Short Startup Time, Enormously Long Login Time

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Wendell III, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. Wendell III

    Wendell III Guest

    Hey all,

    As of the last few months, my PowerBook G4 12" (1.33GHz, 768MB RAM,
    10.3.9) has been exhibiting an excessively long delay between login and
    desktop accessbility. The bootup is extremely fast, but after I type my
    name and password in (and after the login window disappears), I get
    beachball for almost a full minute before my desktop displays (or any
    of my startup items load). I'm interested to know what is causing this
    delay, so I'm looking for a few tips:

    - What log files should I be looking at to try and diagnose this problem?
    - What actually gets loaded between the login (before the finder loads)?
    - Is this a common issue?

    I know that the Mac is loading up a lot of stuff in the background upon
    bootup (even when I see the login screen), so just as an experiment
    I've let it sit for 5-10 minutes before trying to login. This didn't
    help at all.

    Any and all suggestions appreciated!
    -Wendell

    Wendell III, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Wendell III

    Bob Harris Guest

    First place to look is in your System Preferences -> Accounts -> Startup
    Items

    Just what is the Mac startup up when you log in?

    If you can ssh into your Mac while you are not logged in (from another
    Mac and the Terminal), then you can do a "ps -axlww >tmp.before" command
    to see what is running before you log in.

    Then login and run "ps -axlww >tmp.after". Now see what extra processes
    have been started by comparing the tmp.before and tmp.after files.

    Again if you can ssh into your Mac before logging in, you can run the
    'top -R -F' command and see what processes are chewing up all the time
    while you are actually logging in.

    You could also run the "vm_stat 5" command from the ssh session and see
    if there is excessive memory activity. Especially want to look for
    pageout activity, as that would tend to indicate heavy memory demands
    that the current RAM can not satisfy.

    So those are some starter ideas.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Jul 7, 2005

  3. Wendell III

    matt neuburg Guest

    Might be a network problem. On that theory, Mac OS X is looking for some
    server, or for the network, and you get a delay until the search times
    out. m.

    matt neuburg, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Wendell III

    Wendell III Guest

    Hey Matt,

    Do you know where would I go to look for those servers?

    -Wendell

    Wendell III, Jul 15, 2005