    domain, perhaps. For the rest of us it's appallingly useless.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 31, 2008

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Guest Guest

    In fairness, their IMAP server is just fine (if a bit flakey).
    It's their SMTP which is broken that way.

    You can use their IMAP for incoming mail and use your
    ISP's SMTP for outgoing if you like.

    (I use neither of those, though, fwiw. Their broken SMTP
    setup contributes to my reasons for not using them. I don't
    trust them, especially after obviously bogus claims like
    the one where they explain that their SMTP is broken for
    "security" reasons)

    Guest, Aug 31, 2008

  3. If you want a top notch SMTP and IMAP provider, try fastmail.fm.

    Cheers,

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Aug 31, 2008
  4. Hmmm... do they have decent webmail as well?

    Part of the appeal of .Mac mail and Gmail is I get exactly the same
    email, filters, etc wherever I am. The trouble with Gmail IMAP is it's
    chunkiness compared to .Mac. Nevertheless Gmail is what I use as it's
    free and does the job, only with less polish.

    So as I already subscribe to .Mac for the sync and iDisk it would be
    nice to actually be able to use the damn email component I'm paying for
    as well *sigh*

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 31, 2008
  5. Yeah, but their webmail is still rendered useless by the inability to
    use another non-.mac/MobileMe address, and I need the whole package -
    IMAP and webmail I can use with wizardling.geek.nz so wherever I am I
    have the same email and filters, etc.
    It's so freaking boneheaded. I've just sent another complaint via .Mac
    support - I wonder what useless form response I'll get this time...

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    P.S. I like your email username, even if it's not real :)

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 31, 2008
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Davoud Guest

    What are you, a Fox "news" reader? Which is it, fine or flaky?

    Davoud

    Davoud, Aug 31, 2008
  7. That and using the .Mac SMTP server in Mail.
    So what do you do wihout your own computer?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 31, 2008
  8. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    It's broken? huh!

    I've been sending messages using Mail for the last, ooh, three or four
    years, and apart from being a little slow, sending messages works
    perfectly well here. Since MobileMe started, I actually changed over to
    using MobileMe mail accounts from my non-.Mac services, and so far it's
    worked perfectly. Their IMAP service is far far better than, say, Gmail.

    I can send messages, using SMTP, by way of my MobileMe accounts, Gmail
    accounts (using their own secure server), my own ISP's server, and Yahoo
    too. Gmail works using either POP or IMAP (or both if you so wish).

    Admitedly I don't use any webmail, preferring to use a local client
    (other than to clear the Spam folders in my Gmail accounts).
    For me, I have a laptop, and take it with me when I go away - most of my
    family have wireless broadband (unless it's a real holiday, then I
    forget about the world of the Internet).

    Andy Hewitt, Aug 31, 2008
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Guest Guest

    Use Fastmail.FM
    Thanks. I've been using it for years.

    Guest, Aug 31, 2008
  10. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Guest Guest

    Their server is set up and operates just fine. Connections to
    it are flakey.

    I have no idea what you mean by 'Fox "news" reader'.

    Guest, Aug 31, 2008
  11. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Guest Guest

    Actually, it's the best I know of.

    They also provide web space and DAV access to file storage.

    Guest, Aug 31, 2008
  12. I find their policy and stated reasons perfectly reasonable for what I
    would expect from something that isn't intended to be ones primary mail
    service. I would never, ever, recommend that someone use .Mac as the core
    of their mailing needs.

    I've set up mail systems for businesses and helped run a university one.
    We also had a policy that all outgoing mail from our SMTP servers had From
    addresses that were our users. (We also actively discouraged people using
    other SMTP servers not under our control for sending mail with "our"
    domain name.) But we weren't trying to be a general mail service. Our
    intent was limited, and I see the .Mac system as similarly limited. And
    perfectly honestly, I don't expect more from it.

    If you are serious about your email, then

    (1) Don't use a free service (like gmail, yahoo, etc)

    and

    (2) Don't use a service from someone whose business doesn't depend on
    doing mail right.

    I continue to recommend fastmail.fm. They run the email system that I
    would have liked to design. Even their webmail is usable.

