    I have a 36Gb Raptor on SATA0 and a 250GB deskstar on IDE1.

    On boot up the SATA raptor is configured as drive 2 and the Deskstar IDE1 is
    configured as Drive 1. I want to have the SATA drive as drive 1.

    Pete Smith, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Is the Raptor connected to the SATA 0 port on the motherboard?, is the 250GB
    IDE drive connected to an IDE cable and connected to the motherboard as IDE
    0?

    I ask this just to ensure you have everything connected up correctly.
    Now...enter BIOS and hit "F1", scroll down and find Intergrated Peripherals.
    You Must set the onboard Intel SATA controller to "Manual", and set SATA
    Port 0 - Configure As SATA Port 0

    Now you must set your boot order, you'll find this in Advanced BIOS Options,
    you will see options to set your first, second and third boot device:

    First Boot Device: Floppy
    Second Boot Device: CD-ROM
    Third Boot device: HDD

    I would also suggest you disable the ITE GigaRAID controller and Silicon
    Image SATA controller.

    Richard Dower, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Pete Smith

    Pete Smith Guest

    Richard. Thanks for the reply. Sadly it doesn't work.

    Yes Raptor is connected on SATA0
    Yes 250GB IDE is connected to an IDE cable and connected to the
    motherboard as IDE 0? - Actually on it's label is IDE1 there is no IDE0

    I set onboard SATA to maual and set SATA port 0 as SATA Port 0

    I set boot order.

    System boots off the SATA drive ok but it still sees SATA as drive 2 and IDA
    as drive 1.

    This causes performance slow doen.

    Pete Smith, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Pete Smith

    Tim Guest

    What do you mean by:

    System boots off the SATA drive ok but it still sees SATA as drive 2 and IDA
    as drive 1.

    IE: where is this (drive 1 vs 2) displayed and why do you think it is of
    concern?

    If you are referring to the POST screen where the drives are first listed,
    this is the customary order of display IE 1st IDE channel Master, then Slave
    followed by next IDE channel (master & slave) ... followed by each enabled
    contoller with its PATA and SATA drives. This is the standard order of
    enumeration and has no impact on performance itself. You will get an
    elongated boot time if you have excess controllers enabled as each
    controller will initialise, look for drives and check configuration.

    Why do you think this slows things down? (I am not doubting you, just trying
    to understand the manifestation of the problem so gain an insight into why /
    how a slowdown could occur etc.)

    For 8KNXP, you might have installed the drive on the Silicon Image
    controller inadvertantly in which case you will get another phase during
    POST before drives are listed. Similarly if it is on the Intel (On Chip)
    controller another screen appears prior to POST, but this flashes by quite
    quickly and appears only if RAID is enabled.

    What OS are you running?

    - Tim

    Tim, Jul 12, 2004