Silicon Image RAID controller - "Invalid / Incomplete RAID"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bruce Ure, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. Bruce Ure

    Bruce Ure Guest

    I promise to send 100 of our shiny English pounds - or equivalent - to
    anyone who solves this for me.

    I am having a major problem with an Innovision AP-1680 ATA-133 RAID
    controller (which uses the common Silicon Image RAID chipset), or
    rather the loss of data on the RAID array connected to it.

    There are 4x120-Gig IBM drives configured RAID 0+1 (striped and
    mirrored) which gives a single virtual RAID volume of 240 Gigs. It is
    running as a data-only drive on Windows XP Pro SP1, as drive D:. The
    OS is on a totally separate IDE drive.

    All was fine until a power failure, at which point when the machine
    came back up it started rebuilding the mirror set. I don't know if
    this is related to what happened next but I was happily copying files
    off the disk when it suddenly disappeared from Windows. On rebooting I
    got messages from the RAID controller's BIOS saying "Incomplete RAID!
    Press F3 to enter RAID utility." When I do this there are only options
    to Delete RAID set, Create RAID set, Resolve Conflicts (?) and another
    I forget but which is definitely not relevant. In any case it will
    only let me go into option 1 and I am pretty certain I will lose my
    data if I take that option.

    So, if I cancel out of the RAID BIOS utility, I get another message
    "Invalid RAID. BIOS not installed" and Windows then boots, but of
    course the RAID drive is not there. It can not be seen at all. Neither
    can the physical drives themselves, though the controller is there in
    Device Manager. The supplied Medley utility can not see them nor can
    Device Manager.

    The question is, of course, how can I recover this RAID set? There is
    a lot of extremely valuable (to me) data here. I was foolish enough to
    trust my data to a single system while I rationalised space elsewhere
    to back it up again, but the fact I only have myself to blame doesn't
    make it any easier to deal with.

    Thanks for any help received.

    Bruce

    Bruce Ure, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Bruce Ure

    idunno Guest

    What kind of power protection are you using? The scenario you are
    describing is exactly why I usually recommend at least a line
    conditioner and usually a quality ups with at least avr if not network
    grade line conditioning. Certainly, whenever possible, you should
    always make certain the utility line to the building is properly
    grounded and the outlets are properly installed (I have found tons of
    serious mistakes made by electricians).

    You are talking about serious corruption and maybe even hardware
    damage. Can you ascertain any information re SMART status of any of
    the drives? Good controllers can reveal that nfo as well as
    controller diagnostics even if the array or system is
    unbootable/unusable. Good controllers also allow you to rebuild the
    array congifuration based on the configuration data on the HDDs or
    from a backup file you can put on a floppy disk. You should explore
    these issues first, if possible, as well as verifying the integrity of
    the rest of the hardware before proceeding to more dramatic steps.

    If you have a link to the controller's manual online, maybe we can
    explore these and other options.

    idunno, Dec 10, 2003