    Asus SK8N
    Revision 1.03
    BIOS 1008

    Juan Jansen, Feb 10, 2005

  2. Juan Jansen

    Paul Guest

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/040831_DC_presentation.pdf

    "Drops into existing AMD Opteron 940 pin sockets that
    are compatible with 90nm single core processors"

    "A BIOS update was all that was necessary to get the
    4 socket server up and running with dual core AMD
    Opteron processors"

    Not entirely ruled out. Like any new processor offering,
    you won't know for sure until they start shipping.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 10, 2005

  3. Hi,

    I have a similar concern, mine is for the SK8V, which doesn't get very many
    BIOS updates at all. Besides the only BIOS update available is in Beta
    since 2003. Which I had to use to make this unit more stable. This kinda
    scares me to keep supporting ASUS when they don't seem too eager to support
    us...

    The Buzz is that the most Mobo's will be socket compliant with a simple BIOS
    flash update. However this doest look too good in view of what I stated
    above.

    I hope this helps.

    Guy DeschĂȘnes, May 11, 2005
  4. Juan Jansen

    Rob Stow Guest

    Another concern is power.

    The original Socket 754, 939, and 940 specs called for a TDP of
    95 Watts. However, it looks like the current 2.2 GHz Opty 275
    and 875 and the 2.4 GHz AthlonFX X2 are already very close to
    that TDP.

    The TDP spec for Socket 940 has been upped to 110 W, but the only
    Socket 940 boards with a 110 W TDP that so far are available to
    consumers seems to be the Tyan S289x series.

    Rob Stow, May 12, 2005