    unless you have lost one or more of those bumpers on the particular CPU
    that you are installing, and if you are a careful worker precious little
    reason even then.

    J.Clarke, Sep 25, 2003

  2. J.Clarke

    mcheu Guest

    How useful or necessary are shims for installing an AMD CPU?

    I've installed AMD CPUs in the past, without too many problems, but
    the thought of an extra safety net sounds good to me.

    The trouble is, the only store I've found that sells them is telling
    me to avoid them as they can short out the CPU. Is there an
    alternative to the Thermaltake copper shims that won't risk shorting
    out the CPU?

    mcheu, Sep 26, 2003

  3. J.Clarke

    liaM Guest

    what are shims ????

    :)
    liaM

    liaM, Sep 26, 2003
  4. They're useful to the seller's financial bottom line.
    Shims came into existence when early Socket A users were destroying CPU's by
    improperly installing HSF's and/or using HSF's not properly designed for
    Athlon/Duron CPU's. The idea was to prevent the installer from exerting
    pressure on the edges of the CPU die, causing it to crack. Later, myths
    surfaced that shims somehow helped cooling.
    Shims (made of conductive material) *can* cause electrical shorts if not
    designed properly for your model CPU, or if improperly installed. Shims
    won't help your cooling, and may add to heat problems. Anybody who can read
    instruction and who exercises due care can mount a HSF on an Athlon without
    breaking anything.
    Bottom line: waste of money.

    Peter van der Goes, Sep 26, 2003
  5. J.Clarke

    mcheu Guest

    mcheu, Sep 26, 2003
  6. J.Clarke

    rstlne Guest

    I would guess they do help cooling
    Help to cool that hot heatsink and deliver some of the heat back into the
    edge of the chip package :)

    rstlne, Sep 26, 2003
  7. J.Clarke

    mcheu Guest

    Thanks. I guess I won't bother getting one.

    Sounds like these things are obsolete.

    mcheu, Sep 26, 2003
  8. Never demonstrated in any unbiased test. AAMF, they restrict airflow around
    the base of the HSF and edges of the die, sometimes causing temp increases.

    Peter van der Goes, Sep 26, 2003
  9. I need to correct my previous response :)
    Should have said: I've never *seen* an unbiased test showing a shim
    improving cooling.

    Peter van der Goes, Sep 26, 2003