    the iMac in order to amke this happen?

    TIA

    Paul T.

    Paul Tarantino, Feb 24, 2005

  2. Paul Tarantino

    Király Guest

    If that doesn't work (the Get Info method for changing permissions
    recursively is notoriusly flaky) you can launch Terminal, and type:

    sudo chown -r [her-username] [drag her home folder to the Terminal window
    and press return]

    Enter your admin password when prompted.

    To avoid having this problem in the future, just log in under her account
    when transferring the files to her user folder. That way all of the
    permissions will be assigned to her rather than to you.

    K.

    Király, Feb 24, 2005

  3. You have already received advice on how to work around the current problem.

    The proper procedure to do what you wanted to do was:

    1) copy files to external HD
    2) Create her account on the iMac
    3) Mount the external drive, use "Get Info" to tell OSX to "Ignore permissions
    on this volume"
    4) Log in as *her* (!)
    5) copy files into her home directory in the proper places...

    OSX's basic rule of file ownership is very simple - if you create it,
    you own it. Copying files from one drive to another via the finder is
    "creating" them on the new drive. So you want to make sure that the
    desired owner of the file is the one doing the copying.

    So you want to "pull" files into an account, rather than trying to
    "push" them in. :)

    #! rnews 1165
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
    From: "Default User" <>
    Subject: Re: [OT] Where do you buy your books from?
    Sender: (Boeing NNTP News Access)
    Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:09:18 GMT
    Please quote to provide context to your message. Using Google, click
    "show options" then use the Reply shown in the expanded header.

    For technical books, http://bookpool.com is usually better than regular
    on-line book sellers, who tend not to discount those very much.

    Brian

    James Glidewell, Feb 25, 2005
  4. Paul Tarantino

    Anno Siegel Guest