    density, but not sidedness. I haven't found anything helpful on the net yet
    either. Was I cheated?

    Joe

    Joe, Nov 18, 2004

  2. Joe

    Joe Guest

    .... by single-sided I meant the 128MB stick had chips only mounted on one
    side .... apparently sidedness rather has something to do with the logical
    organization of chips.

    Joe, Nov 18, 2004

  3. He's correct.
    ....which is okay seeing as it's only got 128MB on it.
    No, he was bang on the money. The reference to the board supporting single
    and double density sticks means, in practice, that it supports a maximum of
    128MB per bank. One bank is one side of a DIMM.

    Single-sided 256MB sticks are "quad density", and obviously enough, if you'd
    got one, you'd have had all 256MB in one bank, and thus your motherboard
    would only have seen half of it.

    This also explains why your single-sided 128 works properly - it's still
    within the "128 per bank" maximum.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Joe

    Geoff Guest

    generaly the safe option was to sell you the double sided 256 meg, since you
    ahve a socket370
    but it'd down to chipset, and the bloke you bought it off can't be expected
    to know your chipset off hand, so he did the right thing, sell you 256
    double sided

    your chipset is intel 815, which can handle a max of 512 meg (in total ram,
    even thoug you can fit 1gig in it, it won't work)
    you can put in any sdram really, 512 meg double sided or 256 single sided
    (it's down to how dense the chips are on the memory stick)

    Geoff, Nov 18, 2004
  5. Joe

    GinTonix Guest

    But remember that there is an issue with SE6 and placing memory modules:
    If you have only one single or double-sided stick, you can put it anywhere.
    If you have two sticks: if at least one of them is a double-sided one, it
    must be in the first slot. The other, be it a single or double-sided, can
    be put anywhere. If they are both single-sided: stick'em anywhere and
    they'll run.
    If you have three sticks: only one of them can be double-sided and the other
    two must be single-sided, and the double-sided one must be in the first
    slot. If they are all single-sided: no matter.

    The same issue can be met in other mobos with i815 chipset and its memory
    limitations (max amount, max banks) and three memory slots. RTFM for more
    information. It's in there.

    GinTonix, Nov 30, 2004