share your opinion and experience with mid-tier SAN devices

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Captain Avocado, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. Dear Internet brothers and sisters -

    I have been tasked with researching and reviewing bids for our
    datacenter's SAN storage needs.
    We are moderately experienced with small SAN deployments, know all the
    software functions of volume managers, remote mirrors, remote
    replication, snapshots, rollbacks, etc.

    The first wave of vendor bids is in. I am looking for experiences,
    positive or negative with these products that you have used in your
    production unix environment. My interest is in the administration,
    operation, support/serviceability, performance, easy-of-use type
    things. I don't care about the ROI, software license costs, or $$$ per
    GB ratios. That's me bosses' job.

    * Network Appliance (NetApp) FAS960
    * StorageTEK/LSI D280
    * EMC CX600
    * HP/Compaq EVA5000
    * IBM FASTt 700
    * Sun Storedge 6320

    Our current environment consists exclusively of Sun Solaris 8 servers
    (6500's) running Oracle 8i on Veritas Database Edition (Quick I/O
    [raw/block filesystem trick], Veritas Volume Manager, VXFS
    filesystems). Our big databases are 300GB and our small ones are 5 GB.
    Our workload is RANDOM READ with WRITE-INTENSIVE batchwork & OLTP.

    Total SAN deployment would be about 20 TB, which makes us a small fish
    as far as regional datacenters go. We have a lot of Oracle Financials,
    custom-spaghetti code for our manufacturing and finance environments,
    and we run one of the top ERP packages for our specific industry. 95%
    of users are on the same campus or over low-latency WAN links at
    fab/warehouse/research sites around the continental USA. We don't need
    cluster/concurrent access filesystems, just the ability to finely
    slice and dice the disk array to varied SAN Clients, mount snapshots
    as read-write then take it away 1-6 months later and throw it "back in
    the pool". Oh yeah, and serve out about 1 TB of Windows fileshare
    miscellany.

    Current Direct-Attached technology is Sun A5200 photons, T3s, A1000,
    and NetApp 840s. Equipment is showing it's age, GBICs and disks die
    weekly, if not daily, like fruit falling from a tree. Backups are
    segregated onto their own switched fabric network and not part of this
    STORAGE SAN deployment.

    I prefer the Sun or NetApp stuff, looking for reason to kill the HP,
    EMC, and IBM stuff in vitro. Our IT team skill set is strong in
    Veritas, Oracle, and Sun. Local Mgmt is unwilling to increase
    headcount and stingey on the training, so I need something EASY. IBM
    has approached us with the aplomb of Mafia-hitmen, threatening
    "corporate standards", and initimating phone calls to higher-ups and
    jobs astonishingly similar to ours might be posted on www.monster.com
    if we dare to buy someone else's product.

    So if your opinion be political, technical, or just years of
    battle-hardened wisdom from the operations trenches, why not drop a
    few lines to a fellow sysadmin with a few bucks to spend but not many
    friends in the Storage/SAN business who don't get a commission from
    the outcome of their advice.

    Sincerely,
    Solaris Dude
    please trim the SPAM off my email address to reply.

    Captain Avocado, Aug 12, 2003

  2. Captain Avocado

    David Wade Guest

    This is a Network Appliance, not a SAN. Not sure why you would want to use
    one. Mose times adding an extra server will do just as well.
    The HP is nice, but last time I played with one Solaris integration was not
    its strong point.

    David Wade, Aug 12, 2003