    pc and got the same result, did I just wast 80.00 in a fraction of a second by
    frying the hd? Is there a reset or anything I can do.
    Thanks

    Spudboy2, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Spudboy2

    Greg Guest

    If you plugged the power in upside down you probably did create a door stop.
    You put 12v into the 5v electronics
    The signal cable generally is benign when upside down, it just doesn't work.

    Greg, Apr 27, 2004

  3. Spudboy2

    CJT Guest

    Be glad you didn't do it a few years ago when the cheapest hard drive
    was in the thousands of $$$.

    CJT, Apr 27, 2004
  4. Spudboy2

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Usually requires a _lot_ of force.
    Yes. Digital electronics designed for 5V can usually tolerate up
    7V for a short time. 12V with the current behind that a PC PSU can
    deliver will immediately fry the 5V part of the HDD.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Apr 27, 2004