    Now, if I could select "Ignore" or "Ignore All" I guess I could save the rest of my disk's content, but the show stopper here is, that my tablet is a real slate (i.e. has no keyboard attached) and so I can only attach a USB keyboard to the device. That keyboard, however, is apparently not yet active or not yet recognized during this early phase of the boot process and so I can hit whatever I want on the keyboard, there is no reaction, i.e. I can not tell that darn program to continue and ignore that bad block and hence I can not save my harddisk's content.

    Any idea, what one could do here? I have run out of ideas, what to do at this stage. And I *hate* the idea, of having to restart essentially with a factory restored machine...

    Michael

    Michael Moser, Mar 29, 2009

  2. Michael Moser

    Jan Wagner Guest

    Hi,

    Strange, since Acronis TrueImage does allow to back up the live
    system drive, perhaps a feature disabled in Disk Director(?)
    Install the drive into a laptop and boot from the Disk Director CD
    to make the backup? Or use a desktop or laptop and one of those USB
    enclosures you can find e.g. by googling for '1.8" ide to usb
    enclosure'?

    - Jan

    Jan Wagner, Mar 30, 2009

  3. Hallo Michael,
    a really bad situation :-(
    This is one if the scenarios where I love good old COMPAQ's construction
    of the "hybrid" having a detachable keyboard which unfortunately has
    been abonded up by HP :-( :-(

    Michael Moser wrote:

    [TI]
    I'm not sure how TI (which I have been using for quite some time) will
    handle the bad sectors - never had that so far. But for sure it would be
    worth a try.

    TI is really powerful. A while ago I was able to backup (no image) the
    data from a seriously bad HDD of my son's computer.
    Not even Bart's PE was able to see the bad drive attached to my desktop
    machine. TI, however - run from it's emergency CD - was able see most
    of the data and so I could save them.
    You'll have to it from some other computer.
    In addition to Jan's valuable advice:
    Instead of using a USB-enclosure for the notebook-drive you might just
    buy an IDE-adapter for attaching the notebook drive to a desktop
    I fully understand this.
    But as you have TI, didn't you save the system to image-files from time
    to time?
    Doing this at least once the system and the programs are installed, IMO
    is a true must.

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Mar 30, 2009
  4. Have you checked in the BIOS of the slate for an option for USB
    keyboards? A lot of times there's a legacy option for USB
    keyboards...it might help in this case.

    Steve Jain [MVP], Mar 30, 2009