Setting up OS 10.3.6 Mail for 2 different mail accounts

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Paul Soderman, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. I've only recently set up my Mail function in OS 10.3.6 and I apologize
    if this is a dumb question, but I couldn't make this work using the
    application Help.

    I've got 2 email accounts; one with my cable ISP and one with AOL. I want
    both to be accessible using the OS X Mail function. I got the cable
    provider email to come through OK, but I'm not sure that I'm correctly
    setting up the AOL mail information so as to permit Mail to access that
    account, as well. In the Preferences pane, I'm putting in the AOL mail
    address right after the cable one, separated by a comma, but I don't
    understand if or whether I should be putting the AOL password somewhere
    so as to permit Mail to access that account. The Help instructions say
    nothing about another password, leading me to believe that perhaps the
    application is intended to access accounts with only one mail provider,
    using the same password for each account.

    Am I missing something, or just trying to do something that shouldn't
    be tried with one account setting?

    Thanks for any help,
    Paul

    Paul Soderman, Dec 16, 2004

  2. In the Mail preferences, choose the Accounts part where you type in the
    server details. Click the "plus" (+) sign at the bottom. It will add
    another entry to the list. Enter the details for each account in
    separate entries; Mail will check them all as long as the "Enable this
    account" and "Include when automatically checking for mail" options are
    checked - see the "Advanced" tab for each account.

    Cheers,

    Matthew.

    Matthew Kirkcaldie, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Paul Soderman

    Gerry Guest

    If you go to Mail's preferences and select the Accounts option, there
    now is a window for entering any number of email accounts to add a new
    account simply click the plus button in the lower left-hand corner you
    will have a blank form to enter your AOL information.

    Gerry

    Gerry, Dec 17, 2004
  4. Paul Soderman

    JS Guest

    and then name the new entry something like AOL mail or whatever, and
    fill in the boxes on the right side of the window of the accounts pane
    as follows:

    Account type: IMAP
    email address: your AOL email address, i.e.
    Full name: yours
    incoming mail server: imap.aol.com
    User name: your AOL user name
    Password: your AOL password
    outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.comcast.net.yourcomcastusername

    Then go to the advanced tab in the same window and enable this new
    account for Mail.

    I forget where I found this info but it works fine. Like the OP, I have
    Comcast cable too but have kept my old AOL account for use when visiting
    relatives, so this "fix" is very useful for me. Hope this helps some
    others.

    Janet

    JS, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Paul Soderman

    bakerwdesign Guest

    site.

    They changed things about 6 months ago and now allow standard IMAP
    connections and SMTP out using SMTP AUTH. See another post in this
    thread.

    David

    bakerwdesign, Dec 18, 2004