Shift Key gets stuck active

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Jim Stover, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. Jim Stover

    Jim Stover Guest

    Periodically, the "Shift" key will become active on the
    Input Panel keyboard and I cannot deactivate it. I end up
    needing to re-boot the PC and this becomes very annoying.
    I cannot find a specific program or activity. I notice
    that sometimes it happens when I shut the PC down into
    Standby or Hibernate mode, as the PC is shutting down, the
    keyboard display pops up and all of a sudden the "Shift"
    keys become hilighted. I know that when I activate the PC
    again, I will need to shut down and restart. I have also
    had the "Shift" key get stuck active after doing work in
    various programs. That is why I can't pinpoint any
    specific thing that triggers this problem. It just did it
    again this morning as I was going to Hibernate mode.

    Any ideas on what I can do to fix it or deactivate without
    re-booting?

    Thanks,

    Jim

    Jim Stover, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Jim Stover

    JDTHREE Guest

    I get hit by this one as well on my Toshiba when I'm coming out of
    hibernation sometimes.

    One thing that I've found works for me is to log off and log in again.

    On mine, it's as if the key gets mapped backwards - it's not stuck on
    caps, it's just backwards - so to get lower case for my password, I
    have to hit the caps button. :)

    Curious to see if anyone else in here has a good fix for this - I
    haven't dug into it much since I can at least get around it for now...

    John

    JDTHREE, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Jim Stover

    Jim Stover Guest

    Thanks John

    I will look at what you were saying with the CAPS key and logging off and back on. I am using a Toshiba 3505 Tablet PC by the way. I forgot to mention that.

    Jim

    Jim Stover, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Jim Stover

    Jim Stover Guest

    One thing I forgot to mention is that the biggest issue for me with this problem is trying to select a file or folder. Having the "Shift" key constantly active causes an entire group of files or folders to be selected. This also applies to selecting items in other applications through list boxes, listviews, etc. This is my biggest headache and reason for posting about this. The upper/lower case issue is minor for me.

    Jim

    Jim Stover, Jan 14, 2004
  5. Jim Stover

    JDTHREE Guest

    Yep, same here, hence the reason I end up logging off and back on...
    :(

    Nothing worse than going to delete something in the explorer, and
    finding it wants to delete more than you intended. <G>

    JDTHREE, Jan 14, 2004
  6. Jim Stover

    Jim Stover Guest

    I will second that on the delete! I almost accidentally deleted a group of e-mails as it happened again to me early this morning. I could the "Shift" key become active in the on-screen keyboard as I put into hibernate mode. After I made some breakfast, I fired it back up and forgot that the "Shift" key was now constantly active. I tried your workaround of logging off and that did not work for me. I had to totally shut the PC down and re-boot. This becomes very annoying and I cannot seem to find a specific pattern or program that is causing this problem. I have had it happen while working in a program before and thought it might be that program, but then it happened while doing other work and not even loading that other program. Now, it mostly happens when shutting down into standby or hibernate mode. I am totally stumped.

    I have loaded a variety of Tablet PC programs to evaluate since Christmas and maybe something I loaded or some configuration change has started this problem. I sure would like to get it fixed.

    Ji

    Jim Stover, Jan 15, 2004
  7. Jim Stover

    Chris H. Guest

    Got a Restore Point in System Restore? You could use that to go back a ways
    and see if it'll fix the problem.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Jan 15, 2004
  8. Jim Stover

    JDTHREE Guest

    Unfortunately for me, this happens even with just a clean install of
    XP tablet edition and no other software, so I think it's just tied
    into some of the "standby/hibernate" issues so many machines exhibit,
    like having to reset the wireless connections upon resuming, etc...

    It's something inherent in the hardware that I haven't been able to
    find a tweak for yet...

    John

    JDTHREE, Jan 15, 2004
  9. Jim Stover

    Chris H. Guest

    Bummer, John. I really haven't seen this on a Tablet before. I know you
    know, but for the sake of discussion, Hibernate writes the current condition
    of the system to a file on the hard drive. That is then called up when the
    system is powered up. Standby keeps the system current, but in a "sleep"
    mode at low power without writing a file. I would be more apt to suspect
    something in Hibernate causing a problem, since Standby is a "current" state
    without writing back from a file.

    Chris H., Jan 15, 2004
  10. Jim Stover

    JDTHREE Guest

    I know, but devices are still powered off in standby just as with
    hibernate, biggest difference is, like you said, the system state is
    kept active in RAM with low current running through it.

    I've seen similar issues in other notebooks as well, so I know it's
    not limited to this machine. I'm guessing it just has something to do
    with the device being powered off and then powered back on without the
    normal startup sequence and hardware init. Hence the reason, for
    instance, the wifi works again after you disable / enable it.

    There was a poster a month or two ago with similar problems, but he
    found a compatibility issue with some software that helped his issue.
    For me, since it happens even when I have the clean install of XP and
    no other software at all, I don't have that option.

    I probably would dig into it more if it weren't for the toshiba
    application "network device switch" since I can get everythign reset
    with a single mouse click by simply choosing my current network
    profile again - that reinitializes everything automatically.

    But if I didn't have that, I'd probably still be digging into this and
    banging my head against the wall. :)

    Oh well, gives me something to play with when I'm bored some weekend.

    John

    JDTHREE, Jan 15, 2004
  11. Jim Stover

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Jan 15, 2004
  12. Jim Stover

    JDTHREE Guest

    Toshiba is very good at never upgrading drivers....

    Almost everything available is still the original drivers from when
    they first released the tablet back in November of '02...

    Other than Toshiba drivers, everything else is as updated as I can get
    via microsoft...

    John

    JDTHREE, Jan 15, 2004
  13. Jim Stover

    Steve Guest

    same problem on my Compaq. seems to happen to me when I remove from my docking station .I also had Control stick down once

    Steve, Jan 16, 2004