Setting up a JetDirect 500x

Discussion in 'HP' started by Ken, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I have a JetDirect 500X that I want to set up on a friend's system.
    Using Web Jet Admin, I have found how to set up a static IP address for
    the 500x on my system, which is 192.168.0.140, where my gateway router
    is 192.168.0.100 and my assigned IP address run from .101 to .137, I
    believe.

    The other system's DHCP hub/router/gateway is 192.168.11.1. What I
    would like to do is to assign an address to the 500X before I leave the
    house to go to his by using the Web Jet Admin. The question I have is
    whether that can be done, and, if so, how. By setting the configuration
    to manual, I can enter the new IP address (192.168.11.40) but do I also
    have to enter the gateway on his system or the gateway on the system
    that is configuring the JetDirect at the time?

    (I think that if worse comes to worst I can do a reset at his house to
    get back to 192.0.0.192 default and then hope that the DHCP assigns an
    address to the JetDirect. I can then print out the report by attaching
    the printer to port #1 on the router and then use Web Jet Admin, but I
    thought it would be more "elegant" to set it up before I left so that I
    could just plug the JD500x in. I really don't know all that much about
    how to program dumb devices like the 500x).

    Many thanks,
    Ken K

    Ken, Dec 17, 2003

  2. On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 07:57:12 -0800, Ken

    |I have a JetDirect 500X that I want to set up on a friend's system.
    | Using Web Jet Admin, I have found how to set up a static IP address for
    |the 500x on my system, which is 192.168.0.140, where my gateway router
    |is 192.168.0.100 and my assigned IP address run from .101 to .137, I
    |believe.
    |
    |The other system's DHCP hub/router/gateway is 192.168.11.1. What I
    |would like to do is to assign an address to the 500X before I leave the
    |house to go to his by using the Web Jet Admin. The question I have is
    |whether that can be done, and, if so, how. By setting the configuration
    |to manual, I can enter the new IP address (192.168.11.40) but do I also
    |have to enter the gateway on his system or the gateway on the system
    |that is configuring the JetDirect at the time?
    |
    |(I think that if worse comes to worst I can do a reset at his house to
    |get back to 192.0.0.192 default and then hope that the DHCP assigns an
    |address to the JetDirect. I can then print out the report by attaching
    |the printer to port #1 on the router and then use Web Jet Admin, but I
    |thought it would be more "elegant" to set it up before I left so that I
    |could just plug the JD500x in. I really don't know all that much about
    |how to program dumb devices like the 500x).

    You don't necessarily program the 500x. You assign the various
    potential ports, 1, 2 or 3, to the printers when you set them up on
    the individual boxes.

    Matter of contention, Jan 16, 2004