Shuttle XPC SB62G2 XP install gone wrong

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Tom, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I had to reinstall XP so I decided to format and start from scratch.
    That was last weekend. I have since tried installing over 20 times
    and each time I get a different install error.

    This is my 5th XPC I have worked on, I consider myself an
    unprofessional computer expert BUT that doesn't mean I am not missing
    something.

    The system ran fine before I had to reinstall (software issue -
    adware).
    It has P4 2.4GHz HT, 1GB Mushkin PC3200 Memory, Seagate 160GB SATA HD,
    and everything else is stock.

    I have tried a different HD (smaller and IDE), different RAM, and 3
    different CD Drives.

    Sometimes it makes it through installation until the first reboot.
    One time it took until I did the updates from Microsoft. I have the
    most up to date BIOS, and I am quite certain it is set up correctly
    (although I am going to look at the SATA settings one more time). I
    have tried multiple XP CDs, and I have made sure that the HD is
    partitioned to a small size b/c XP doesn't recognize over 137GB until
    I get the update.

    I do not know what else to try, I am open to suggestions.

    Also, I have tried other things, but there have been so many attempts
    I can't list every variation. Any help would be most appreciated.

    I either get the blue screen o' death, or a warning that says "The
    system has recovered from a serious error".

    I am thinking of 0ing out the HD and trying that, but I have
    reformatted every time I install.

    Argh. Thanks for the help.

    Tom, Jun 3, 2004

  2. Don'tcha just love it? Makes me think of those ads where you see the
    puter crashing out the upstairs window. Anyway, have you reset the
    BIOS system defaults? I would do that if you have not already and also
    replace the MB battery. Also you might want to "fdisk" the MBR (type
    FDISK/MBR at the prompt and then hit return) and then do a full
    reformat of the HDD (again). I don't know if the XP installer has the
    fdisk utility but if not, you can run it from a W9X disk. All kind of
    "crap shoot" tries but maybe worth it at this point.
    Luck
    DD

    "It's easy when you know how..."
    Johnny Shines

    David DeCristoforo, Jun 3, 2004

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Well, I did most of those things you suggested. The BIOS one did the
    trick, sort of... I now have the OS loaded and most of my software
    back on it. A great leap after a week of being without my main PC,
    and spending close to 30 hours in the evenings on it (my wife hates
    computers now!)

    However, it is still crashing every once in a while. The only
    warnings that Microsoft gives me, after I report the crash, is that it
    is associated with the device driver. Interesting that I am using the
    same one I used for the 6 months the computer worked fine.

    So I am going to get another Video Card and give it a shot, not sure
    if it will improve squat, but if it fixes it I'll be happy.

    One weird thing is that Shuttle says the comp can put up to 64mb of
    shared RAM into the video using the onboard vga, but it only lets me
    put up to 16mb. I am not sure what this means, also I think this
    setting was part of my problem. I had to change it back to 8mb to get
    the thing to stay running while I loaded the OS.

    a slightly smaller argh!

    Tom, Jun 4, 2004
  4. One weird thing is that Shuttle says the comp can put up to 64mb of
    Most of the problems I have had with Shuttle XPCs (I have had several)
    have had to do with video. If you use the onboard video, leave the
    video BIOS settings at default. This will mean crappy video for gaming
    etc. but fine for most other operations. Even so, the provided drivers
    may give you fits. I went through three different AGP cards in my
    current XPC before the system stabilized.
    Smaller is better...no?
    DD

    "It's easy when you know how..."
    Johnny Shines

    David DeCristoforo, Jun 4, 2004
  5. If you install a new video card, don't forget to remove the existing
    drivers first or you might be right back in the s#*t. BTW my wife
    hates computers too. I think all wives hate computers!
    DD
    "It's easy when you know how..."
    Johnny Shines

    David DeCristoforo, Jun 4, 2004
  6. Tom

    Ralf Deifel Guest

    Hi David,

    Well, my GF plays online-games all day......but Ill take this as another
    reason to never marry :)

    Read ya,

    Ralf.

    Ralf Deifel, Jun 5, 2004
  7. Tom

    David Jones Guest

    I bought a Shuttle and installed their recommended memory..... twice but it
    didn't work. I finaly got it to work on the third set of memory. Don't
    scrimp on the memory, buy the best.....

    David Jones, Jun 7, 2004