    Any help appreciated. BTW, the system works fine with the ide drive used on
    an ide channel.
    Rsloan

    RESloan, Nov 10, 2003

  2. RESloan

    TomG Guest

    did you do a fresh install when you moved this drive over or just booting
    the same OS from a different controller? before the move, was the
    controller enabled and drivers loaded for the SATA channel (assuming raid
    mode enabled which does not require you to actually use the SATA controller
    with a raid array...) or is the SATA channel just being used as a regular
    IDE controller (as you said, enhanced mode ide 3)?

    just to eliminate any problems with RAM as this has a feel of some of the
    known RAM issues on the 875PE/865PE boards, how long was the board in use in
    the previous configuration and running stable? is the DDR voltage at stock
    or has it been raised to 2.7? are RAM timings on the Advanced Chipset
    Features page at "By SPD" or are they set manual and if manual, what are
    they set to?

    frequently, the ddr voltage on these boards needs to be raised to 2.7 and
    the ram needs to be taken off "By SPD" and manually set for a timing setup
    and I usually recommend that you start at the highest numbers and work your
    way down.

    lastly, do you overclock and if so, have you locked the AGP and PCI busses
    in the Softmenu setup? that usually needs to be done as well, especially if
    the SATA controller is in use.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 118,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Nov 10, 2003

  3. RESloan

    RESloan Guest

    did you do a fresh install when you moved this drive over or just booting
    I did a fresh install of xp using the IDE drive in IDE channel. I did OC
    (2.6 to 3.2) with vcore raised to 1.575. Mem is running at rated values,
    PC3200 Geil at 198Mhz(5/4). Gat at A A A D D. Other voltages unchanged.
    Ran cpu burn in a couple hours with no stability issues. Then I hooked up
    the drive to serillel and plugged into sata 1 connector. Went to bios and
    enabled sata as a regular ide controller. It worked some in enhanced or
    auto modes. RAID not enabled. I disabled bios/video caching, bus
    mastering, etc, but no effect. I did get into windows once long enough to
    run sandra drive bench, but it was not quite as fast as ide channel. But
    then it began to crash repeatedly???

    In use a couple days, voltage stock, manual settings 2 6 3 3 as spec'd.

    I did not OC while trying to set up the sata-ide channel. Busses are
    locked.

    RSloan

    RESloan, Nov 10, 2003
  4. RESloan

    TomG Guest

    just to eliminate the other potential causes, I would put PAT/GAT to Auto
    and consider raising the DDR voltage to 2.65 or 2.70. if XP boots at all,
    the I would say that the different IDE channel is not throwing it a curve
    ball as the usual behavior if a drive controller change throws XP a curve is
    that it won't boot or won't boot all the way.

    if you don't have too much invested in the current installation, you may
    want to start fresh with the drive on the SATA controller. I'd be sort of
    surprised that the drive would perform slower on the ICH5-R SATA controller
    unless the drive doesn't like the Serillel-2 adapter for some reason... I
    say this because the ICH5 SATA controller is not on the PCI bus and has
    dedicated bandwidth. as a result, it does not have to share the bandwidth
    with other PCI bus devices...

    TomG, Nov 11, 2003
  5. RESloan

    RESloan Guest

    Will give this a try tomorrow. I have had problems with it not booting all
    the way as well. Also seems like bus mastering has to be on to boot all the
    way? Gat is auto auto auto dis dis.
    Right although I did hear that the ICHR5 controller handled the IDE ports as
    well. At this point since I am just putting the system together, I don't
    have any other pci devices installed except cd drives/not active in test -
    but this will change later. A fresh install sounds like a good idea. This
    drive also sandra tested about 400 MB/s faster in my via 133a chipset amd
    system than either of the intel controllers?? I do have the latest
    Intel.inf installed. I am just hoping that there's not a problem with my
    new MB . . .

    RESloan, Nov 11, 2003
  6. RESloan

    TomG Guest

    400 MB/s (as in megaBYTES/sec) faster??!! even it if was 400 mbits/sec
    faster that would certainly indicate something is very wrong with throughput
    on the IC7-G. mine is very quick and very happy with the ICH5 SATA Raid 0
    performance as it beats any of the Highpoint based raids I ever ran.

