Server 2003 on a P2L97-DS shows only one CPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ChinnoDog, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. ChinnoDog

    ChinnoDog Guest

    I am trying to install Server 2003 on my P2L97-DS with 2 PII/300's. The
    computer is detected as MPS Multiprocessor but task manager and system info
    show it has only 1 CPU. (I've never seen this before! If it knows it is
    multiprocessor, why doesn't it see the CPU????) I tried updating the bios
    from the last production bios, 1008, to the latest beta bios, 1010 beta 4.
    System info then showed that this BIOS has ACPI support. So I started over
    and did a fresh install. The same thing happens. I then attempted to
    manually select the kernel by pressing F5 during setup. Setting it to ACPI
    Multiprocessor causes setup to hang during the first part right after it is
    finished loading drivers and is starting the kernel. (Meaning, before I get
    any more prompts after selecting the kernel.) I tried changing the MPS 1.4
    support off and on and tried turning plug and play off and on to see if that
    would make a difference, but it doesn't. I reset all settings in my BIOS
    and reconfigured in case there was a hidden setting left over from the
    previous version of the BIOS. Nothing.

    This PC runs Windows 2000 server just fine. I have been using this PC since
    I built it in 1998 first as my workstation and now my server. When in 2000
    it was using the MPS Multiprocessor kernel as well. (Except, of course, it
    worked!)

    Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

    ChinnoDog, Oct 31, 2003

  2. ChinnoDog

    ChinnoDog Guest

    Yes, I am using Klamath processors. Well this blows major goats, especially
    since WinXP ran just fine (SMP wise) and this is supposed to be the server
    version. I considered getting two Celeron 550's with slotkets at one point
    but chose to pick up the second PII instead. I guess I'm stuck on 2000
    server forever. Or Redhat... but I already have one of those. Thanks for
    the info.

    ChinnoDog, Nov 1, 2003

  3. ChinnoDog

    P2B Guest

    I have several modified and tested for Tualatin P2B-DS 1.06 boards in
    stock, PM me if interested.
    Ironic indeed... I wonder if it could be fixed with a hack?

    P2B, Nov 1, 2003
  4. ChinnoDog

    P2B Guest

    I still have my original modded-for-SMP Celeron 300As, and I doubt I'll
    ever use them again. PM me if interested.

    P2B, Nov 1, 2003
  5. ChinnoDog

    Ixnei Guest

    It's because Micros~1 pulls this sort of shit, over and over ad nauseum,
    that I will NEVER purchase one of their OS's again (nor will I use one,
    unless absolutely necessary). These sorts of actions are classic. Same
    goes for Intel, not ensuring support for Xeon MP's in newer server OS's...

    --
    We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 13 years now, bombing their
    country on at least a weekly basis.

    Ixnei, Nov 1, 2003
  6. ChinnoDog

    ChinnoDog Guest

    I wish there was a hack. I tried a couple unlikely hacks myself... like
    trying to put the Win2k kernel into Win2k3. This thing isn't worth
    upgrading. Its only 300Mhz and 100% SCSI. Thanks for the offer though.
    Maybe support will appear in the next release of Windows. After, all, the
    ability to name folders in Win95 with alt+255 characters was fixed in 98 and
    then reappeared in ME. (If you don't know that one, try it. Do it from a
    DOS prompt and then try to delete the folder in Explorer.)

    ChinnoDog, Nov 6, 2003
  7. ChinnoDog

    ChinnoDog Guest

    Not to be ungrateful, but its already slow enough as it is! Plus, without
    L2 cache and only a 66Mhz bus between them I would think they would spend
    their days waiting for data off the bus instead of executing opcodes.

    ChinnoDog, Nov 6, 2003
  8. ChinnoDog

    P2B Guest

    You're correct - your P2L97-DS would not be able to take advantage of
    these processors. They are the 'A' version with 128KB of full-speed L2
    cache (vs. 512KB half-speed on your PII 300s), and spent their days at
    504Mhz (112Mhz FSB). Mind you, Server 2003 *would* be able to use them
    both...

    P2B, Nov 6, 2003
  9. ChinnoDog

    P2B Guest

    I tend to agree - with a maximum FSB of 83Mhz, your upgrade options are
    severely limited.

    P2B, Nov 6, 2003