    folder sharing with simple procedure.

    For security reason, i don't feel like let the shared
    folder always open. Any suggestion ?? Thanks.

    iFly, Sep 30, 2003

  2. iFly

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Sep 30, 2003

  3. iFly

    iFly Guest

    The OS i am using is tablet version XP and the sharing is
    just on a LAN. Posted at a network forum before, negative
    answer received. Hope anyone here can help. ??

    iFly, Sep 30, 2003
  4. iFly

    Chris H. Guest

    On the Tablet PC you can go into Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab and
    all the way at the bottom is "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)."
    Remove the check mark from the box, and then go into Windows Explorer,
    right-click the file or folder and select Sharing and Security... where you
    can modify the behavior of the file. I don't know of a quick-and-easy
    method to toggle the access, except that you can password the file/folder to
    limit access. Remember, too, unless you've got your Tablet wide open to
    sharing everything on a LAN all the time, you can limit access to anything
    by passwording it. You could, depending on the type of file you're trying
    to protect, establish a separate folder specifically for that file and only
    place it there for access when you want.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Sep 30, 2003
  5. The simple and easy way is two one line scripts (.bat or .cmd files), one to
    share, one to unshare. Put links to them on your desktop and simply
    doubleclick on the one you want.

    To share:
    net share sharename=drive:path

    To unshare:
    net share sharename /delete

    You can't specify which users have access to the share, or what permissions
    are on the share from this interface, though you _could_ do it using more
    sophisticated scripting tools.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.

    Charlie Russel