Skybuck's Dream PC design for 2006 (Version 7)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Skybuck Flying, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. Skybuck's Dream PC design for 2006 (Version 7):

    ( Version 7 created on 3 January 2006):

    ( All prices in euro's, tax included, shipping costs included=14 bucks
    average, pay on delivery )

    *** Components/Overview ***:

    LCD Monitor: Hewlett Packard L2335 (native resolution: 1900x1200, response
    time: 16 ms, wide screen)
    Price indication: 1148

    Case: Chieftec, Smart series, SH-01B-B-SL miditower
    (silver/black/stylish/modern) (6 harddisk bays, 3 cd rom bays, 1 disk drive
    bay)
    Price indication: 79

    Power supply: Seasonic S12-600 (600 watt, power efficient, low noise)
    Price indication: 161

    Motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (passive cooling, low noise, 64 bit
    ready, good connectivity)
    Price indication: 247

    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Manchester 3800+ (Boxed) (dual core, power
    efficient, suited for running games at 1900x1200 resolution)
    Price indication: 355

    Memory module1: Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz
    (Double Side, Double Data Rate, Supported by motherboard)
    Price indication: 255

    Memory module2: Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz
    (Double Side, Double Data Rate, Supported by motherboard)
    Price indication: 255

    (memory module 3,4 optional/expansion)

    Memory module3: Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz
    (Double Side, Double Data Rate, Supported by motherboard)
    Price indication: 255

    Memory module4: Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz
    (Double Side, Double Data Rate, Supported by motherboard)
    Price indication: 255

    Graphics card1: XFX nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX 512 MB (Occupies two slots
    (dual slot), Standard version (non overclocked, for longer life ;))
    (PV-T70F-YDL) 2DVI/VI, PCI Express x16, Very powerfull )
    Price indication: 734

    Graphics card2: none, for better air flow, graphics card1 is powerfull
    enough to run everything at the present time and the near future, also sli
    is not yet supported on windows xp 64 bit drivers and some games.
    Price indication: -

    Sound card: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro (comes with nice breakout
    box and headphone connection, remote control etc)
    Price indication: 299

    (Note: needs floppy drive power connector)

    Network card: not needed, the motherboard was two very fast gigabit network
    chips on board ;)
    Price indication: -

    Harddisk1: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Price indication: 345

    Harddisk2: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Price indication: 345

    (Hardisk 3,4,5,6 optional/expansion:)

    Harddisk3: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Price indication: 345

    Harddisk4: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Price indication: 345

    Harddisk5: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Price indication: 345

    Harddisk6: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Price indication: 345

    Disk drive: OEM 3,5 diskettestation + 7-in-1 Cardreader (Black)
    Price indication: 47

    CD/DVD burner: BenQ DW1640 16x (Dual Layer, Black)
    Price indication: 55

    Keyboard: Logitech UltraX, silver.
    Price indication: 35

    Mouse: Logitech® Click! Optical Mouse
    Price indication: 25 (gonna buy it locally ;))

    Speakerset: Creative GigaWorks S750
    Price indication: 390

    *** Changes compared with previous design(s) ***:

    1. CRT Monitor replaced with Widescreen LCD Monitor. Good response time,
    good for gaming, clear/sharp graphics ?!

    2. Chieftec case changed to a little bit more stylish design to match the
    monitor, internals/layout are still the same.

    -. Power supply still the same.

    3. Motherboard changed to asus an8 sli 32x. No more time to wait for abit
    an8 sli 32x.

    4. Memory changed to corsair which is supported by the motherboard and can
    be maxed out.

    5. Graphics cards changed to 512 MB for maximum graphics performance
    currently available.

    -. Soundcard still the same.

    6. Network cards removed. The motherboard's network chips are probably good
    enough.
    (No need to use extra graphics cards which take up pci slots and pci
    bandwidth...
    However the network chips are probably connected to the pci bus)

    -. Harddisks still the same. Big, Cheap, Fast. SCSI harddisks not worth the
    price and speed and are too small.

