serial port, parallel port required for newer laptops with UNIX

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by surindersingh, Aug 9, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I am looking for a laptop with serial and a parallel port which appears
    to be endangered species now a days.

    So one option is to use PCMCIA-serial card

    I am thinking about buying this one ( it is without serial,parallel
    ports)
    Acer Aspire 5000 ( AMD Turion 64bit with DVDRW )
    http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5000.htm

    I will be using Linux,Solaris ( and never windows ) on the notebook.
    Has anyone used PCMCIA-serial without much trouble on Linux? If yes
    then which brand?

    I will be using serial port among other reasons for programming my
    microcontroller programmer boards using GPUTILS (
    http://gputils.sourceforge.net )

    second option would be USB<->RS232
    Again has anyone used such devices with Linux,Solaris,FreeBSD?
    If yes which brand/model?

    What do I do about parallel port?

    Has anyone found any good Docking Station working great on Linux?

    Thanks
    - Surinder

    surindersingh, Aug 9, 2005

  2. surindersingh

    ross Guest

    I run Ubuntu Linux on my IBM Thinkpad T42. Thinkpads are well
    supported in the Linux world. The T-series Thinpad has a parallel port
    but not an rs232 serial port. FWIW, my Q-Stor PCMCIA-Firewire worked
    "out of the box," no config needed.

    ross, Aug 9, 2005

  3. What's wrong with the Dell Latitude? My D600 has both, and IIRC so
    does the D610...

    William P. N. Smith, Aug 9, 2005
  4. Amazingly, the Dell Inspiron 600m current production laptop has both
    serial and parallel ports built-in.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 11, 2005