    double-sided DIMMs.
    From the dual channel perspective, single-sided DIMMs seem to be the way to
    go, yet they appear scarce.

    Comments?

    DIMMs, Mar 20, 2006

  2. DIMMs

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Whatever gave you that idea? Historically that may have been the
    case at one time or another but today?

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Mar 20, 2006

  3. It was more important to get single sided with earlier AMD64 CPUs,
    especially s939 and if you wanted to get 1T command rate. With more recent
    CPUs, AFAIK, the memory controller has been improved and according to
    tables in the docs, it's more tolerant of multiple ranks at full speed.

    It may still be a better strategy to start with single sided if the
    intention is to increase mamory capacity later... and they you can find
    them: here's a Crucial part
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146541 which is
    said to be .8T (that is the clue for Crucial DIMMs with Micron parts) but
    the pic shows the suffix as .M8FD which I believe is with Samsung parts -
    funny thing is that the 2nd pic shows .16FG so who knows?? The .8Ts I got
    from NewEgg a while back were indeed .8Ts and work flawlessly at
    3-3-3-8(1T). The "scoop" on Web Forums is that the Samsung parts Crucial
    is using are not as good as the Micron ones and may only run at 2T.<shrug>

    George Macdonald, Mar 20, 2006
  4. DIMMs

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    Ref DIMMs. Does anybody know if "SIMMS" are still available
    somewhere??? I have a device for my Commodore128 called Ram/Link
    which uses non parity simms (4 megs storage per simm) and it has
    2 of them so totals out to 8 megs of storage.
    Joe

    * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*
    * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) *
    * Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINATOR *

    Joseph Fenn, Mar 21, 2006
  5. DIMMs

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Try Kingston. Expect to pay a lot.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Mar 21, 2006
  6. DIMMs

    DIMMs Guest

    Well I called the mobo representative in my country and he said my processor
    indeed has a limitation of working well with only 4 banks of memory, so that
    means I'll have to replace one of my two double-sided 512mb DIMMs with a 1gb
    double-sided DIMM to upgrade from 1gb ram to 1.5gb. Typically, the manual
    doesn't mention the limitation. Also, single-sided DIMMs cost a lot more
    than double-sided ones so I figure might as well go for the 1gb double-sided
    DIMM.

    DIMMs, Mar 21, 2006
  7. Was a that a mfr rep.? If you told us what processor and core version you
    have and current config/speed, you might get a better answer here than from
    a vendor.

    First, if you have a dual channel setup with 2x512MB, one on each channel,
    and you replace one of them with a 1GB DIMM, you will lose dual channel
    operation, a bigger performance penalty than a speed drop from DDR400 to
    DDR333. In a dual channel setup, more recent versions of the CPU are
    spec'd to take 3 ranks of memory per channel without dropping to DDR333.
    Even older versions of the CPU have been known to take the 3 ranks without
    dropping speed with good quality memory, though you'd likely have to drop
    the command rate to 2T.

    I don't see a significant price premium for single-sided with 512Mb chips
    vs. double sided with 256Mb chips here in the U.S but either way, if you
    mix different spec/brand parts on the same system things could get err,
    "interesting".

    George Macdonald, Mar 22, 2006
  8. Ref DIMMs. Does anybody know if "SIMMS" are still available
    Joe ,
    Shame on you ,a hamfest is always the answer.
    I'm guessing these are 30 pin SIMMs and not 72 pin.
    Also check if 3 chip are ok ,or if they have to be 8 chip.
    Mark Whitlock

    Mark Whitlock, Mar 22, 2006
  9. DIMMs

    Keith Guest

    Good idea, where these things exist. I've trhown away *many* megabytes of
    such antique crap. No one wanted it and it was in my face.
    At this size, I think you're right. Crucial has 32MB SIMMs (for big bux),
    but they're 72 pin.
    Another good call! Likely the documentation to make this call no longer
    exists.

    Keith, Mar 23, 2006
  10. DIMMs

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    I only know that the 1st simm has four chips on it and equals 4mb of
    storage. The other simm has 8 chips on it, and equals 1 mb of
    storage. So both simms are parity since both have equal nr
    of chips on board.
    (also am not ashamed at all)

    Dont go to any hamfests here in Hawaii as they are few and far
    between. These simms are for a device called "ramlink" and
    used to store up to 16 megs of instant up on Commodore 128
    computers.
    Unashamed Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Mar 23, 2006
  11. DIMMs

    daytripper Guest

    Both simms are 8 bits wide - ie: *non-parity* type...

    daytripper, Mar 23, 2006