    TomG, Nov 11, 2003
  7. RESloan

    John Lewis Guest

    Ummmm............SATA is 150 Mbytes/sec max, I believe................

    Wonder what the OP is smoking ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Nov 11, 2003
  8. RESloan

    John Lewis Guest

    Did you set AGP/PCI frequency as FIXED ? You WILL get SATA
    problems if you don't, on both ICH5R and SI.

    I accidentally forgot to do this once when playing round with
    overclock settings and wondered why my ICH5R disks suddenly ceased
    functioning properly. Fortunately, I do not run my OS from these
    disks, so it was trivial for me to diagnose/backtrack/fix the problem.

    Also, did you install the WD120 on your SATA port and run a full
    surface check using Partition Magic floppy backup disks or similar
    before installing your OS ? This will not only check the integrity of
    the disk but also the integrity of the interfaces and the "stability"
    of the MB/CPU settings. It takes quite a while to complete this test,
    so any electrons dropped on the way WILL be noticed.

    Also,I wish people would get a their system running STABLY in their
    FINAL hardware-configuration at DEFAULT MB settings BEFORE any
    attempts at overclocking or other Softmenu speed-tweaks. And then
    tweak the overclock parameters *one at a time*, checking stability
    of ALL functions carefully after each tweak. Might even take a day or
    two to optimise everything.....

    At least 90% of those wailing about system stability issues on this
    newsgroup seem to result from not building the system in a methodical
    step-by-step fashion, checking functionality at each step, especially
    if the system components are brand-new to the builder.
    Mostly a case of Bull-in-china-shop "more haste less speed".

    BTW, I am running 2 WD120 Gbyte units on my IC7-G ICH5R
    SATA ( non-RAID) using 2 Serillel2 with zero problem. Overclocked,
    but with AGP/PCI set to FIXED 66/33.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Nov 11, 2003
  9. RESloan

    RESloan Guest

    Sorry, that's kb/s. . .in sandra.

    RESloan, Nov 11, 2003
  10. RESloan

    RESloan Guest

    Yes, it is fixed. . .
    This is a new drive, and I had it on the ide port when I installed xp. I
    ran Norton disk doctor and win doctor after this-win had some errors that it
    fixed, but disk checked ok. After all was running fine I oced the unit and
    ran cpuburn. No problems at all at oc to 3.2Ghz. Over this and it wasnt
    stable. Then I set the speed to normal, no oc, and moved the drive to the
    sata port and this is when the problem started. For my FINAL setup I intend
    to get a couple raptors for a raid array when the new ones come out, and
    want to have the wd as a data drive on ide 1, and my optical drives on ide
    2. So, this was more of an experiment to check out sata-ide, to see if it
    was faster and also if the new board was working properly. Im going to try
    installing xp with the drive on sata channel, and up the mem voltage as
    suggested by Tom and see what happens. BTW, the mem is not oced. Until I
    get things working well, I dont intend to OC anything. This does seem like
    a lot of work just to mess with sata, which heretofore I have no experience
    with.

    RESloan, Nov 11, 2003
  11. RESloan

    TomG Guest

    ah!

    TomG, Nov 11, 2003
  12. RESloan

    TomG Guest

    SATA has not been a lot of work for me to get working... however, there are
    some tricks to getting the board stable with some memory configurations.

    TomG, Nov 11, 2003
  13. RESloan

    Mecho Guest

    Remove the jumper from the harddrive and see how that works.

    Mecho, Nov 11, 2003
  14. RESloan

    John Lewis Guest

    A Very Good point.

    On the WD120, if the jumper is left on for Master, it must be in a
    specific HORIZONTAL position, otherwise completely removed.

    The SATA-IDE interface will not work unless the disk is deliberately
    set to master.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Nov 11, 2003
  15. RESloan

    RESloan Guest

    As I mentioned earlier, the HD has no jumper - as per single drive with the
    WD.

    RESloan, Nov 12, 2003