Shuttle XPC SN45G a few ?'s

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Christo, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. Christo

    Christo Guest

    new to shuttles so have a few questions

    I am looking to build a relatively quiet yet performance PC

    i have been looking at

    Shuttle XPC SN45G on ebuyer (link below)

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52947

    now i have read that page and read a couple of the reviews, seen close up
    pictures on other wbesites and just love the look of the case!

    anyhow my few question are about the BIOS on the board in the system and the
    Power supply, probably in a FAQ somewhere i have been unable to find it
    however, also one Q about graphics cards

    I plan on using a Athlon XP-M 2600+ in the system and am wondering, do the
    BIOS allow me to change the CPU FSB settings and the multiplier, also do
    they allow me to change the CPU vcore

    the reason being for me wishing to know this is for overclocking, also if
    the CPU fan is a bit loud i might want to underclock the processor so i can
    tune down the CPU fan.

    Also what rating is the PSU 300w? does it even come with a PSU? it doesn't
    say so on the website (ebuyer) if it doesn't, will any mATX PSU do the job?
    any reccomendations that have been tried and tested, higher rating the
    better (350w if possible)

    Lastly has anyone had a top end gfx card (AGP) inside one of these little
    machines? at the minute i have a GeForce5200 (not so top end) which I will
    most likely be trying to get to 5900XT at least, or maybe even go for a 6800
    do they fit?

    any help would be much appreciated as would any advice, these are really
    nice alternatives to building one from scartch, which i dont think i could
    be fussed with.

    PS - has anyone ever sprayed the front of a DVD/CD drive or floppy disk
    drive?

    Christo, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Christo

    Phil Hoggins Guest

    Nice pc just what I built ! (V2)

    Doesn't say if it's a V1 or V2 (bit concerned that I'd be getting an old V1)
    Can't answer that one as I've never looked into overclocking
    250w silent PSU on the SNG45V2 comes as standard 200w on the SNG45V1
    If you haven't already ask at the forum
    http://forums.sudhian.com/categories.cfm?catid=43 someone will answer
    why would you want to ? I assume you are thinking about making them
    silver if so just buy silver drives thats what I did.

    Phil Hoggins, Dec 15, 2004

  3. Christo

    Christo Guest

    no i want to get the white coloued XPC with the glass front, and my drives
    are currently silver and want them to match the cool white finish underneath
    the glass cover.

    just wondered, i have since found white drives though so it shouldn't be a
    prob

    thanks for the help

    Christo, Dec 15, 2004
  4. Christo

    Christo Guest

    or am i being blind as it closer to silver under the glass than

    rather than white?

    Christo, Dec 15, 2004
  5. Christo

    Phil Hoggins Guest

    It's silver, I have the SNG45V2 sitting right by me now !

    Phil Hoggins, Dec 15, 2004
  6. Christo

    Christo Guest

    great!

    haha i am blind seriously, i will probs be getting one of them then, they
    are TINY!!! much better than having a big fat noisy server case with a lud
    stock HD/FAN 2 case fans, gpu fan and HDD cooler fan as well as PSU fan haha

    space ship style

    Christo, Dec 15, 2004
  7. Christo

    Phil Hoggins Guest

    Just ensure you get the V2 model, the price at ebuyer seems V cheap
    compared with aria

    Phil Hoggins, Dec 15, 2004
  8. Christo

    BORG Guest

    Just tried a 5900xt and it has a double sizes front plate and wont fit
    the shuttle

    BORG, Dec 15, 2004
  9. Christo

    Christo Guest

    yeah thanks, i will check it out on kelkoo.co.uk and make sure it is v2, i
    am now maybe considering going for the 3200+ instead of the mobile Oc'in in
    that small case doesnt seem sane lol

    does the "heatsink" require thermal paste?

    Christo, Dec 15, 2004
  10. Christo

    Christo Guest

    i have found a v3 whats that like that? or couldnt you omment on it?

    http://www.theglowlounge.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/471

    it looks the same apart from SATA and maybe more USB etc.

    i think i will probs end up going for that if i can find a 5400rpm SATA hdd
    i wannt keep it small and quiet as possible

    Christo, Dec 15, 2004
  11. Christo

    Phil Hoggins Guest

    There is some thermal paste included in the box but I recommend getting
    some Arctic Silver. If your going to put a 3200+ in there make sure
    there is good air flow, it might get a bit hot in there.

    Phil Hoggins, Dec 15, 2004
  12. Christo

    Phil Hoggins Guest

    V3 is SATA and I think a few other minor tweaks the shuttle web site
    should have details. Remember you will need a floppy drive to install
    the SATA drivers, I say this as I don't have a floppy drive in mine, I
    have a card reader and USB pen drive if I need to transfer data.

    Phil Hoggins, Dec 15, 2004
  13. Christo

    Conor Guest

    Yes up to 1.85V in steps then over 1.85V

    On the SN45G it is rated at 200W on the SN45GV2 its rated at 250W. As a
    250W will run a Geforce 6800 Ultra and XP3200 why do you need more?
    You need to watch out for the nVidia ones as some use two slot spaces so
    are too wide. Top end Radeons OK though.

    Conor, Dec 15, 2004
  14. Christo

    Markku Ojala Guest

    I know this comes a bit late, you've propably got your Shuttle
    already, but what the hell.
    Haven't actually done it, but the front of the drives can usually be
    easily snapped off for the paintjob. I'd say it's better to not just
    point a spraycan at the drive.

    On my current machine i don't have any removable media drives at all.
    I've got USB and Firewire ports though, so if need be, i can get
    something to connect externally. I happened to see one of those
    "n-in-one" external media readers with a floppy-drive, cdrom and
    cardreaders to connect to USB, and will possibly get one of them one day.
    I doubt i'll be able to boot from an USB cd or floppy though. I'm not
    sure if the one's available write CDs or DVDs, and i'd prefer not to
    have a separate drive just for toasting.

    Also, we will build a GNU machine to serve removable media drives,
    among other things to the household, and connect to it with SMB.
    Ought to be adequate for the casual need of CDs or floppies.

    ..mace --- 1+ ´§ § F

    Markku Ojala, Dec 25, 2004