    for a stable computer with perhaps Raid.

    Thank you in advance,

    Jake

    Jake Lakey, Feb 13, 2005

  2. Jake Lakey

    TomG Guest

    the IC7-G would be my choice. the AI7 is a nice board but I prefer the 875
    over the 865 for one and also, the AI7 has uGuru (MicroGuru) to aid in
    monitoring and tweaking the board and I am not really a fan of that utility.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Jake Lakey

    DNX Guest

    Are you going to overclock???

    If you are go the AI7 as it has 3.2vdimm, also you don't have to use Uguru
    to monitor temps etc.

    Just don't load it, and use Motherboard Monitor to monitor temps etc.

    I've used an AI7 since they first came out and have had no problems. I run
    my 2.8E @ 3.8ghz for everyday use using watercooling and can bench at
    4.0ghz.

    cheers

    DNX, Feb 13, 2005
  4. They're largely similar. The AI7 is built on the i865PE chipset and has the
    uGuru tuning/monitoring system. The IC7 doesn't have uGuru (no great loss),
    but does have the 875P chipset, which offers slightly better performance.

    The IC7 design as a whole seems to overclock slightly better than the AI7,
    despite the fact that the AI7 has, as mentioned above, a higher maximum
    memory voltage. The 875 chipset also offers fractionally better clock for
    clock performance than the 865.

    If you are going to buy one of these motherboards, you may be better off
    going for the IC7-G, which has the additional Silicon Image PCI Serial ATA
    RAID chip, but most importantly has the Intel CSA gigabit ethernet chip
    instead of the Realtek 10/100 adapter found on the IC7 and AI7. The board
    also comes with a Serillel adapter, which you'll need (as well as buying
    another) if you want to utilise the RAID functionality with your existing
    disks.

    The other thing worth mentioning is that if you are going for a Socket 478
    board, no matter which you eventually go for, it's worth choosing your
    memory and processor carefully to be sure of getting the best all-round
    performance - especially if you plan to overclock.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Jake Lakey

    Jake Lakey Guest

    Hi Tom, DNX, and Richard,

    Thank you for your prompt replys - the information covers all everything I
    need to proceed with my build, in a form that I understand, and I pleased.

    Thank you again for taking your time to reply.

    I will post again when I get the new system up and running - or before if I
    need further advice - if that is OK.

    Best Wishes,

    Jake

    Jake Lakey, Feb 14, 2005
  6. Jake Lakey

    Chris Pound Guest

    The vanilla IC7 comes with no ethernet adapter.

    Chris Pound, Feb 14, 2005
  7. Jake Lakey

    TomG Guest

    read up on setting up the boards and remember that both chipsets seem to
    benefit from running the DDR voltage up at around 2.70 or slightly better
    for stability.

    TomG, Feb 15, 2005

  8. Hi,

    the AI7 is probably the better mobo, even though the IC7 has the better
    chipset. I own an AI7 (i865PE) and an ASUS P4C800-E (i875P) and after allot
    of testing I found the AI7 to be the faster motherboard.

    The ABIT uGuru feature is great, as in it has the best monitoring system I
    ever seen, checks the voltages for nearly everything, and I find the
    readings to be spot-on. The uGuru software on the other hand is pretty naff
    (last time I checked anyway).

    The one very clear advantage the Canterwood has over the Springdale is that
    it appears to clock the FSB higher than the Springdale *without* producing
    any errors.

    I have my AI7 running 250MHz-FSB (24/7) with a 2.8GHz Northwood CPU, that
    gives me 3.5GHz which is nice. However so far I have had to use the 5:4
    memory ratio because if I use 1:1 sync I get some AGP-Tearing effect in some
    games. This is with CRUCIAL Ballistix PC3200/4000 and OCZ BH-6. The ASUS
    mobo doesn't appear to suffer from this as much, although I have been
    informed this problem is down to the *strain* on the overclocked Northbridge
    when used with certain memory.

    The AI7 is a very well rounded board, with USB2.0, Firewire, LAN, SATA RAID,
    uGuru etc and is actually a newer board than the IC7.

    I recommend the AI7 for the beginner - to - Advanced overclocker, and the
    IC7 for the totally insane overclocker who is trying to reach a really high
    FSB and isn't afraid to mod the board and add a heap of cooling. . .

    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 15, 2005