Serial Tcp device (Tcp client mode)

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Pratik, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. Pratik

    Pratik Guest

    I am looking for a device, a variant of Serial Tcp device server which
    can open a tcp connection to a server on a specified port and transfer
    data back and forth between serial port and our server whenever a
    request starts on the serial port.
    The device should close the tcp connection after 30 seconds of
    inactivity.

    The device should configure its network interface using a dhcp server
    on the network. The serial port baud rates should also be configurable
    like other Serial Tcp device servers.

    Note: The serial port is connected to a Pos terminal using 3 wires - Tx
    Rx and Gnd. The device will have to poll on the serial port for data.
    It cannot rely on DCD, DTR or DSR for presence of data.

    POS terminal <-> Serial Tcp device (Tcp client mode) <-> Internet <->
    Transaction Server

    I need a quite a few of these devices, 300 to start with. Do you guys
    know of any such device?

    Pratik, Jan 13, 2005

  2. Pratik

    Richard H. Guest

    Sounds like a neat opportunity!

    While this isn't a difficult spec, your requirements are pretty
    special-purpose. Consider adapting an existing product like
    http://www.picoweb.net, which is designed to be tailored - by far the
    fastest / easiest option since its ready to go except for code tweaks.
    And it'd be easy to adapt if you want to customize the physical
    interfaces, etc.

    If space is a concern, you could look at building one with the Lantronix
    X-Port or Digi's Digi-Me MCU-in-an-ethernet-jack units. The development
    time would be low, but the cost would be higher. Similarly, something
    like a RabbitSemiconductor.com module or many similar products could be
    used to quickly design your own, but the size will be larger.

    Richard

    Richard H., Jan 13, 2005

  3. The company I used to work for makes widgets that do that:

    http://www.comtrol.com/products/catalog.asp?product=dmrts

    I think it will meet your requirements right out of the box. If
    not, there's a software development kit available with which
    you can write a custom application to put into flash.

    Grant Edwards, Jan 13, 2005
  4. Pratik

    S. Harnek Guest

    Hi Pratik,

    Take a look at the iConnector device from http://www.connectone.com - it is
    a small neat gadget that has a serial port connection and can dial out via
    normal or GPRS modems and provides a simple interface for Http, FTP, email
    etc. One feature, called SerialNET, appears to provide a transparent serial
    interface over the Internet but I haven't used that portion yet.

    Works great for me, used on our headless SBC-based controller to FTP files
    and send email, and is about US$90 in single pieces although I heard
    several feature specific versions are coming out for about US$45 each. BTW,
    I am not associated with them - just a customer.

    Good luck.

    Harnek
    Axel Systems (SGP)

    S. Harnek, Jan 14, 2005
  5. Pratik

    mike Guest

    There is the uNetserial device that is alot like the iConnector for about
    $35. www.nchip.com

    -M

    mike, Jan 21, 2005