    7. Disk drive changed to black to match the stylish design of the case.

    8. CD/DVD burner changed to BenQ Black to match stylish design and is almost
    the same drive as the previous plextor, but less expensive ;)

    9. Keyboard changed to logitech UlraX silver to match the stylish design. It
    has notebook keys and is flatter, hopefully this is comfortable to type on
    ;) They say it is but I'll have to find out for myself ;)

    10. Mouse changed to logitech Click Optimal mouse to match stylish design
    and is a pretty good mouse. Though reflective surfaces can cause the mouse
    pointer to jump around... but all mouses nowadays are laser mouses so not
    much choice there...

    - Speakerset still the same.

    *** Basic system price ***:

    LCD Monitor: 1148
    Case: 79
    Power supply: 161
    Motherboard: 247
    Processor: 355
    Memory1: 255
    Memory2: 255
    Graphics card1: 734
    Sound card: 299
    Harddisk1: 345
    Harddisk2: 345
    Disk drive + 7 in 1 card reader: 47
    CD/DVD burner: 55
    Keyboard: 35
    Mouse: 25
    Speakerset: 390

    Basic total: 4775

    *** Extra system price ***:

    Memory3: 255
    Memory4: 255
    Harddisk3: 345
    Harddisk4: 345
    Harddisk5: 345
    Harddisk6: 345

    Extra total: 1890

    *** Extreme extra system price ***:

    Graphics card2: 734 (in case you crazy ;) <- tight fit)

    *** Costs ***:

    Basic system: 4775
    Extra system: 6665
    Extreme system: 7399

    *** Notes/Comments ***:

    1. The sound card needs a floppy drive connector and the disk/floppy drive
    also needs a floppy connector.
    That means the power supply should have 2 floppy drive connectors. The
    seasonic s12 power supply has this ;)

    2. The case supports 3 cd rom bays (5.25 inch external), 6 harddisk bays
    (3.5 inch internal) and 1 floppy drive bay (3.5 inch external)

    3. The case can mount extra fans to cool harddisks etc. Be carefull that the
    airflow doesn't cancel each other out.
    However cooling the harddisks is probably the most important since they
    contain the data/information and you don't want to loose that ;)

    4. The power supply has 4 sata connectors and additional molex connectors.
    Make sure the last two harddisks have a molex connector.

    5. The motherboard can connect 4 ide devices and 4 sata drives and another 2
    sata drives on the raid controller.
    The last two sata harddisks should be connected to the raid controller to
    make a nice raid drive for games. Do not place the pagefile on a raid
    drive... because raid is usually slow at writing.

    6. The dvd/cd burner is an IDE drive so that more SATA harddisks can be
    connected.

    7. The memory chips are pretty fast but not the fastest. The fastest chips
    only allow 2GB to be mounted if I am not mistaken ;)
    2 GB will probably be the minimum memory requirement to run Windows Vista
    *smoothly*.
    However I like the ability to go to 4 GB just in case.

    8. The power supply is efficient, low noise, low heat and still powerfull.
    600 watt will probably be enough for average day use
    and gaming etc. Only if the system is completely stressed and everything is
    running at the same time the power might not be enough.
    So the power supply is a bit of a gamble only for the extra or extreme
    system but even then I think it could still work ok. In case
    it's really not enough one can always change to another power supply. But I
    like the reviews so much that I want to give
    this power supply a try :)

    9. The motherboard seems to be a quality motherboard with all kinds of nice
    features, it even has a parallel port for my old nec p20 printer hehe.
    It's passively cooled which is good for low noise, it also has wifi support
    if you need it and onboard audio, but no onboard integrated graphics.
    It has three pci slots, two 16x pci-express slots and one 4x pci-express
    slot and ofcourse the two network chips etc.

