SilentTek / WinXP and not Admin

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Guenter, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. Guenter

    Guenter Guest

    Hi,

    I am using the AK79D-400VM and the SilentTek hardware monitoring tool.
    It's really great in reducing the noise, in fact, my computer runs
    without noise most of the time (thanks to not overclicking it :).

    But I have a son who has his own account as a normal User. When he
    starts up his account, the SilentTek utility displays an error telling
    me that the motherboard is not supported! The same tool works nice,
    however, when I am logged in (with admin rights).

    For I have carefully chosen the OS to NOT give full control to my
    children, I'd like to know which specific rights the program needs to
    run.

    Can anyone help out ?

    I am using the setup for Version 3.12.28, although even after
    installation the File version of hardwaremonitor.exe is 3.0.0.2...

    Guenter from Frankfurt/Germany

    Guenter, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Log into your Administrator account, go to the .exe for the file, should be
    in program files. Right click on the exe, and select properties. On the main
    tab, select the advanced button. You should be able to check "run with
    different credentials", then click ok, and apply. You should then be able to
    log onto your sons account, and it should run, the only thing is it may pop
    up a window asking how you want it to run, just pick "administrator"

    Dan

    Angry American, Dec 1, 2003

  3. Guenter

    guenter Guest

    Dan,

    that's exactly what I do not want. My son should be able to play his
    games, write his eMails and do some office stuff, but i do not want
    him to have access to administrative credentials, and I do not want to
    be at home every time he starts his account (I believe that's what
    rights are for...).
    So I already know this workaround, but it doesn't help me at all.
    I was looking for some SilentTek/AOpen guy being aware of XP
    attitudes...

    Nevertheless, thanks for answering me!

    Guenter

    guenter, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Guenter,

    This only allows admin priveldges for that particular program, nothing else.
    It does not allow him to use anything that he wasnt allowed before.

    Dan

    Angry American, Dec 1, 2003
  5. Guenter

    guenter Guest

    Hi Dan,

    tried to follow your advice, but can't find the "run as" on the
    property page.
    I am using Windows XP Professional SP1, and the advanced-button on the
    main property page just shows Archive- and Compression attributes...

    any ideas ?
    Guenter

    guenter, Dec 4, 2003