    Are serial ports becoming obsolete on notebooks? I was looking at several
    laptops and Toshiba for one does not make any notebooks with serial ports.
    I have several devices that depend on serial to work.

    Pavel, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Pavel

    Andrew Guest

    : Are serial ports becoming obsolete on notebooks? I was looking at several
    : laptops and Toshiba for one does not make any notebooks with serial ports.
    : I have several devices that depend on serial to work.

    This is an FAQ. You have two choices for dealing with serial port
    devices with such a laptop: try a USB-to-serial adaptor (may not work
    for some devices, depends how the drivers were written) or get a PC
    Card that adds real serial ports (a better bet).

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Basically, laptop serial ports are all but extinct. You have 3 options:

    1. Find a laptop that has a serial port (hard to do in a new model)
    2. Use a USB to serial converter. These don't work with all devices.
    3. Use a PC Card serial port. These generally work but are hard to
    find and often expensive.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 19, 2004
  5. Pavel

    Quaoar Guest

    I have several serial devices - Palm, an old digital camera, and a
    scanning radio that require serial. I have excellent results with the
    Belkin F series adapter both on USB 1.1 and USB 2, on both AMD and Intel
    laptops. I think there have been problems with serial GPS devices which
    XP thinks are a mouse of some kind. You might Google Groups the
    *microsoft* newsgroups with "serial usb adapter" and see what's up with
    adapters in general.

    Quaoar, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Pavel

    Pavel Guest

    :
    : This is an FAQ. You have two choices for dealing with serial port
    : devices with such a laptop: try a USB-to-serial adaptor (may not
    work
    : for some devices, depends how the drivers were written) or get a PC
    : Card that adds real serial ports (a better bet).

    Sorry, I had no idea. Thanks for the info.

    Pavel, Jan 19, 2004
  7. Pavel

    Pavel Guest

    : Pavel wrote:

    : : I have several serial devices - Palm, an old digital camera, and a
    : scanning radio that require serial. I have excellent results with
    the
    : Belkin F series adapter both on USB 1.1 and USB 2, on both AMD and
    Intel
    : laptops. I think there have been problems with serial GPS devices
    which
    : XP thinks are a mouse of some kind. You might Google Groups the
    : *microsoft* newsgroups with "serial usb adapter" and see what's up
    with
    : adapters in general.

    Bingo, a serial GPS is what I have and there have been reports of
    serious problems with Microsoft programs such as Streets & Trips when
    using serial to USB adapters.

    Pavel, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Pavel

    Whelan Guest

    I've noticed this too.
    I have two expensive items that require it, a Magellan GPS and a Bernina
    sewing machine (and the Bernina has to be on a laptop!).
    We recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 8500 and it has a serial port. I
    believe the 8600 has the same chassis, so I bet the 8600 has it too.

    I asked Best Buy if the Sonys had serial -- was told "Oh yeah, you don't see
    it because that's what we are using to lock them to the shelf."
    Nan

    Whelan, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Pavel

    Ol' Duffer Guest

    Extinct on cheap consumer stuff. They want you to migrate to USB.
    Tecra S1.
    Me too. Look for small business systems rather than consumer.
    More pricey, but IBM, Gateway, Dell, Toshiba, and Fujitsu still
    make them. I just bought myself a Latitude D600 for Xmas.

    Ol' Duffer, Jan 19, 2004
  10. Pavel

    Quaoar Guest

    LOL! If the Best Buy people spent as much time researching as they do
    inventing BS answers, they would be far ahead. There is no Vaio laptop
    in the current line that has a serial port AFIK.

    Quaoar, Jan 19, 2004
  11. Pavel

    Ron Hubbard Guest

    Look around in a good computer and ask for PS/2 to serial connectors.
    But, hey, it's only marketing the need to push for the up-to-the minute
    technology. Don't buy into it and choose an "older" laptop that has
    serial connectors. I have two and they work great even if they aren't
    brand new.

    Ron

    Ron Hubbard, Jan 19, 2004
  12. Pavel

    Andrew Guest

    : : > Are serial ports becoming obsolete on notebooks? I was looking at
    : several
    : > laptops and Toshiba for one does not make any notebooks with serial
    : ports.
    : > I have several devices that depend on serial to work.
    : >

    : Look around in a good computer and ask for PS/2 to serial
    : connectors.

    Many new laptops do not even have PS/2 connectors anymore. They
    assume you can get a USB keyboard or mouse.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Jan 20, 2004

  13. ?? Thats only for mice - AFAIK.

    Martin Slaney, Jan 20, 2004
  14. Pavel

    Mon Guest

    If by

    Mon, Jan 20, 2004
  15. Pavel

    Mon Guest

    If, by serial port, you mean the one that allows you to display via a data
    projector, I saw one in Brussels airport this week that had one under a
    hidden cover. Its a PCGV505CP. It doesn't have a parallel port, nor does it
    seem to have a port replicator, but I didn't get a long view. It is the same
    width as the PCG-Z600RE which requires a port replicator if you need to do
    presentations (I measured mine against it) but seems to be about 2 inches
    deeper. I didn't notice if this extra depth is replicated in the screen
    size, or if there is a wider border above/below the screen.
    MON

    Mon, Jan 20, 2004
  16. Pavel

    Quaoar Guest

    That port is the VGA (external display port). Laptops have these for
    external monitor and, as you found, projectors. It is about the same
    size as a serial port, but completely different function.

    Quaoar, Jan 22, 2004