    x 256 SDRAM or 1 256 DDR pc2100? Don't know if it will influence a choice,
    but I am thinking about overclocking it sometime down the road.

    Thanks

    Jimmy B Jones, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Jimmy B Jones

    Tj Guest

    ddr

    Tj, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Jimmy B Jones

    ICee Guest

    Get 512 MB of DDR.

    ICee, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Jimmy B Jones

    kony Guest

    "Most often", WIn2K or newer will benefit more from the 512MB of PC133
    than 256 of DDR. Old, smaller games may run better from the DDR, but
    newer benefit more from 512 (more memory).

    On the other hand, that board has historically been more stable
    running DDR memory (IIRC) and add to that, that it's easier to o'c a
    single module than two (when all else is equal, which is virtually
    impossible given different memory but it's a consideration). Even so,
    an o'c system that has to constantly page-out to virtual memory isn't
    pleasant to use at all. I'd go with the 512MB of PC133 or buy a 2nd
    DDR module.

    Dave

    kony, Jan 4, 2004
  5. | This might be a stupid question, but I just picked up a K7S5A Athlon board
    | for $20 and it has 2 SDRAM slots and 2 DDR slots. Should I should put in
    2
    | x 256 SDRAM or 1 256 DDR pc2100? Don't know if it will influence a
    choice,
    | but I am thinking about overclocking it sometime down the road.
    |
    | Thanks

    Depends on application. I have opted over the past year or so in my Shuttle
    AK32L ( very similar board to the ECS K7S5A) for 1GB of PC133 over 512DDR
    (was about the same price at the time for 1 GB of PC133 or 512 PC2100). For
    most of the type applications I run, and tha amount of multitasking I do,
    the increased memory capacity far outweighs the bandwidth increase I would
    gain from DDR. I will soon be dumping the tired old PC133 for 1GB or so of
    DDR for my hopefully soon leap into the 64 bit world.

    At any rate, to make a long story short, if 256DDR or 512 PC133 are your
    only two options, I would think you would be better off with the capacity
    over bandwidth. Just depends on what you are going to run, how much
    (multitasking?), and each programs demands as far as capacity and bandwidth
    are concerned.

    Jason Cothran, Jan 4, 2004
  6. Jimmy B Jones

    stacey Guest

    I'd get the DDR as you can always add a stick later if needed, while with
    the SDRAM, you're stuck with the low bandwidth.

    stacey, Jan 5, 2004
  7. | This might be a stupid question, but I just picked up a K7S5A Athlon board

    Jason Cothran, Jan 5, 2004
  8. Jimmy B Jones

    Cuzman Guest

    " This might be a stupid question, but I just picked up a K7S5A Athlon board
    for $20 and it has 2 SDRAM slots and 2 DDR slots. Should I should put in 2
    x 256 SDRAM or 1 256 DDR pc2100? Don't know if it will influence a choice,
    but I am thinking about overclocking it sometime down the road. "

    It all depends on how you want to look at your future upgrade options. The
    K7S5A will accept 1GB of SDRAM or 1GB of DDR SDRAM. For maximum upgrade
    potential, you would be better off getting 1 x 512MB DDR RAM, so that you
    can add another 512MB DDR RAM at a later date.

    Cuzman, Jan 5, 2004
  9. Jimmy B Jones

    Hippy Paul Guest

    Interesting situation
    - however my view may be tainted by what appears to be the manger of a k7s5a
    that I have (won't take various cpus for no logical reason) which will not
    post with sdram in it but only ddr (have tried 512 pc133) - currently using
    256 ddr.
    Thing is if you do get the sdram (and it works) - you will be stuck with
    it - at least with ddr you can take it to another more modern board at a
    later date.
    Suppose you know about the Honey-X and Cheepoman overclocking bioses that
    add more options to the fsb selection - currently have mine (rev 3.1) at
    150mhz on pc2100.

    Hippy Paul, Jan 6, 2004
  10. No, I haven't heard of Honey-X or Cheepoman. Have any suggested sites to
    check it out before I use google?

    Thanks

    Jimmy B Jones, Jan 6, 2004
  11. Jimmy B Jones

    kony Guest

    I've got one that has the PC133 "issue" too, barely runs stable even
    with DDR though, let alone PC133... used to run better with DDR but is
    slowly dying, even though it isn't being used or running, each time I
    fire up that system it's less stable than the time before. To me it
    just reinforces the idea, again, that ECS is often more of a gamble
    than the cost savings are worth.

    FWIW, mine is a rev. 3.1. I think that and older had the PC133
    problem, while rev 5 didn't... not sure about which revision it was
    fixed on though, maybe Shep would know, he's probably the resident
    expert on the K7S5A.

    Dave

    kony, Jan 6, 2004
  12. Jimmy B Jones