    Is there any site on the web that shows where I can find the installer discpart numbers for my IBook G3.
    And or what range of numbers would also work with any particular model MAC.I have been told that a newer set if not to much newer might work.
    And or a set that my not necessarily have IBook printed on them but rather EMac or IMac (PowerBooK?) perhaps also. I called Apple and got a sorry can’t help answer when I wanted to find a source to get replacement CDs

    DJW, Jan 12, 2014

  2. DJW

    Király Guest

    I don't know about part numbers, but this page will tell you which
    bundled OS versions came with your iBook, and from there you should be
    able to track down the correct install CD set:

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2191
    Yes, I have had luck interchanging install CDs between eMacs and iBooks.
    Others haven't. AFAIK there's no way to tell if it will work until you
    try it out.

    Király, Jan 12, 2014

  3. It's not really an issue as far as Apple is concered. The next release
    RETAIL disks would cover ALL Macs that ran it to date, and has done so as
    long as there have been Macs.

    The one exception is the few number of Macs that ran Tiger (10.4) but did
    not read DVDs. As we have discussed before, you had to trade in your DVD
    for CDs.

    AFAIK there were never any 10.4 retail disks for the early Intel Macintosh
    computers, but they all ran 10.5, and the 10.5 retail disk was for
    both Intel and PPC.

    So if you lost, broke, or never got them in the first place (with a used
    computer for example), you were supposed to buy a retail disk.

    I understand that if you live in a country that has an Apple store, you
    can go to a Genius Bar and they would have the disks, (I don't),
    but may not have them all.

    About the time the Genius Bars started to crop up dealers were getting
    rid of their old disks, and several people I know, including myself,
    were able to get some intersting old disks for pennies.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jan 13, 2014
  4. DJW

    DJW Guest

    How can you tell what the build number is before you ebay buy do they put it on the gray disc outside? All i have seen is a numbers like 691-3647-A?
    And I am tring to get9.2.2 & 10.2.1 not 10.3 or later on it as that is whatit shipped with. As far as low end macs being a good site, Its ok but prefer http://www.everymac.com

    DJW, Jan 13, 2014
  5. DJW

    Jim Jaeger Guest

    The build number and the software version are written on the disks that
    were distributed with my iBook.

    DJW, if the address in the posting is correct, you will be getting email.

    jim

    Jim Jaeger, Jan 14, 2014
  6. The problem the OP has is the opposite. He's trying to find out what disks
    he needs. He has the computer, not the disks. What's needed is a table
    of disk build numbers versus the computers they support.

    Or a table of computers and the disk build numbers that came with them.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jan 14, 2014
  7. DJW

    DJW Guest

    did you send me email under the name George Masterson?

    DJW, Jan 14, 2014
  8. DJW

    DJW Guest

    First off who are you Jim Jaeger or George Masterson?
    I need to know what ibook you have either sales number such as M????L?/A and or the serial number found under the os x apple menu about this mac. And the numbers on each disc such as 621-3549?
    How much would you want monetarily to make and ship them?
    DJW

    DJW, Jan 14, 2014
  9. DJW

    Király Guest

    I posted that upthread.

    Király, Jan 15, 2014
  10. Wow, thanks. For some reason I did not see that posting.

    Now can anyone tell me how to look at an ISO/CDR file (disk image) and tell
    what build it contains?

    Thanks,

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jan 15, 2014
  11. DJW

    Kiraly Guest

    Navigate the disk image with Finder to System/Library/CoreServices and
    find SystemVersion.plist. Open it with Property List Editor or TextEdit.
    The build number will be shown inside.

    Kiraly, Jan 15, 2014