    10. The cpu is power efficient and still powerfull enough to run games
    smoothly at 1900x1200 resolution. It's big brother the X2 4800+ is three
    times more expensive but only delivers 20% more performance and also runs
    hotter etc. So I like this little brother the X2 3800+ ;) It has two 512 KB
    L2 caches which seems to be ok according to the benchmarks :D

    11. The XFX is the normal graphics card version. I don't like the idea of an
    overclocked graphics extreme version. So the normal version will probably
    last longer ;) The graphics card is quite big and requires one slot to
    connect but takes the space of two slots ! It's possibly to add another
    graphics card but that might be bad for airflow ;)

    12. Here is a possible harddisk layout:
    The first harddisk is a low fragmentation harddisk. Software/Data rarely
    gets added to it.
    The first harddisk will contain the operating system and important
    information.

    The second harddisk is also a low fragmentation harddisk. Software/Data
    rarely gets added to it.
    The second harddisk will contain the fixed sized page file and
    software/applications.

    This allows the operating system to load it's libraries/dll's/executables
    etc from one harddisk,
    while the software/application libraries/dll's/executables load from the
    second harddisk in parallel.

    The third harddisk will be a high fragmentation harddisk containing source
    codes, download's,
    pictures, temporarely files, video's, mp's, everything that's a bit junky.

    The fourth harddisk can contain big movies, iso's and everything else that
    is large
    like games etc.

    Finally the 5th and 6th harddisk can be combined into a raid drive to be
    used for games
    with long load times and few write and few random access operations.

    13. The keyboard is flat and has notebook kind of keys. They say it types
    comfortably but I am skeptical.
    The silverish look does match the rest of the components, so I am willing to
    give it a try. I can always
    replace it with an office keyboard if I don't like it ;)

    14. The cd/dvd burner does not have lightscribe or any other labelling tech
    etc. The drives
    that do have it are probably a bit old and slow and expensive. I rather have
    a fast and good burning quality drive ;)

    15. Keyboard and mouse with a wire ofcourse... dead batteries my ass lol :)

    And finally:

    16. The LCD monitor adds a HOLYSHIT effect. Such a powerfull computer
    deserves a good and
    awesome monitor which makes anybody walking into the room go HOLYSHIIITTT
    :):):)

    I think it's slighty wider than a typical keyboard. I still have to go look
    in a store
    to really see it and I also have to check out the dead pixel policy etc. But
    I think HP
    is a respectable company and will replace any bad samples etc.

    *** Links to reviews and suppliers ***

    (I am located in the Netherlands/Europe, so if you live else where you'll
    have to find your
    own suppliers I guess ;) This site is also handy for finding suppliers:
    http://www.tweakers.net
    A dutch site though.)

    **

    LCD Monitor: Hewlett Packard L2335 (native resolution: 1900x1200, response
    time: 16 ms, wide screen)
    Supplier: http://hp.buyitdirect.com
    Reason: Buying directly from a HP partner which I trust will deliver a good
    product, also has many in store.

    Reviews:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_L2335/4505-3174_7-30788118.html (video review
    !!!)
    http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review1695.html
    http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2467
    http://stores.tomshardware.com/rati...duct_id=8222432/id_type=M/ut=d4b696d12a669fbd
    (a guy explains the part numbers are the same product but sold differently)

    **

    Case: Chieftec, Smart series, SH-01B-B-SL miditower
    (silver/black/stylish/modern) (6 harddisk bays, 3 cd rom bays, 1 disk drive
    bay)
    Supplier: http://www.case-world.de/Online-Shop/online-shop.html
    Reason: Specialized in Chieftec cases, has all parts and is one of the few
    who can deliver/has it.

    Reviews: none really, however here you can have a look into the case:
    http://www.chieftec.com/products/500A/SH01.htm
    There is also a chinese review but I am not certain if the internals are
    exactly the same... if not than it will be a close resemblence ;)
    http://www.pcgamma.com/showthread.php?t=7276

    **

    Power supply: Seasonic S12-600 (600 watt, power efficient, low noise)
    Supplier:
    http://www.icomputers.nl/product_detail.asp?A_ID=3562&SSS_ID=&SS_ID=1286&S_ID=423
    Reason: Good website, clear information, deliverable within 5 workdays.

