    Nov 12, 2021
    Hello, I'm very new to RAID,, Never set one up and need a little help. I just built a Home NAS Server consisting of an Asus B550 MB (AMD) - 16GB RAM with 4 - 4TB Iron Wolf Pro Hard Drives for Media content. I also have a 1 TB SSD i will install Operating system and programs too. I would like to set up RAID-0 to the 4 Iron Wolfs and not the SSD. My backup will be on a client machine containing a separate 16TB Drive.. What i'm seeing in the manual leads me to think all the drives connected to the SATA ports will have to be set to RAID, which really screws up my plan.. Hoping some of you guys/gals can help a tinker get this right.. Thanks much in advance. - Kirk

    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    kirkelli, Nov 12, 2021
  2. kirkelli

    mattieberry

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2022
    This is only my 2nd computer build, so thanks in advance for your advice! Two questions:

    1. I have two identical M.2 4.0 1TB cards installed, and I'm wondering if I can/should use them in a RAID setup so that I can use a "single" 2TB drive for my OS and programs/games? NOTE: on the ASUS TUF B550-Plus motherboard, one M.2 slot is PCIe 4.0, and the other is only 3.0.
    -If YES, how do I do this (I've never set up RAID before).
    -If NO, do you have suggestions for the best use of each drive separately? (dedicated OS drive (and which one?) and games/programs drive?)

    2. Which of the ASUS programs/drivers do I actually need for this mobo?

    Other rig info:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X
    GPU: MSI Mech Radeon 5700

    mattieberry, Apr 19, 2022
  3. kirkelli

    JacobMR

    AFAIK, you should be able to pick specific SATA drives under each RAID, it's not mandatory for all of them to be under RAID. Under Intel RAPID option in BIOS, you can create a RAID volume and then select which drives you want in that RAID - just select your hard drives and leave the SSD as it is.

    JacobMR, May 9, 2022