    So basically my goal is to share the Airport Connection, using the
    second USB connection. Can I do that?

    Thanks!

    Justin, Jun 10, 2010

  2. Why? If your airport connects to the internet, why can't you just have a
    second computer on the same wifi network? If you want to share printers or
    files across the wifi network you can do it as if they are all connected to
    the same ethernet.

    If you could figure out how to get your Mac to do what you ask, you are
    going to have two problems. No matter how you do it, your Mac will take in
    a packet of data and send it out again, cutting the speed of the network in
    half for the second computer.

    The second is that they will interfere with each other, so you have one
    put them on separate channels (at least one apart) or one on 2.4 and the
    other on 5.8 gHz (if legal where you are) and physically separate them
    by several feet.

    I do something similar with a wifi cardbus card (faster than the
    internal airport card) and a bluetooth dongle on an old G4 powerbook.
    They both use 2.4gHz, and if I have them both on the computer, I have
    trouble accessing a wifi network 15 feet away.

    Putting the dongle on the far end of a 1m USB extension cord fixed the problem.

    If you can only have one computer on the wifi network, or you need to run
    tunneling (VPN) software, consider getting a router instead and using
    it to access the network though the Wifi and providing you with 4 ethernet
    ports.

    Note that not all routers can do this and most can not do tunneling via
    the Wifi port.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jun 10, 2010

  3. Justin

    Guest Guest

    most likely it's because the wifi network is paid and tied to a single
    mac address, such as a wifi hotspot in a hotel.
    that's probably an acceptable tradeoff.
    not necessarily. using a usb wifi stick and setting them to channels
    far enough apart should suffice.

    i have a linksys router that can join one wifi network and rebroadcast
    it on another. it's about the size of an ipod classic and fantastic for
    traveling.
    all the ones i've ever used do.

    Guest, Jun 10, 2010
  4. Why can't the other party just log on, too? Does your WiFi router limit
    you to only one connection?

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 10, 2010
  5. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Yes, if somebody else logs on using the same account the other machine
    gets disconnected.

    Justin, Jun 11, 2010
  6. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Because it is a hotel network with one account. If somebody else signs
    on with the same account the first guy gets knocked offline - to the
    login page. This has happened more times than I can count.
    For example, I'll be on a webpage, click on a link and be greeted with
    the login page.
    Why would the speed be cut in half? I want the Mac to act as a router,
    routers don't cut speed in half.
    Or I can have on on channel 1, the other on channel 6 or 11.
    I can't do that. The router needs to have the ability to bring up a
    webpage and login via the web interface.

    Justin, Jun 11, 2010
  7. Justin

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Because the radio is half duplex. The Mac acting as router must first
    receive the packet and then transmit it so the local network can receive
    it.

    Tom Stiller, Jun 11, 2010
  8. I can't do that. The router needs to have the ability to bring up a
    webpage and login via the web interface.[/QUOTE]

    The router should pass the web page through to the computer. Then you
    should be able to log on, and then log the other computer on too.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 11, 2010
  9. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Hence I'm thinking of using another USB 802.11 adapter other than the
    built in Airport.
    Which is what I have to do anyway since Snow Leopard's built in Internet
    connection sharing won't let me choose the Airport as both.

    Justin, Jun 11, 2010
  10. Justin

    Justin Guest

    How can the router get an IP address wirelessly? Remember I do not have
    access to an ethernet port.

    Justin, Jun 11, 2010
  11. How can the router get an IP address wirelessly? Remember I do not have
    access to an ethernet port.[/QUOTE]

    It gets one the same way it would get one through ethernet. You configure
    it with a web browser or provided utility.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 11, 2010
  12. Get an Airport Express. It should do the job for you.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 11, 2010
  13. Justin

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Insuficient data. MBP and what? MBP has an Ethernet port,
    so you are saying the "what" doesn't?

    Is there a financial limit?

    If "what" has ethernet, use a crossover cable or two cables
    and a switch to connect MBP to "what" Configure NAT on MBP.

    If "what" has no ethernet port, connect a WiFi AP to the
    Macbook Pro's Ethernet. Set it to a different channel,
    different SSID from the hotel's.

    Now my knowledge gets fuzzy. In both these scenarios, I think,
    the MBP is a router with NAT. So the hotel will not see a
    second IP address, and will not need another login?

    Unless it's working by cookies or session IDs.

    Wes Groleau, Jun 11, 2010
  14. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Ah ha, now we're getting somewhere.
    Can the Airport Express get an IP address wirelessly, and share that
    connection wirelessly to other machines?

    Justin, Jun 11, 2010
  15. Justin

    Justin Guest

    MBP and a few other machines - some are Macs some are Windows 7.
    The hotel won't have an ethernet port so I can't share the ehternet port
    connection.
    It depends on what I can accomplish with as little money as possible.
    I can't connect two machines using cable if they are in two different
    rooms. The last thing I want to do it turn my hotel room into a mini
    Internet cafe.
    that's correct.

    Justin, Jun 11, 2010
  16. Justin

    Guest Guest

    no, an airport express can only bridge to ethernet or the reverse.

    you want a linksys wtr54gs (not a wrt54gs, a totally different
    product). it's about the size of an ipod classic and can rebroadcast
    any wifi network, or wired. it's completely self-contained with a built
    in retractable plug, so no separate power adapter is needed.
    unfortunately, it's been discontinued by linksys but they're still
    available on ebay.

    Guest, Jun 11, 2010
  17. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Ah ha!
    Thanks, sounds like thats the product I need. Simply solution - no need
    to have a laptop on all the time either.
    Hopefully it will work with the kind of network where you have to log
    in. From what I read thats what its designed to do.

    Justin, Jun 11, 2010
  18. Justin

    Guest Guest

    it works great with hotel wifi networks. just plug it in any outlet and
    you now have your *own* personal wifi network blanketing the room,
    which you can configure any way you want, with no cables *at all*. you
    can set up whatever security you want, or none at all. it's also a lot
    more sensitive than the wifi in a mac laptop, so you will not need to
    worry about weak signals anywhere near as much.

    it has one major drawback (other than being discontinued) in that it
    can only join wifi networks that do not require a password. that makes
    sense from a security standpoint, because someone could potentially
    turn a closed network into an open network just by plugging this thing
    in.

    fortunately, nearly all hotel networks are open, with a splash page to
    log in. that splash page will get passed to your laptop and you can log
    in from there, with the linksys being seen by the hotel network. you
    can also change the mac address of the linksys, just in case.

    Guest, Jun 11, 2010
  19. Ah ha, now we're getting somewhere.
    Can the Airport Express get an IP address wirelessly, and share that
    connection wirelessly to other machines?[/QUOTE]

    All wireless routers get IP addresses wirelessly if they're set up to do
    so. You'll need to configure the AE to Extend a Wireless Network and use
    its own NAT.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 11, 2010
  20. no, an airport express can only bridge to ethernet or the reverse.[/QUOTE]

    I think you're wrong about that.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 11, 2010