    the drapes.

    Enlighten me, please.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Feb 9, 2010

  2. Hi!

    ITYM "schmutz". But don't quote me on it. :)
    It looks like a very similar design that Compaq used on some late
    model Presario computers. Those too have a raised front.

    Pic:
    http://www.mediacenterpcworld.com/images/products/36.jpg

    I suppose it's mainly the taste of the designer. And who knows? Maybe
    a Compaq designer defected to Dell?

    Of course, one could say the same thing of computer fans. That fan
    practically assures that all manner of schmutz builds up in the case,
    around the vent holes and even in places where it shouldn't, like the
    floppy drive. And you're not supposed to use a vacuum sweeper to clean
    it up.

    Not that I'm complaining. I really enjoy taking a filthy machine
    outdoors and hitting it with the air compressor. FWOOSH and one cloud
    later, all is right with the world.

    Systems that have inhaled enough cigarette or other smoke require more
    drastic action:

    (yes, it's my video)

    William

    William R. Walsh, Feb 10, 2010

  3. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    I wonder what "appropriate precautions" were taken when placing the
    parts into the dishwasher.

    In any case, your video inspired me...to take a shower. (And I achieved
    results similar to yours.)

    Daddy

    Daddy, Feb 10, 2010
  4. Hi!
    Well, nothing says "top rack only" so we're good there.

    Seriously, I put the few case plastics on the top rack, along with the
    drives and fan. Everything else went down below. I used regular
    detergent and soft water.

    Power supplies are a toss up. The coils and transformers can, at least
    in theory, hold water. To dry them, I usually put them in the sun for
    a long time.

    Don't forget to pull the CMOS battery. Nothing must be powered when
    you do this. <<<< do not forget this, or you will VERY sorry

    Haven't lost one yet...
    That's pretty funny. :)

    William

    William R. Walsh, Feb 10, 2010