    edition tablet and a laptop with no serial port.

    TIA

    Ballpoint

    Ballpoint, Sep 26, 2004

  2. Ballpoint

    Quaoar Guest

    Belkin makes a serviceable serial to USB adapter that works for *most*
    serial devices. From my experience with it, the only requirements are
    that the device driver can be installed in the OS, even though there is
    no physical serial port, and a COM port can be defined. The serial to
    USB adapter is then set to address that COM port. So the first thing to
    verify is that you can install the tablet to the laptop. COM4 is a
    commonly available port, and is the default port for the Belkin adapter.
    There are other adapters that might work as well.

    Quaoar, Sep 26, 2004

  3. Yes, there are USB to serial adapters. $15 to $50. The problem is that
    they don't always work. If the software uses standard BIOS and system
    calls, it may work, but if the software tries to access the actual
    hardware registers, and/or if the software is limited to COM1 to COM4
    (or, even worse, COM2), you may be out of luck.

    The other alternative is a PC Card to serial port. These are relatively
    rare and sometimes expensive (sometimes VERY expensive), but they almost
    always work because it's a "real" serial port.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 26, 2004
  4. Best bet is a PCMCIA serial port card:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-5102742-4068717

    Also see:
    http://store.yahoo.com/westcoastmicro/rscoflpcseio.html

    which would require the use of a PCMCIA to CF adapter, but is a little
    more compact to carry around (but more fragile).

    Not cheap, at $50-60, compared to $15-20 for a USB to serial port
    adapter,

    http://store.elementsource.com/btose9cocaus.html

    Sometimes the USB to serial adapters will work, but some older devices
    require a real I/O mapped serial port with IRQ 4 or 3, and the legacy
    serial port address.

    Steven Scharf, Sep 28, 2004