    Reviews:
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=106&type=expert
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/index.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/stresstest-23.html

    **

    Motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (passive cooling, low noise, 64 bit
    ready, good connectivity)
    Supplier: http://www.bytesatwork.be/
    Reason: Only supplier that has one (only one available)

    Alternative Supplier:
    http://www.alternate.nl//html/shop/productDetails.html?artno=GHEA13&
    Reason: In case first supplier doesn't have it any more ;) more expensive
    though

    Reviews:
    http://hothardware.com/hothardware.com_non_ssl/viewarticle.aspx (Explains
    that two dual slot graphics card might be a tight squeeze, many pictures,
    very good review)
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2589&p=1 (In depth look at this
    motherboard and comparisions etc)
    http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1563_1.html (Lot's of nice
    pictures of slots, headers, cables etc, good review)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/29/ati_and_nvidia/page7.html (mentions
    the external sata connector, and two dual slot graphics cards ??? is that
    wise ??? I dont think so but ok)

    **

    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Manchester 3800+ (Boxed) (dual core, power
    efficient, suited for running games at 1900x1200 resolution)
    Supplier:
    http://www.icomputers.nl//product_detail.asp?A_ID=2661&S_ID=421&SS_ID=809&SSS_ID=894
    Reason: In stock and ordering multiple items from this supplier might safe
    shipping costs. (prices are almost the same for different suppliers for this
    product)

    Reviews:
    http://www.amdboard.com/athlon_64_3800_review.html

    **

    Memory:

    Memory module1: Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz
    (Double Side, Double Data Rate, Supported by motherboard)
    Memory module2: Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz
    (Double Side, Double Data Rate, Supported by motherboard)

    (memory module 3,4 optional/expansion)

    Memory module3: Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz
    (Double Side, Double Data Rate, Supported by motherboard)
    Memory module4: Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz
    (Double Side, Double Data Rate, Supported by motherboard)

    Supplier: http://www.cool-prices.nl/index.php/18,hid--2,sgid--1,artId--2798
    Reason: Cheapest and in stock.

    Reviews:
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/268/1/
    http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=printpage&artid=163

    **

    Graphics card1: XFX nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX 512 MB (Occupies two slots
    (dual slot), Standard version (non overclocked, for longer life ;))
    (PV-T70F-YDL) 2DVI/VI, PCI Express x16, Very powerfull )
    Supplier: ???? unknown at this point, non in stock ???? no integrated
    graphics so I will have to wait for it.

    Reviews:
    http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/hardware/1560_1.html
    http://www.avault.com/hardware/print_review.asp?review=xfx7800512xxx
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/14/nvidia/index.html

    **

    Sound card: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro (comes with nice breakout
    box and headphone connection, remote control etc)
    Supplier:
    http://www.hardwaretotaal.nl/catalo...ro-71&osCsid=98d3e3e66ea43ccc66566ca05aefa0f3
    Reason: Cheapest

    (Note: needs floppy drive power connector)

    Reviews:
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1850381,00.asp (Reviewers finds
    price too high)
    http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/creative_sb_xfi/page_2.shtml (Shows floppy
    drive power connector needed)
    http://www.anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2518&p=1 (Analysis, etc)

    **

    Network card: not needed, the motherboard was two very fast gigabit network
    chips on board ;)

    Review:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/04/30/gigabit_ethernet/page2.html

    **

    Harddisk1: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Harddisk2: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )

    (Hardisk 3,4,5,6 optional/expansion:)

    Harddisk3: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Harddisk4: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Harddisk5: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Harddisk6: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )

    Supplier: to be determined.
    Reason: non in stock yet, those that have them in stock are way too
    expensive like 50 bucks extra.

    Review:
    Many, I don't really need a review of these harddisks... I trust they good
    ;) :)
    But here you go anyway:
    http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200511/HDS725050KLA360_1.html

    **

    Disk drive: OEM 3,5 diskettestation + 7-in-1 Cardreader (Black)
    Supplier: http://www.azerty.nl/default.jsp
    In stock: yes

    **

    CD/DVD combo drive: BenQ DW1640 16x (Dual Layer, Zwart)
    Supplier: to be determined

    Review:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=14268

    **

    Keyboard: Logitech UltraX, silver.
    Supplier: to be determined.

