Should I upgrade this system or am I good for awhile?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by M.J.S., Oct 20, 2007.

  1. M.J.S.

    M.J.S. Guest

    I'm now on :

    MB: A8N-SLI DELUXE
    CPU: AMD Dual Core Opteron 180
    Cpu Socket: Socket 939
    Max CPU Speed: 3700 MHz
    System Slots: 7 PCI

    Memory Summary
    Maximum Capacity: 4096 MBytes
    Memory Slots: 4
    Error Correction: None
    Maximum Memory Module Size: 1024 MBytes

    I wanted to upgrade my RAM to 4GB, but that's proving to be more trouble
    than it's worth (won't recognize more than 3GB at 32-bits). I wouldn't mind
    upgrading the entire computer if the leap is really worth the $2500 it's
    going to set me back.

    $100 on an extra stick of ram, or upgrade the whole sumbitch?

    I was waiting for Quad Core... how bad would my timing be for a system
    upgrade today?

    M.J.S., Oct 20, 2007

  2. M.J.S.

    Fred Guest

    You might consider holding off for a while.
    Perhaps wait until DDR3 RAM and motherboards that support DDR3 become
    affordable and readily available.

    Fred, Oct 20, 2007

  3. M.J.S.

    Len Mattix Guest

    I have a simular setup to yours with adual core opteron and 2 GB of RAM.
    The system runs 3 HDDs, 2 optical drives, 2 external USB 2 hard drives and
    does everything with video and audio that I want it to. I'm not on a
    production schedule so the few seconds maybe minutes on some items that I
    could gain by upgrading all in my mind is not yet worth it.

    YMMV,

    Len

    Len Mattix, Oct 21, 2007
  4. M.J.S.

    John Smith Guest

    You might want to wait until the first Intel cpu's built with 45 nano meter
    technology comes out on Nov. 12 next month.

    John Smith, Oct 21, 2007
  5. M.J.S.

    Wookie Guest

    U have an A8N-E . I opted to get another Gb of memory .. spent ~ $100 to
    get 2x1Gb setup .. I also got a new video card recently(X1950 Pro). I
    should be good for awhile.
    You didn't say why you wanted to upgrade .. things slow for you or just got
    that itch for more speed.

    Wookie, Oct 22, 2007
  6. M.J.S.

    M.J.S. Guest

    The latter. Which can be overpowering when the money to upgrade is actually
    there and taunting you. :-/

    I'd consider just adding more ram, but I'd need to know which kind to get
    exactly. I am currently using 2 sticks of (according to SIW.exe):

    Manufacturer: Corsair
    Part Number: CMX1024-3200C2
    Capacity: 1024 MBytes
    Memory Type: SDRAM DDR
    Speed: PC3200 (200 MHz)
    (but websites report this model actually does 400mhz, not 200)
    Data Width: 64 bits
    Voltage: SSTL 2.5V
    Error Correction: None
    Refresh: Reduced (.5x)...7.8 µs
    EPP SPD Support: No

    And my shopping options as a Canadian are pretty limited.
    In-store, there's :
    http://www.microbytes.com/computer/ordinateur/index.php?cPath=2030000
    Online, it's :
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=105