative control panel doesn't see the pod at all. But
    Windows control panel/sound can see the pod and the wndows
    recorder can accept dictation from the pod.

    Louise

    louise, Jan 24, 2006
  14. louise

    T Shadow Guest

    From:
    http://www.emicrophones.com/docdetails.asp?documentid=25

    "When NatSpeaking loads, it scans available sound devices, finds the default
    you have stipulated for preferred devices, and sets up for 16-bit speech
    recognition PCM (Pulse-Coded Modulation) recording format"

    Looks like you need to set the pod to default in Windows "Sounds and Audio
    Devices Properties" Control Panel before running Dragon. I'd set it in the
    audio and Voice pages then click "use Only Default Devices" on the Audio
    page.
    Since your putting Dragon on a second computer can I assume you like it and
    find it useful?

    T Shadow, Jan 24, 2006
  15. louise

    louise Guest

    thanks for that suggestion. I did make it the default, but
    I did not check "use only default devices". I'll try again :)

    Yes, I do find Dragon very useful. Although I type very
    very quickly, I also need to create many pages a day and
    after a while, I get RSI. One does have to do some work to
    train it for your speech patterns and it does make
    ridiculous mistakes from time to time -- usually when you
    haven't enunciated well enough.

    If you're going to try it, I have one strong recommendation:
    do not use the included headset because it really isn't good
    enough and you lose a lot of accuracy that you could have if
    you got a more expensive headset or, a freestanding handheld
    microphone on a boom.

    I purchased the "Preferred" version; this is plenty good
    enough unless you really don't have use of your hands or do
    so much dictating that the creation of individual macros
    would be critical for you.

    Most people do not need the Audio Buddy that I use -- in
    fact, I am very much the exception and there's no need to
    figure that you would have to do that. It is because I have
    a somewhat hoarse and soft voice that I need the extra
    amplification.

    Thanks again and if you to get Dragon, check out
    Knowbrainer.com for a wonderful bulletin board filled with
    information about how to use the program and how to maximize it.

    Louise

    louise, Jan 24, 2006
  16. The Audigy 1, Audigy 2, Audigy 2 ZS and Audigy 4 Pro have separate
    Microphone and Line In Jacks. The newer Audigy 4 ( non-Pro) and the Audigy 2
    Value do not. The Live! 24 bit and the X-Fi don't either.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Jan 31, 2006
  17. louise

    Dino Guest

    My Sound Blaster Live Digital has both line in and mic jacks. I checked on
    Audigy and it seems to have both also.

    Dino, Feb 1, 2006