    Review:
    http://www.mrpower.com.tw/product_info.php?products_id=177

    **

    Mouse: Logitech® Click! Optical Mouse
    Supplier: locally

    Review:

    Myself ;) It's a good mouse.
    Mouse pointer can jump around because of laser feedback on reflective
    surfaces...
    at least that's the theory.

    Here is a link to a picture etc. (The mouse looks a bit better in reality
    compared to the picture.)

    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2142,CONTENTID=6906

    **

    Speakerset: Creative GigaWorks S750
    Supplier: to be determined.

    Review:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound/194/3/ (nice photo's etc)
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/creative-gigaworks-s750.html
    http://www.hardwarefusion.net/content/000302.php?page=1 (some nice pictures)

    **

    *** Links to pictures ***

    And finally here are some quick links to all external components to get an
    idea
    how everything will look together:

    LCD Monitor:

    http://ai.pricegrabber.com/product_images/8222000-8222999/8222432_640.jpg
    http://reviews.designtechnica.com/images/reviews/1695/20040621_2145451.gif

    Case:

    (Black and silver, selected drives will be black so will probably look good
    together)
    http://www.chieftec.com/images/500A/SH-01B-B-SL.jpg

    Alternative silver more pretty but hard to get:
    (Also white, black and silver components/drives might not look good together
    ;))
    http://www.chieftec.com/images/500A/AH-01SL-SL-SL.jpg

    Watch out there is also an uglier white case: ;) (this is not the same one
    as the silver one, I think ;))
    http://www.case-world.de/Online-Shop/media/SH-01W-W-W.jpg

    Soundcard BreakOut Box:

    Front:

    http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/11/0,1425,i=112171,00.jpg
    (small)
    http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/10/0,1425,sz=1&i=104727,00.jpg
    (large)

    Back:

    http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/11/0,1425,i=112172,00.jpg
    (small)
    http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/10/0,1425,sz=1&i=104728,00.jpg
    (large)

    Soundcard Remote Control:

    http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/11/0,1425,i=112173,00.jpg
    (small)
    http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/10/0,1425,sz=1&i=104729,00.jpg
    (large)

    Disk drive:

    http://www.azerty.nl/files/3991.gif (black, as selected, will look good in
    the black/silver case)

    alternative:
    http://www.azerty.nl/files/3895.gif (white, won't look good in the silver
    case I think)

    CD/DVD combo drive:

    (I don't like the benq white logo in general but then again what the hell ;)
    it's not that big :) )
    http://www.benq.us/images/image_gallery/products/storage/dw1640/01.jpg (3D
    black)
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Sources/BenQ_DW1640/Images/front.jpg
    (2D front)

    alternative:
    http://www.benq.us/images/image_gallery/products/storage/dw1640/02.jpg (3D
    white)

    Keyboard:

    http://www.mrpower.com.tw/images/Logitech/DSC02733.jpg (3D)
    http://www.mrpower.com.tw/images/Logitech/DSC02732.jpg (3D up close)

    Mouse:

    http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/1936.jpg

    Speakerset:

    http://www.guru3d.com/admin/imageview.php?image=4683
    http://www.guru3d.com/admin/imageview.php?image=4693

    Well that's it for me. I have done my very best to select good components
    which look good together too. At the present time this is simply the best of
    the best.

