    If so, is there any solution to salvage my 400GB array?

    Thanx,

    Tom

    Tom van Oosterwyck, Jun 27, 2006

  2. Tom van Oosterwyck

    Ian O Guest

    Don't want to tick you off, but you've put everything into RAID 0 but
    you don't have a backup you can use?

    You stand an excellent chance, however, of getting the array off the
    ground on the new mobo - what might be awkward after that is getting
    your OS to boot.

    Ian O, Jun 27, 2006

  3. Tom van Oosterwyck

    Paul Guest

    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportfaq.aspx#q7

    "Can I move my functional and current RAID set to another controller?

    Yes, you can move a functional RAID set to another Silicon Image
    controller running the same type of RAID BIOS and driver and it
    will work as a RAID set on the new controller. The controllers
    store the meta data that defines and is used to manage the RAID
    set on the drives which allows the RAID set to be moved between
    controllers and still work. Moving between embedded controllers
    and add-in card controllers also works.

    For best results when moving a RAID set, use the same type of
    controller chip and as close as possible to the same releases of
    BIOS, driver, and management tools.

    To be safe, also back up any critical data from the RAID set
    before moving it, especially if there are differences in controller,
    BIOS version or driver version."

    That doesn't tell you anything :-(

    If you want a PCI card with SIL3112 chip on it, there is one here:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124006
    http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/15-124-006-02.jpg

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 27, 2006
  4. Paul,

    Thanx for replying.
    Do you think it's safe just to connect the drives to the 3132 and boot up
    (the drives are pure data-drives and don't contain the OS)
    or would doing that harm the integrity of the array?

    Tom van Oosterwyck, Jun 28, 2006
  5. Tom van Oosterwyck

    Paul Guest

    If there was a way to guarantee that the array would be mounted
    read-only, I'd say give it a shot. (In the old days, SCSI drives
    had a write protect jumper, which would be perfect for a job like
    this. Modern drives don't seem to have that notion, of disabling
    writes with the convenience of a jumper.)

    Since there is a chance that some writing to the disks could
    occur, I would not take a chance. They are your drives and
    your data, so if the data is of little importance, then you could
    try it. Otherwise, I would be more conservative and find a
    controller with SIL3112 RAID on it.

    The thing is, I don't know how well written the Silicon Image
    option ROM is, and whether it would do the correct thing if
    it discovered meta data that it did not understand. Companies
    like Promise, who make RAID controllers, strive to make the
    meta data compatible between controllers. I was hoping to find
    a similar statement on the Silicon Image site, and instead found
    the "you'd better use an identical chipset" answer that I did.

    You could always try and contact Silicon Image and see if they
    think the SIL3132 would be safe to use.

    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportform.aspx

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 29, 2006
  6. Tom van Oosterwyck

    old man Guest

    I'm interested, so let us know if it works ok, please

    old man, Jun 29, 2006