    boot to DOS prompt and excute that file in the read me. I was under
    the impression under XP there is no DOS prompt. So my question under
    XP is how to update bios from the floppy.

    David Wells, Nov 29, 2003

  2. Hi, pressing F8 key while XP boots gives a Command prompt as a choice, or
    make a boot floppy with Aflash and the uncompressed sk8n1003.bin file on it
    in the floppy drive and it will boot to A:\> then just type 'aflash' and
    follow the prompts to flash.

    Patrick Phillips, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Oh..and make sure your BIOS setting is set to allow a update, and the
    uncompressed flash file could be named either sk8n1003.awd or sk8n1003.bin
    too I guess.

    Patrick Phillips, Nov 29, 2003
  4. David Wells

    DaveW Guest

    XP has what's called a Command Prompt.

    DaveW, Nov 30, 2003
  5. David Wells

    Milleron Guest

    True. So do Windows 2000 and Windows 9x.
    But you do NOT use that command prompt to flash a BIOS. Flashing the
    BIOS must be done before entering those operating systems (or else via
    a Windows-based flashing utility which almost all experts advise
    against).

    Ron

    Milleron, Nov 30, 2003