single 1GB RAM module on ECS K7S5A: sssllloooww

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by je98, Sep 30, 2007.

  1. je98

    je98 Guest

    Hi!

    My ECS K7S5A has been woking flawlessly on two ram modules so far:
    2 x 256MB PC2100 DDR 133MHZ.

    I've tried to substitute the two modules with a single ram module
    1 x 1GB PC2100 DDR 266MHZ.

    The sstem starts booting at an incredibly slow speed (forced
    shutdown after a 15 minutes wait).

    According to the manual
    http://www.ecsusa.com/DLfile/manual/mb/eng/k7/k7s5a10eng.zip
    the ECS K7S5A supports max 1GB at max 266MHZ if DDR.

    Everything works fine if I put on again the 2 x 256MB modules.

    Pictures of old and new ram modules:
    http://tinyurl.com/2ua6e3

    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

    je98, Sep 30, 2007

  2. je98

    Paul Guest

    The Samsung semiconductor site is a mess of Adobe Flash, and instead
    I downloaded a PDF product listing.

    http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...s/downloads/memory/psg_all_product_200708.pdf

    The K4H510438D part is listed in that document, as a 128Mx4 and
    60 ball FBGA. (The 04 part of the number, tells you the interface
    width of 4 bits wide.) Your part is a 66 pin TSOP. It means that exact
    part is not made any more, at least as far as the Aug 2007 catalog
    is concerned. The general idea though, is to see the naming convention
    used by Samsung, and convince yourself the chip in question is a 128Mx4.

    You must have got this from Ebay, or the guy you bought it from,
    bought it off Ebay. Usually, the Ebay adverts have a restricted set
    of motherboard chipsets, that RAM like that will work with. Yes, it
    is nice cheap stuff... when it works.

    A typical Ebay advert, lists these chipsets as compatible. Personally,
    I wouldn't take the chance on modules with 128Mx4 ("high density")
    RAM - instead buy branded RAM such as Kingston or Crucial.

    SIS 645 VIA P4X266A NFORCE 250GB
    SIS 648 VIA KT266/333 ULI CHIPSETS
    SIS 648FX VIA KT600
    SIS 746FX VIA PT800
    SIS 661FX KM400
    SIS 655 K8T800
    SIS 650GX KT 880
    SIS 650 KT 400
    KT 400A

    Now, the second surprise, is k7S5A doesn't actually take 1GB sticks :-(

    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=13231

    "Virtually any configuration up to 1GB can be reached using any
    combination of Kingston's 128, 256, and 512MB modules."

    I think the manual is trying to tell you, a total of 1GB is supported,
    or 2 x 512MB. So you don't want a 1GB module after all, and the module
    you bought looks like "Ebay RAM".

    Crucial web site shows the same story for K7S5A rev 1.x.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=K7S5A (Rev 1.X)

    SIS says "max 512MB per DIMM", assuming I got the right chipset.
    http://www.sis.com/products/sis735_features.htm

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 30, 2007

  3. je98

    je98 Guest

    Exactly.

    Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

    Bye!

    je98, Oct 1, 2007
  4. je98

    je98 Guest

    Here's the official answer, obtained through the Technical Support
    at http://www.ecs.com.tw:

    je98, Oct 2, 2007