  1. DaveJohnson12

    Zack Guest

    Sorry about the mangled post (my previous one).

    Zack, Mar 26, 2008

  2. I have to use software that lists XP Pro or Vista Business as a system
    requirement. The software is the Java Enterprise Edition SDK. I'm not
    sure yet what else I will need. There may be other software I'll need
    that requires XP Pro or Vista Business.

    http://java.sun.com/javaee/sdk/features.jsp

    DaveJohnson12, Mar 27, 2008

  3. Thank you. I think most software that comes out over the next two
    years will be XP compatible. Maybe longer.

    DaveJohnson12, Mar 27, 2008
  4. It's good to know you've got enough processing power to run it.
    :) Businesses are pretty much stuck with them it seems. I've heard
    that in Europe, a lot of companies are using Linux instead.
    For now that's true.
    It won't be that much. Nero, Agent and I think that's all. $90 worth
    of software, though I really don't need the new versions for anything
    other than to have them work with Vista. ;-) Office 2003 should work I
    hope.
    The only other major thing I'll use it for is learning software
    development (Java). Thanks for your help. :) It's good to hear
    different people's experiences with Vista and thoughts.

    DaveJohnson12, Mar 27, 2008
  5. I need XP Pro or Vista Business only because it's a system requirement
    for software I need for software development.

    DaveJohnson12, Mar 27, 2008
  6. I've heard that too. It might actually work according to some people
    even though XP Pro is a requirement. Thanks.

    DaveJohnson12, Mar 27, 2008
  7. DaveJohnson12

    Juan Kerr Guest

    I just wish it wouldn't keep moving my Vostro laptop out of my default
    workgroup and into the WORKGROUP workgroup.

    Oh, and turning off network discovery.

    I was hoping SP1 would address the problems but nope.........

    Juan Kerr, Mar 27, 2008
  8. DaveJohnson12

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    The problem isn't configuring the hardware in a system that will actually
    run Vista; several posters here (myself included) have indicated through
    either luck or trial and error what the general "sweet spot" is to run
    full-blown Vista with Aero effectively enough.

    The problem still seems mostly to lie with the unknown quirks/compatibility
    issues with devices and or needed softwares.

    Let's face it: it doesn't matter how much that printer, camera, or needed
    software application cost (although that's at least a secondary
    consideration), what matters is knowing that it will *actually work* to do
    what the user needs done.

    By having an XP system that is hardware ready for Vista, you're in business
    now and for the forseeable future and allowing even more time for MS and
    software/hardware vendors to iron out any remaining issues with Vista.

    Anyway, I'm beating a dead horse here.

    S.Lewis, Mar 27, 2008
  9. I appreciate that. :) I think I'm going to do as Stew suggested and
    go with XP Pro. The most important thing to me now is to have a
    computer that will work without a lot of problems that will waste my
    time. With Vista there might be software that I have to use that I
    can't get to work properly. That would be a disaster. If MS doesn't
    raise the prices for Vista in the future, I should be able to get it
    when I need it for between $140 and $200 depending on if I get the OEM
    version or the retail version. I know that Vista runs on the model
    of the Optiplex that I'll get so installing it shouldn't be a problem.

    DaveJohnson12, Mar 28, 2008
  10. Good points. The more I think about it the more am leaning towards XP
    for the reasons you stated. Originally I was going to get XP, then I
    started thinking it might make more sense to get Vista now and avoid
    the time and expense of switching to Vista when it becomes necessary.
    Now I think I will play it safe and get XP. I can't afford to risk not
    being able to use the software that I need. Thanks.

    DaveJohnson12, Mar 28, 2008
  11. DaveJohnson12

    Tony Harding Guest

    S.Lewis wrote:

    I read somewhere the next version of Windows is called "Jabba" because
    no matter how many cycles or how much memory you have, it'll gobble it
    all up and want more.

    ;)

    Tony Harding, Mar 29, 2008
  12. DaveJohnson12

    Tony Harding Guest

    I bought a Lenovo R61 last summer with Vista Business, 2GB of memory & a
    T7500 chip. It was bog slow out of the box with 70+ processes running.
    I've been running XP Pro from about my 2nd day of ownership (and the R61
    is a very nice machine, BTW).

    Tony Harding, Mar 29, 2008
  13. DaveJohnson12

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, but in so doing, one defeats the rationale to sell ever bigger and faster
    computers with more memory. You are a real killjoy for the name brand
    manufacturers! C'mon now, think of things to stimulate our flagging economy,
    like selling more and more and more computers, with more and more of them being
    recycled greenishly. ;>) ... Ben

    Ben Myers, Mar 29, 2008
  14. DaveJohnson12

    S.Lewis Guest

    Fact.

    S.Lewis, Mar 29, 2008
  15. DaveJohnson12

    Leigh Guest

    How does this allow Vista to run faster?

    Leigh

    Leigh, Mar 29, 2008
  16. DaveJohnson12

    Leigh Guest

    Thanks for your insight.

    Leigh

    Leigh, Mar 29, 2008
  17. DaveJohnson12

    Tony Harding Guest

    IIRC I did turn off indexing - didn't really help.

    Tony Harding, Mar 30, 2008
  18. DaveJohnson12

    S.Lewis Guest

    There's a difference between the XP "indexing service" (which I understand
    is disabled by default in Vista - though I haven't verified it) and the
    "Windows Search Service" found only in Vista.

    Did you disabled the latter or the former?

    S.Lewis, Mar 30, 2008