    Ben in DC
    (for sending email, append 030516 to the subject to bypass spam filters)
    Albert Einstein

    Benjamin Slade, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Benjamin Slade

    Dave Sankey Guest

    Belkin do a box which looks like it would do the trick, namely the SOHO
    USB 2-port KVM thingy.

    The reason that I say Belkin is that they have a 'Mac' mode which lets
    you use a PC keyboard and emulate the missing buttons. There are also
    keyboard layouts out there which let you use a PC keyboard sanely
    (there are differences in the key arrangements, particularly for UK).

    I've got one of these for a colleague and have almost weaned him off
    his beige G3 (so at the moment it's his G3 with a Belkin ADB to PS/2
    convertor and G4 on the KVM).

    A caveat is that it does seem a tad flaky as to power when only the G4
    booted.

    Myself I use a PS/2 KVM and Belkin USB to PS/2 convertors for my Macs.

    Another caveat is to have the Mac on port 1 so that the Mac sees the
    monitor when you first power up - the PC doesn't seem to care.

    And decent monitor cables...

    Dave

    Dave Sankey, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Benjamin Slade

    lou Guest

    Another solution, admittedly a bit roundabout but it does work,
    and is free, is to install a VNC server on either the Mac or the
    Windows machine (e.g., "Share My Desktop) on the Mac). Then using
    a VNC client such as VNCThing you can just call up say the
    Windows screen on your Mac or vice-versa. It works well if both
    computers are on the same switch/hub and hence lag time is low.
    This assumes of course that the two computers are networked
    together. There may be some problems with two-mouse buttons
    versus one mouse button but depending on the VNC client you
    choose the client will take care of some of these issues in the
    preference settings.

    lou, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Ok, thanks for the info. I think I'm going to try the " OmniView™ SOHO
    Series KVM Switch with Audio, PS/2, USB and VGA". See:

    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=122146

    which says:

    Benjamin Slade, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Benjamin Slade

    Dave Sankey Guest

    That looks like the beast, but at the moment I'm in a different country
    from it...

    Note that you're forced to use PS/2 keyboard and mouse, hence my
    earlier comments about keyboard layout. I put a Microsoft PS/2/USB
    optical wheel mouse on it.

    As they give you a link, worth downloading the manual and seeing if it
    fits.

    My recollection is that one of the KVM's we looked at shared USB which
    seemed truly scary - it looks like it wasn't this Belkin tho'.

    Dave

    Dave Sankey, Dec 3, 2004