    (b) as an experienced software guy you should know that nobody can help
    you unless you describe the symptoms you are seeing.

    (c) how did you isolate the problem to the ATI components?

    J.Clarke, Nov 26, 2003

  2. J.Clarke

    J.Clarke Guest

    Are you suggesting he should have pirated it somewhere?

    J.Clarke, Nov 26, 2003

  3. J.Clarke

    J.Clarke Guest

    And on my AMD systems with Via and SiS chipsets it worked the first
    time, no hassles at all. Never tried it on an nforce but my older
    Radeon All-In-Wonder worked fine in that one.

    J.Clarke, Nov 26, 2003
  4. J.Clarke

    J.Clarke Guest

    I think I neglected your last paragraph on my earlier post. If you want
    something that works like a Tivo, then get a Tivo, seriously. None of
    the PC-based solutions have a scheduler that is anywhere near as
    versatile or convenient as Tivo's--if you've lived with a Tivo it will
    spoil you for anything else. And since the Tivo is a Linux box, it is
    far more tweakable than most folks realize. That said, the ATI board
    will work fine with any of the various third-party products (SageTV,
    ShowShifter, Snapstream, etc) except MythTV, for that you'd do better to
    go with one of the boards with a BT8xx chip or possibly one of the
    Hauppauge PVR-250 or -350 boards. If you want HDTV the Fusion HDTVII
    works nicely with the ATI board under Windows--with the latest drivers
    it seems at last to be stable.

    J.Clarke, Nov 26, 2003
  5. J.Clarke

    Andrew Ward Guest

    I have an 8500 DV on am XP box running a 1.8G P4 w/ 512Mb.
    Six months ago, after several previoous attemots to get the TV stuff
    working, I started from scratch, PAID for the new catalyst driver on CD,
    and reloaded XP, ATI stuff (latest downloaded drivers then), C. Labs Audigy
    EX+ drivers and all other programs, including Adobe Premiere. (Of course,
    not all at once!)

    Never got it all working... gave up... pissed that I had wasted HOURS upon
    HOURS going through this re-load.

    Is it worth trying again, from scratch? Or is this very expensive
    card just worthless as the previous "ATI SUCKS..." thread
    expounds? (And of course, I also experienced, also being another
    SW guy.)

    Any better products that will let me turn a dedicated entertainment-PC into
    a TiVo alternative (and home-video editing station)???

    --
    -Andrew

    .. .. | Andrew Ward | Office: 800.250.4800 x72773
    || || | Technology Group |
    |||| |||| | CCMSBU |
    ..:||||||:...:||||||:.. | * Diagnostics * | pers URL http://a.ward.name
    C i s c o S y s t e m s | * Development * | Email :

    Andrew Ward, Nov 26, 2003
  6. J.Clarke

    bob cox Guest

    PAID for the new catalyst???

    Maybe you should give up.

    bob cox, Nov 27, 2003
  7. J.Clarke

    JAD Guest

    Whatever the problem is it boils down to this, the 8500's have worked on countless setups, so it's either a defective card or
    something related to your setup is thwarting your attempts at success.

    What chipset is on the board?
    Are you using the Application Accelerator? Or windows standard DMA
    Using the CD that came with the card with the version of MMC out at that time?
    What are you doing with Premier?

    JAD, Nov 27, 2003
  8. J.Clarke

    Kent_Diego Guest

    Many people need to install motherboard chipset driver for AGP to get things
    to work.
    Try:
    http://rage3d.com forums for much more detailed help and advice.

    -Kent

    Kent_Diego, Nov 27, 2003
  9. Your situation puzzles me.

    I have three All-in-Wonder 8500DVs and one AIW 8500 (non-DV, 128 meg),
    also one AIW 7500. I have no problems with any of them, they all work
    flawlessly in all modes. I'm using a Catalyst driver CD that I also
    paid for ($10 or $20). The systems range from a Celeron 850 MHz / Asus
    P2B to three P4 systems, they were 1.6 GHz but have recently been
    upgraded to 2.4, 2.53 and 2.66 GHz, all are Asus P4T533 or P4T533-C
    motherboards (850e chipset, Rambus memory).

    Either you have some bad (or at least incompatible) hardware, or you are
    doing something grossly wrong, these boards can and do work fully "as
    advertised" for many, many people. It's MUCH easier with an Intel
    system than with an AMD system (or even an Intel CPU system using a VIA
    or SiS chipset).

    I'm still using the drivers from the CD, I have not updated them, and
    those were some of the very early Catalyst 8.x drivers, like 8.1 or so.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 27, 2003
  10. By the way, all of these systems are dual boot with Win 98SE and WinXP,
    and the 8500 DV works under both OS', although it's not officially
    supported under 98SE.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 27, 2003
  11. J.Clarke

    Gonzo Guest

    I smell a defective card. Exchange it before you pull your hair out. It's
    not worth it.

    Gonzo, Nov 27, 2003