Simple Steps to Create an OS 9 only image

Discussion in 'Apple' started by jimohagan, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. jimohagan

    jimohagan Guest

    Hey All.

    I am a tech coordinator for a school district that has the vast
    majority of its machines on OS 9.2.2 (hey, its what we can afford and
    is still a very viable operating system). I come from the PC world and
    have worked extensively with Norton Ghost to create clones, but I
    cannot find a reliable, simple set of instructions on how to do this
    with an OS 9 machine (I can do this with no problems with OSX and have
    used bombich.com for their great amount of software). I have not much
    hair left and have been pulling it out of my head.

    I have tried many things, but let's start from scratch. Let's consider
    that I am the biggest dumb-squat. How do I take an OS 9 machine that is
    all ready to be imaged, create the image, and load that image onto
    another machine. I do have OSX server, so NetBoot is available. I am
    also prepared to do this on CD (which may work fine because the image I
    have is only 350MB) and even firewire it over to those machine with
    firewire available.

    Thank you for any help!!!

    jimohagan, Jan 17, 2005

  2. Because OS9 has no 'permissions' and things like that, you can simply
    drag-and-drop everything from one disk to another. If you also copy a
    system folder, you may have to open and close the folder copy once
    before its recognised as a valid system folder, but that should be all.

    Johan W. Elzenga, Jan 17, 2005

  3. jimohagan

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    If the machines are identical in hardware, you can, as Johann Elzenga
    suggested just use drag & drop to create a filesystem that gets copied.

    If they aren't identical -- I'm not sure what you would do.

    Beverly

    Bev A. Kupf, Jan 17, 2005
  4. jimohagan

    Charles Dyer Guest

    What I'd do is generate a basic install set. Because different machines have
    different hardware setups (beige G3s, blue&white G3s, and iMac G3s are all
    very different beasts, and there are differences between the various
    generations of iMac G3s as well) the best way would be to get hold of an
    image of a basic OS 9.x install CD, plus the updaters necessary to go to
    9.2.2. My OS 9.2.1 CD image weighs in at about 570 MB; my OS 9.1 CD image is
    maybe 10 MB less. The OS 9.2.x to 9.2.2 updater is 21 MB, the 9.1 to 9.2.1
    updater is 83 MB. I can and have burned CDs which contain the full factory
    9.2.1 install and the 9.2.2 updater. The size of the installer means that any
    non-Apple-supplied applications have to go on a separate CD. If you have a
    machine which requires the 9.1 CD, it's better to put the updaters on the
    application CD.

    Because you have a factory-standard 9.2.1 installer, and a factory-standard
    9.2.2 updater, you can be sure that the installs will be appropriate for the
    machines in question. Once the OS is installed, you can drag the apps over
    from the apps CD. This approach means that you can install any of the
    standard systems and apps on any machine which has a working CD drive. It is,
    however, slow. It means that someone has to physically run the installer on
    each machine... at least twice. This gets old real quick. if you don't have
    minions to do this kind of thing for you, it might be best to go to Plan B.

    Older machines, such as beige G3s, can be booted from external SCSI hard
    drives. If you have such machines, get an external drive, format it, run the
    installer and any updaters and copy over the apps. You now have a drive
    which will boot those machines properly, and all you have to do is boot the
    targets from that drive and drag the proper folders over to the target,
    deleting older stuff as necessary. Newer machines can boot from external
    FireWire drives. If you have such machines, get a FireWire drive and install
    the OS onto it when that drive's attached to one such target machine. Again,
    you can now boot and copy over the relevant folders, deleting older ones as
    necessary.

    Plan B costs more, but is a _lot_ easier to do. It still requires physically
    moving from machine to machine, but it's a lot less effort than running the
    installer on each machine. The problem is that some machines (first and
    second generation iMac G3s, and blue&white G3s) can't boot from FireWire,
    don't have SCSI (unless added as an aftermarket card to the B&Ws) and lack
    floppy drives, which makes them a pain to access except using CDs. If you
    have those machines, you either use Plan A, or boot them from a CD or via
    NetBoot so that they can see the network, and then mount a volume from the
    server which contains the required installers. You're going to need to run
    the installers on one of those machines at least once. Then you can copy the
    resulting System Folder to the server, and then copy that copy to the other
    machines.

    You could use the network copy method for all machines, of course, but then
    you won't have a portable drive which contains a _known_ vanilla boot system
    for your machines. I use such drives, also loaded with disk utilities, as
    fixit drives. When there's a problem with a machine, attach the fixit drive
    and boot from that and fixit. As you're gonna have to have the fixit drives
    in the first place you might as well use them to do the install...

    Charles Dyer, Jan 18, 2005
  5. jimohagan

    jimohagan Guest

    Luckily for me I have factory CDs of 9.2.2 and 9.2.1 and I am going
    only betweek iBooks. Since I have pretty standard equipment then
    between these iBooks, in theory, I should be able to:

    1. Drag and drop files (I would be doing this via Firewire through my
    OS X.3 laptop to the laptop I wish to clone). I would then open the
    system folder to have it recognize those files.

    2. Create a boot disk with all my installer and updater files (I have
    toast 6 titanium, would this suffice to create that boot disk?). And
    then use a seperate disk (or firewire) the apps over to the new
    machine.

    3. Create a disk image, somehow someway, from my original laptop I wish
    to clone, and then load that image up to my Xserve, enable netboot, and
    then netboot that image?

    Please note that I have approx 36 laptops that I need to install 9.2.2
    and want them all to be the same. I think netbooting would be the
    easiest way (Norton Ghost would be the easiest way) and have prepared a
    seperate closed network on its own switch to perform this task.

    jimohagan, Jan 18, 2005