Seriously underclocked

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Mark Adams, Jan 10, 2004.

  1. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    I know it's ancient history, but I'm putting together a machine for my 7
    y.o. son.

    I ran across this mobo from a salvaged system
    (http://web.epox.com/html/motherboard.asp?product=EP-58MVP3C-M&lang=1)
    and replaced the AMD-K6 233 with a K6-2 450 that I bought for next to
    nothing on eBay. Well, come to find out the Epox 58MVP3C-m only
    supports K6-2 when it's revision 1.0 or greater
    (http://web.epox.com/html/support-article.asp?Article=4p3T3LF41F4r3HH01c0X1bm00IO32no11fY33L).

    I've looked at the board and don't see any reference to a revision
    number and I've only been able to get the CPU up to 350 MHz. Is there
    some off chance that I've missed something and actually can squeeze that
    last 100 MHz out of this chip?

    I've got the jumpers set this way:

    Multiplier = 5
    Bus clock = 100 MHz
    CPU voltage = 2.2 v(chip is rated at 2.5v)

    I've played with them a bit bit they didn't make much difference -- 350
    MHz was the best I could get.

    Thanks.

    Seriously underclocked,

    Mark

    Mark Adams, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Mark Adams

    boostland Guest

    2.2 volts is to low for that cpu that could be what is stopping it running
    at the proper speed.
    If you set the multiplier a 2x the chip will run at 6x.
    That would be way to much for a k6 3, the later mobile k6 3+ chips could hit
    600mhz tho.
    I have a k6 3 400 running in a old asus tx board @ 6 x 75 mhz. 2.7v

    boostland, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Thanks for the reply boost. Okay if I read you correctly, I need to up
    the voltage on the chip (which is rated at 2.5v) to 2.8v (the only step
    up) and watch the temp.
    and stability.

    This FAQ seems to describe a way that I may be able to select more than
    the documented voltages:

    http://web.epox.com/html/motherboar...ne41B4s3h0hc1x0B1M00iO3x2l1c14X3c2P3O2Rr32oC3

    Problem is, I don't know how to read this table:

    ===========Quote:
    Additional core voltage options.
    On selected models further core voltage selections may be used even
    though no actual jumper option is listed. Two jumpers must be used to
    obtain additional voltages that are not listed in the documention or
    board surface. Listed below are these optional core voltage options that
    can be obtained. Not all models and board revisions will have jumpers
    for all core voltages listed below. Only use core voltages for which
    your processor (CPU) is rated for!

    No voltage jumpers = 2.0v (approx.),
    Jumper 2.1 and 2.2 = 2.3v (approx.),
    Jumper 2.1 and 2.4 = 2.5v (approx.),
    Jumper 2.2 and 2.4 = 2.6v (approx.),
    Jumper 2.1 and 2.8 = 2.9v (approx.),
    Jumper 2.2 and 2.9 = 3.1v (approx.),
    Jumper 2.1 and 3.2 = 3.3v (approx.),
    Jumper 2.2 and 3.2 = 3.4v (approx.),
    Jumper 2.4 and 3.2 = 3.5v (approx.).
    ========End Quote

    The jumpers are simply five pairs that setup like this in the docs.

    1+6 = 2.1 volts reserved
    2+7 = 2.2 volts reserved for AMD K6 3D CPU's in the future
    3+8 = 2.8 volts for Pemtium MMX and Cyrix 6x86L
    4+9 = 2.9 volts for AMD K6 PR2-166200MHz and Cyrix 6x86MX
    5+10= 3.2 volts for AMD K6 PR2-233MHz

    The most obvious interpretation is that if I use a jumper to select
    2.1volts (pins 1+6) and add another jumper for 2.4volts (which I don't
    see), I get a total of 2.5volts(?) Makes me think this mobo is NOT a
    "selected model".

    But are you also saying I could only do this in this motherboard with a
    K6-3?

    Thanks for the help and sorry for the peskiness, but the more I read
    about this stuff, the more confused I get.

    Mark

    Mark Adams, Jan 10, 2004
  4. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Okay, I got it.

    According to the system monitor it is drawing 2.75 volts. So far,it is
    stable and the chip's temp.is reading right at 65C (149F).

    I'm pretty happy.

    Thanks!

    Mark

    Mark Adams, Jan 10, 2004