Silly question regarding fitting an Asus Star Ice onto an Asus A8N-SLI motherboard

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Guy Shepherd, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. Guy Shepherd

    Guy Shepherd Guest

    This may seem a stupid question, but having just bought one of these
    monsters to go with my Asus A8N-SLI motherboard (Skt 939), I'm
    struggling to fit it.

    Because of the cutout on the base of the cooler, whichever way round I
    put it, it just doesn't cover the whole of the CPU, always leaving a
    slim edge uncovered.

    Now am I just being stupid, or should this thing be in direct contact
    with the CPU over its entire surface? It almost seems to me that there
    is a fundamental design fault with it but I've heard of loads of other
    people using it without problems with an AMD 64. I would certainly
    expect it to be compatible with an Asus motherboard...

    Never had this problem before with other HSFs

    Someone please put me out of my misery!!!

    Cheers

    Guy

    Guy Shepherd, Feb 22, 2005

  2. Guy Shepherd

    chuckie® Guest

    Possible, repeat possible, that it won't fit a Socket 939 processor. The
    specs show:
    LGA775, Socket 478, K7, K8
    as far as sockets go. They do list a cooler specific to Socket 939...HTH...

    chuckie®, Feb 22, 2005

  3. Guy Shepherd

    Guy Shepherd Guest

    I checked with the supplier (and a review in Custom PC) and it's
    definitely supposed to fit Socket 939. I can't believe it won't fit a
    motherboard made by the same company!! There seems to be a lot of
    trouble with this heatsink and this motherboard. Wish I had found this
    out before I bought it.

    The problem seems to be that it doesn't seem to be possible to fit the
    heatsink in such a way that it is centred on the processor. Whichever
    orientation is chosen, the cutout on the base of the heatsink exposes
    one edge of the processor. If I could fit it off centre somehow it
    would be fine, but the standard fixings won't allow it.

    I'm presuming that it's not good to leave any of the surface of the
    CPU exposed...?

    Guy

    Guy Shepherd, Feb 23, 2005
  4. Guy Shepherd

    chuckie® Guest

    I must confess ignorance on the subject of any part of the CPU being
    exposed. Never had the problem and haven't read anything about it. It
    would seem logical that it shouldn't be, however, it may be alright. I have
    a 64/3000+ (socket 754) that I got an Arctic Cool cooler for, now, if I
    enable it, the m/b 'guru' thinks the CPU is overheating constantly (it
    isn't). Like you said, you would think that the m/b manufacturer would know
    what would work and what wouldn't. Mayhap, some other kind soul will have
    better advice...luck...

    chuckie®, Feb 24, 2005