    using my PC as a serial console for it, but with no success. Can
    anyone give me specific instructions for using a serial console on
    this machine?

    Ben Hutchings, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Unplug the keyboard.
    Set your terminal to 9600 8N1
    Use a null-modem cable.

    Chris Newport, Jan 11, 2004

  3. I have the cable and tried those settings before. Possibly I made the
    mistake of leaving the keyboard plugged in, so I'll try again without.

    Ben Hutchings, Jan 12, 2004
  4. SparcStation 10, rather.
    Well, that works. Which brings me on to the next problem:

    --- BEGIN LOG ---
    ok boot cdrom
    Resetting ...
    ..
    Axil-235 (1 X 390Z55), No Keyboard
    ROM Rev. 2.10, 64 MB memory installed, Serial #8789255.
    Ethernet address 0:0:3b:80:20:b, Host ID: 72861d07.
    Rebooting with command: cdrom
    Boot device: /iommu/sbus/[email protected],400000/[email protected],800000/[email protected],0:d File and args:vmunix
    SMemory error during DMA transfer.
    DMA control register = a400030e , DMA address = ffec4013
    Extra scsi data. Fatal error.Memory error during DMA transfer.
    DMA control register = a400010e , DMA address = ffec4013
    can't clear interrupts
    Can't read disk label.
    Can't open disk label package
    Data Access Exception
    Type help for more information
    --- END LOG ---

    A quick look around suggests that this means the drive is returning
    whole sectors (2048 bytes) when the host requests 512 bytes. Is that
    right? Is there any way around it?

    I think I can manage to boot the installer from a floppy disk but it
    would be nice to be able to boot from the CD-ROM.

    Ben Hutchings, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Sounds like that cdrom drive came from a nn-Sun machine.
    Most scsi cd drives have a jumper to set the block size, usually
    marked 512. If you are lucky, just insert that jumper and try again.
    Otherwise find a more suitable drive or borrow one from a Sun box.

    Chris Newport, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Ben Hutchings

    Glenn Guest

    + On 16-Jan-04 03:38:09
    Or more correct, a CDROM that is not made for a "real" workstation
    or server.

    Sun,SGI and if I recall it right, HP and DEC all needed this kind
    of CDROM's..
    No, I would say that pretty few have this.. but SOME have, and
    some are autosense, like the old (crappy) NEC multispin 2.5x.

    I good bet is to buy a Plextor SCSI CDROM, AFAIK all plextors
    can read the correct blocksize.
    Or SGI.. or probably any other big "UNIX-company"..

    Glenn, Jan 17, 2004
  7. I think it was in a Mac originally.
    I don't think it has such a jumper, but I'm having trouble finding
    documentation for it so I don't know. Thanks anyway.

    Ben Hutchings, Jan 20, 2004
  8. <snip>

    So "real" computers have firmware that can't deal with different
    sector sizes? I'm glad I normally deal with PCs, then...

    I managed to net-boot the installer, anyway, and Linux is able to read
    from the CD-ROM so I suppose I don't *need* to sort this out.

    Ben Hutchings, Jan 20, 2004
  9. Ben Hutchings

    Glenn Guest

    + On 20-Jan-04 01:09:07
    Not the "workstation" part.. it also goes for servers.. please remember
    that it wasnt many years ago the x86-platform got a useable *ix.

    And please note that this standard was set long before PC's even
    had CDROM's as standard.. and is there ANY PC that can boot from
    a SCSI CDROM at all ? ..probably there is, but they usally can't.
    Dont remember how it is on sunmachines since my trusty plextor
    can do both blocktypes, but I seem to remember that on SGI machines
    its only for the boot you need the correct blocksize..

    Come back when your peecee can boot from it ;))

    Glenn, Jan 22, 2004
  10. Ben Hutchings

    Don Quixote Guest

    Mine have been able, for almost ten years.

    Don Quixote, Jan 22, 2004