  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    What is the difference please. I am looking at DDR400

    Sam, Oct 25, 2003

  2. Sam

    Alex Fraser Guest

    One has chips on one side, the other has chips on both sides :p.

    Seriously though, a single-sided module is one bank, whereas a double-sided
    one is two banks, and for a given size (ie, in MB), each of the chips on a
    single-sided module are twice the density of those on a double-sided module.

    All motherboards have a limit to the size per bank, so a single-sided module
    of a given size may not work where a double-sided module of the same size
    would. Some motherboards "alias" banks, so a double-sided module of a given
    size may not work where a single-sided module of the same size would,
    depending on what other modules are installed.

    As an example of the latter, some motherboards have three slots but only
    four banks: slot 1 is physically wired to be banks 0 ("front") and 1
    ("back"), slot 2 to be banks 2 and 3, and slot 3 to be banks 3 and 2.
    Subject to density limits, you can use any single- or double-sided module in
    the first slot, but the other two slots can only have (in total) one
    double-sided module, or two single-sided modules.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Oct 25, 2003

  3. Sam

    Mark Nichols Guest

    See Anandtech memory reviews from a month or so ago...
    They found that the double-sided sticks were slightly faster....

    Mark Nichols, Oct 26, 2003