    My question is has anyone setup their Windows XP to run off of the SATA
    drive and was there any performance improvement over installing to the EIDE
    drive?

    Mark, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Mark

    Ski Guest

    My question is has anyone setup their Windows XP to run off of the SATA
    My 10,000 rpm Raptor boots to a USABLE desktop in 20-25 seconds.

    That's with a cable intenet connection shaking hands AND intel boot agent
    slowing things down.

    Best boot speed with the WD1000JB was 45 seconds.

    Booting three times a day, I save a minute a day...waitaminute, seems
    everything loads faster too...

    If you use the raptor, you'll save time.
    Can't speak for any OTHER brands of SATA HD, but...if it don't run at 10,000
    RPM, it's got to be slower.

    Ski
    "The only way to find out how far is too far...
    is to go there"
    (remove spleen to e-mail)

    Ski, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Ski,
    Did XP have trouble seeing the drive during setup? Alot of users are
    reporting this problem...I would like to set mine up as a Raid0 on the
    install..any comments?

    Mark, Aug 6, 2004
  4. Mark

    Ski Guest

    Ski,
    First, BIOS should be set.
    first boot, CD, second boot, SCSI.
    ALL OTHER BOOTS DISABLED.

    ONLY DRIVES HOOKED UP IN THE MACHINE SHOULD BE
    FLOPPY, CD, AND SATA.
    PERIOD.
    I REALLY MEAN IT.

    When the XP install asks you to hit F6 to install other drivers, do so and get
    ready to put your raid array flopy disc in...follow the instructions, and it'll
    see the disc.

    Now, ONE out of the four times I've done this, I had to do the floppy install
    of the raid array TWICE, which I attribute to the damn machine not listening
    the first time, or sunspots, or estrogen in the room...point being, the second
    time it went right in.

    When all else fails, go to the MSI forums and read up on the install...there
    are SEVERAL threads on problems with this board which *I* attribute to the
    interface between the keyboard and the chair...if ya know what I mean.

    Ski, Aug 6, 2004
  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Cool...thanks for the tips.