    Cheers,

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Aug 31, 2008
  13. Mail.app is fine for sending mail. That is not what people were
    complaining about.
    Absolutely true.
    Yes. Nobody has said otherwise. What people are complaining about is
    then when you send mail via your MobileMe account you MUST use your .mac
    return address. You cannot, for example, send mail with your gmail
    address via the .Mac SMTP server.
    Needless to say, it is a bad idea to use both POP and IMAP on the same
    account. There is a high chance of misplacing mail if you do so.

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Aug 31, 2008
  14. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    [..]
    Ok, I understand now. In which case I'm surprised that's a real problem.
    IIRC when I first got Internet connection, that was pretty much the norm
    for most ISPs anyway, in that only there own servers could be used for
    sending/retrieving mail. Some, at least here in the UK, would even block
    you from accessing *any* other mail server.

    As far as I'm concerned, I prefer to keep all my emails seperated into
    their respective accounts anyway, so mixing addresses with different
    servers just isn't an issue.
    Indeed, although I found the opposite with the Gmail system, ending up
    with multiple versions of messages. I was quite surprised the setting
    isn't a POP or IMAP toggle, rather than two seperate selections so both
    can be activated together.

    Andy Hewitt, Aug 31, 2008
  15. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Hmm, I've just done exactly that myself, finding it suits all my
    emailing needs very well.
    And that's the key to the issues. Apple's MobileMe/.Mac system isn't a
    business solution, it's a consumer solution. I wouldn't recommend it to
    anyone using it for business use either. However, for a small family,
    it's ideal.
    I used Gmail because it is actually better than many paid for services,
    certainly most of the ISP services in the UK are pretty rubbish at
    least. Yahoo is terrible though, and often falls down.
    Indeed, if you *need* Email as part of your business structure, you'd
    get a service that met your needs the best.

    Andy Hewitt, Aug 31, 2008
  16. They have the only webmail system I've ever seen that doesn't make my skin
    crawl.
    This is the appeal of IMAP. And fastmail does IMAP right with all its
    glory. The filtering is server side, so you can use any IMAP client (or
    webbrowser) and truly get identical behavior.
    Google does IMAP is an odd sort of half-assed way. They didn't start out
    doing IMAP and when they added it, it just didn't fit with the structure
    of what was already in place. Beware that some mail clients (Outlook
    Express) don't really use IMAP properly, but do what is best described as
    "POP over IMAP".
    I wouldn't trust a free service unless there were decent service level
    guarantees in place. Another problem with free services is that they
    become sources of spam (as gmail has). As a consequence many other places
    on the planet will correctly be suspicious of mail coming from gmail and
    are more likely to bounce.
    Your ISP also offers webspace (though not WebDAV) and email, but chances
    are they suck at it. Yes it would be nice to get a quality bundle from
    one place, that doesn't seem to be available. fastmail.fm does offer
    webspace and file storage with webDAV (like iDisk), but I haven't played
    with it to judge.

    What I've seen is that ISPs and the like offer email service to promote
    lock-in. If you have a Verizon.net email address you may be less likely to
    change to a different ISP if it means changing email addresses. Gmail,
    hotmail, yahoo don't do IMAP properly (if at all) because they want to
    drive people to use their webmail systems where the adverts are. I'm
    guessing that .Mac was really driven as an added (for pay) set of features
    for iLife.

    So, I shop around for each individual service. My web hosting is one
    place (well, now I just host at home), my ISP (verizon) is another, my
    registrar is another (register4less), my email is another (fastmail.fm)
    and my DNS service is at another (dnspark.net).

    All of this evolved out of dissatisfaction with what I was getting from
    "bundles" or from free or cheaper services (like zoneedit for DNS).
    Except for hosting, I really think that I've got top notch services for
    everything. But I do pay a bit extra. But as I said, you are already
    paying "extra" considering that your ISP offers many of the services that
    you use .Mac for.

    Cheers,

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Aug 31, 2008
  17. But still only .mac or .me addresses which is all useless for someone
    with their own domain.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 31, 2008
  18. *laughs @ self* Of course I meant 'clunkiness'!

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 31, 2008
  19. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Wes Groleau Guest

    So do I.
    I'm not. Stop spammers by blocking things that only spammers do,
    not things that are perfectly legitimate even if a little unusual.

    Wes Groleau, Sep 1, 2008
  20. Heh, sometimes, especially if you've big fingers and an iPod touch's
    touchscreen KB.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 1, 2008