Shuttle Zen (ST62K) good or bad opinions?

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by mike.j.harvey, Sep 19, 2005.

  1. I have had a Shuttle Zen for nearly 12 months. It has a 3.0 GHz
    Prescott and 1 GB of TwinMos PC3200 RAM, and it has been working fine,
    except for some small problems:

    1. Left plugged in all the time, it regularly finds the wrong FSB after
    a cold boot, ie 166 x 15 instead of 200 x 15. I can get around this by
    pressing reset while still in the boot screen, once I see the incorrect
    fsb reported. It never happens if I leave the AC power switched off at
    the wall when not using the computer, or if I disconnnect the DC
    connector from the system unit. (The Zen has a separate fanless "power
    brick"). The last BIOS update (the Z bios) was intended to address this
    issue, but was not universally successful.

    2. There is a faint crackle through my powered speakers which seems to
    correspond to disk and/or bus activity.

    I can live with these problems quite easily. I like the system,
    especially its low noise levels. However, over on the Sudhian forums,
    the Zen has a terrible reputation. Some people allege that these
    machines are prone to burn up their cpus through fan or fan header
    failure. Others say they have had no problems. I have not found any
    mention of endemic Zen fan failures anywhere else. (Eg here).

    Do any present or former Zen / ST62k users have any comments?

    mike.j.harvey, Sep 19, 2005

  2. mike.j.harvey

    rcheli108 Guest

    I've had the ST62K for almost eight months and I love it!

    However, regarding the fan problem - it could be a real problem. Just
    today, I noticed that the fan was erratically on and off and the
    temperature at the rear vent was very hot. I turned off the pc and the
    unit won't turn on. I waited for a couple of hours and came back, the
    next thing I noticed was the FSB speed was wrong (166x18 instead of
    133x18), the startup was extremely slow, and the fan was not turning at
    all - normally the fan would start at full speed during bios checking.
    I haven't gone to the bottom it, but there's a good chance either the
    fan is blown or the fan controller is bad. BTW I've tried different
    setting for the fan, such as setting it to force high/mid/low speed and
    auto speed. The fan simply won't turn...

    rcheli108, Sep 24, 2005

  3. Have you tried moving the fan connector from Fan 1 header to Fan 3
    header?

    mike.j.harvey, Sep 27, 2005