    boot

    Have I been unlucky or is this just a poor machine?

    Chris

    Chris, Jan 21, 2006

  2. Chris

    NewMan Guest

    If you are on your third mobo, then I would have a close look at your
    power supply. If you have a power supply that has improper voltages,
    cannot handle the load placed on it, or is sending spikes into your
    motherboard, then it could be killing them.

    Find a tech and put the P/S on a scope to check for ripple and spikes.
    Measure all the voltages under load and make sure they are correct.

    Sometimes problems do not show up until the circuits are under load.

    A defective or intermittent P/S could also fail to generate a "poer
    good" signal. If the mobo deos not detect the power good signal, then
    it wont turn on in an attempt to protect the mobo.

    These days a P/S, even an excellent one, is pretty inexpensive.

    hth, and let us know!

    NewMan, Feb 1, 2006

  3. Chris

    joe.choate Guest

    My Rev 2 did same thing. Booted up one morning then nothing. Getting it
    RMA'd from Australia is hopeless - i've sent it away in Sep '05 and I'm
    still waiting.

    I've tested with external power supply before shipping it out. Swapped
    cpu & ram & video. Dead as.

    joe.choate, Feb 5, 2006
  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I'm glad that it's not just me.

    I like the form factor and the price, but they are way to fiddly to assemble
    and ubreliable to be worth it.
    Such a shame.

    Newman's comments are interesting but I don't have a 'scope handy and I
    can't see anywhere selling Shuttle internal power supllies so I can't go
    down that road.

    I shall wait for a new SN45 and put it on EBay (with a note of my
    experiences). Will probably fettch 10 pounds :))

    Thanks

    Chris

    Chris, Feb 7, 2006
  5. Chris

    Eric Parker Guest

    Chris

    You are in the UK, right ?
    Both these people sell replacement Shuttle PSUs.
    I'm not recommending either particularly.
    I put one in an SN41G2 recently from MD.

    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=5265&GroupID=9

    http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Category=140&SubCat=&Name=&Page=2&SortBy=

    Eric

    Eric Parker, Feb 8, 2006