    because the software I will want to run, won't work with XP.

    Which one should I get? Is Vista okay enough to use?

    Thanks.

    DaveJohnson12, Mar 25, 2008

  2. DaveJohnson12

    Tom Scales Guest

    Whether we like it or not, XP is already obsolete. No longer shipping
    in the retail channel. No more boxes loaded with it as of 1/1/09.

    Vista's fine. Nothing special. Nothing new. Works OK for a home
    machine.

    Tom Scales, Mar 25, 2008

  3. either work, but with vista you need at least 2gb of ram and it will have
    problems with many pieces of software, including the software that comes
    with many multifunction printers. research the application you want to
    install and see if those are considered to be compatible with vista before
    you make a costly mistake and end up with an operating system that requires
    you to purchase all new software. for example a small design firm with 14
    workstation all with and previous version of autocad has decided against
    getting vista as it would require spending thousands per machine for the new
    vista compatible version of autocad alone (and since there is nothing that
    vista offers them that xp can't there is no way to justify this expense).
    don't worry about a few years from now. in a few years from now some other
    operating system will be out and you can feel good about not having wasted
    your time learning and troubleshooting vista.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 25, 2008
  4. DaveJohnson12

    Journey Guest

    Do you have a copy of XP Pro you could install on the computer? If
    so, get Vista Business, do a True Image of the drive, install XP, and
    save Vista Business in case you might want it.

    Journey, Mar 25, 2008
  5. DaveJohnson12

    RnR Guest

    Provided you can get all the drivers you need !!

    RnR, Mar 26, 2008
  6. DaveJohnson12

    Tony Harding Guest

    I already feel good about not using Vista. :)

    Tony Harding, Mar 26, 2008
  7. DaveJohnson12

    S.Lewis Guest

    My personal opinion is buy the system with XP and a minimum of 2gb RAM (and
    at least a 128mb PCIexpress video card if possible).

    Then, 2-3 or more years from now if you require Vista, you're hardware is
    already intact for the upgrade.

    FWIW, MS just announced lower prices on some versions of Vista. The upgrade
    later won't be cost-prohibitive imo.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 26, 2008
  8. DaveJohnson12

    BigJim Guest

    Vista will work great with a core 2, just make sure you get at least 2 gigs
    of ram installed. If you don't want to get a video card with system you can
    get one that will work great at newegg.com for about 75 dollars shipped.
    I just put a msi 8500gt OC in my core2 for 55 dollars after rebate.
    The card will play games if your incline to do so. It would also be a hell
    of a lot cheaper that what dell wants for a similar card. The 8500 is not a
    great gaming card but it is dx10 ready and the drivers are setup for Vista.
    I have been working with it for a few days and no crashes. Right now I have
    five screens open and a video playing.

    BigJim, Mar 26, 2008
  9. DaveJohnson12

    anyue Guest

    Vista is much slower and it's not matur

    anyue, Mar 26, 2008
  10. DaveJohnson12

    S.Lewis Guest

    You're apparently new to this group.

    S.Lewis, Mar 26, 2008
  11. Unfortunately I don't have it though I could ask around. I know
    someone who has HP's with XP Pro though I think I will have to have
    the Dell version to avoid the activation process.

    I have XP Media Center for a Dell. Is it possible to get a low cost
    upgrade to the Dell version of XP Pro?

    Thanks.

    DaveJohnson12, Mar 26, 2008
  12. That's a good suggestion. I've already started looking into Vista
    compatibility for the software I need. I don't really use that much
    software, mainly Office 2003 (MS says it will work), and a couple of
    other things that the the software manufacturers claim will work with
    Vista.

    I'll make sure I get 2GB of RAM or more if I decide on Vista.

    The reason I'm thinking ahead is, in a few years from now MS will have
    a new OS that will be more bloated and resource hungry than any
    earlier versions and it probably won't run too well on the computer
    I'm going to buy. :)

    Thanks.

    DaveJohnson12, Mar 26, 2008
  13. DaveJohnson12

    RnR Guest

    From what I read, it is slower than xp on comparable machines but
    I never read that it was "much" slower. I guess the word "much" is
    subjective tho.

    RnR, Mar 26, 2008
  14. Thanks. This will be a home machine but running the business version,
    Vista Business.

    DaveJohnson12, Mar 26, 2008
  15. Thanks for the opinion. That would make the most sense for me if Vista
    is as bad as many people say it is. I also read somewere they were
    lowering prices. I see newegg.com has Vista Business OEM for system
    builders for the relatively low price of $139.99. The retail version
    is around $185 to $200 at Pricegrabber.

    DaveJohnson12, Mar 26, 2008
  16. Thanks, I'm still thinking about getting Vista. Good advice about
    buying a video card from somewhere other than Dell.

    DaveJohnson12, Mar 26, 2008
  17. DaveJohnson12

    Tom Scales Guest

    What features of Pro do you need that Media center doesn't have? MCE is
    just Pro without the ability to connect to a domain.

    Tom Scales, Mar 26, 2008
  18. DaveJohnson12

    Phred Guest

    Now *that's* the best advice I've seen in this thread! (Mind you,
    there is a certain assumption that may not be met. ;-)

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Mar 26, 2008
  19. DaveJohnson12

    S.Lewis Guest

    Exactly. So since Vista remains broken and with issues (for a lot of
    people), I've been placing Windows XP systems that are bonafide HW capable
    for a Vista upgrade if and when needed down the road.

    Since we can't really know how good/bad or resource intensive the *next* OS
    is, we can only go by what we know right now.

    That's the way I see it. I'm also not so sure that XP won't live a lot
    longer than we would've though prior to the Vista release.

    Good luck with your choice.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 26, 2008
  20. DaveJohnson12

    Zack Guest

    My experience: I bought a 2 Ghz Core2Duo (Inspiron), and I got
    2 Gb of RAM (nearly a year ago). Vista does just fine; I mean I
    don't have any issues (speed included). While I do need to qualify
    this: I don't use many peripherals, and neither do I use a great
    variety of different software. (This is not my main work environment;
    linux is. So this experience may be relevant for, say, light-ish home
    use? But then again, I did run some serious stuff on it, and it worked
    great. I mean I do use Vista quite a bit.) As far as basic hardware
    is concerned, this box is definitely run well by Vista.

    When I was deciding on the system, I felt pretty much the way you
    say (and expressed this in this forum too): that Vista would replace
    the XP (whether we like it or not). Now I don't mean to start a steamy
    discussion with this, am just saying how I thought. Making this call
    was easy for me - since I actually use Linux, I was not going to be
    dependent on Vista. So this was simply an opportunity to get the new
    system that, I felt, MS was going to make sure does become the main
    platform. (I've got to give them that: they are *very* good at
    directing -
    to put it mildly - the trends in the industry. Again, I don't mean to
    start
    wars over this. :)

    Having said this ... I think that XP is still a safe way to go: it
    should
    hold out for at least a few years (without drawbacks). I can't see
    any
    major software coming out, or being revised, that won't run on it.
    And
    I can't see any new (major) hardware that XP won't run. With Vista you
    probably *will* have extra expense on software. I'd say: see what you
    need/use, and check how much of it you need to update. I think that
    one can put an exact figure on it, and then make an informed decision.
    Overall, I think you cannot go really wrong either way. In all of
    this, I'm
    assuming that you don't need this to be a production machine, but is
    rather meant for something like light to medium home use.

    Just my opinion/experience, I hope it may help (a little :).

    Zack, Mar 26, 2008