    Now I can let it sink in and start comparing this design to other computers
    and see if this high price is really worth it etc, etc, etc, etc :)

    Let's sum up the strong points of this computer:

    1. Super monitor, games which support wide screen is just awesome. Lot's of
    space on desktop in reality and virtually hehe ;) probably much lighter than
    a big heavy 21 inch crt monitor too ;)
    2. Super graphics, excellent for games.
    3. Super processor, excellent for applications and games and responsiveness
    of web browsers.
    4. Super harddisk, excellent for loading applications and games and working
    fast with data.
    5. Super memory. excellent for performance in general.
    6. Super sound, excellent for music, video's and games.
    7. Stylish, modern, nothing over the top, it's not a christmas tree ;) :)
    8. Lot's of room to add extra harddisks for extra storage space !! =D
    9. Good keyboard and mouse via wires, no batteries necessary <- no troubles
    ;)
    10. Headphone can be connected to the breakout box.
    11. Super network performance.
    12. Wifi wireless support.
    13. All kinds of other connectivity support. Even an external sata drive
    connector ?! wow. Ofcourse most other computers
    don't have this kind of connector so don't plan on using an external sata
    drive just yet ;)
    14. Good/fast cd/dvd burning, ripping, reading etc.
    15. 64 Bit ready. Will probably run Windows Vista smoothly... However maybe
    Windows Vista requires special DX10 cards... I hope not though ;) I would be
    a bit pissed if it did need a new graphics card doh.
    16. Even has a floppy drive in case one needs to move little files from/to
    older computers or so.

    Yup it's expensive all right but look at the strong points. Probably
    definetly worth it's money.

    Can you spot any weak points except the staggering price tag ?

    I can, yup:

    1. No printer selected. I don't need it really. I can print at my mom's
    place and I rarely print anything. My 10 year old nec P20 is just good
    enough to print some crappy information with some crappy text :)

    2. No scanner selected. Again my mom has an all-in-one printer which can
    print, scan, copy, etc.

    3. No other advanced features selected, like a skype phone etc. Gje.

    4. No flash/usb sticks selected.

    5. No external harddisk selected.

    6. Not sure if it's completely suited for your handy/mobile. I don't have
    one, I don't need one and I probably don't want one, me hates distrubing
    phone calls argh.

    7. Not sure if it's compatible with video devices like camcorders, photo
    stuff/devices etc.

    8. Not sure if the monitor can function as a TV or HDTV or something like
    that... maybe, maybe not... it's not ment for that in the first place I
    think ;)

    Well most of these things can be added later ofcourse and I think points 1
    to 7 are probably possible. Point 8 I don't know ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck ;)

    Skybuck Flying, Jan 3, 2006

  2. Serious comment here: If I could afford to spend nearly $7,500 for a
    homebuilt system then why not go up a few notches at go for a 10-12
    thousand dollar computer? The percent increase wouldn't be that great.

    ps. What do you do for a living which would allow you to buy such an
    expensive computer?

    I've seen used cars that sell for $7,500 and they last for many years.
    Just My HMO...

    be well,

    ************************************
    If you wait by the river long enough your enemies will float by.
    http://www.dubyareport.net/
    http://www.dubyareport.net/forum/

    Theodore Baldwin Boothe III, Jan 3, 2006

  3. Skybuck Flying

    Augustus Guest

    ps. What do you do for a living which would allow you to buy such an
    He lives in his parent's basement and spends his time spewing infantile 5000
    word scribblings. He also seems to be unaware that his 6 SATA HDD's will be
    unable to initialize in a RAID configuration on an XP setup without a floppy
    drive.

    Augustus, Jan 3, 2006
  4. Well, since most of the components are thrown together without any clue
    this computer probably would just be a waste of money. Take it as it is,
    just a list of some components with some prices...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jan 3, 2006
  5. There is no need too. For this ammount of money one already has the best of
    the best. The prices are in euro's though. Maybe the components are cheaper
    in the USA.

    Anyway here are the ammounts in american dollars:
    Basic system: 5,654.55 USD
    Extra system: 7,892.69 USD
    Extreme system: 8,761.89 USD

    So you see, the price is already close to 10 grand ;) :D
    Anybody can own such a computer, just live cheaply and save some money ;)
    Yeah so ?

    If a car gives you more joy and you don't have one, and don't mind getting
    killed while using it, go get one =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck ;)

    Skybuck Flying, Jan 3, 2006
  6. Skybuck Flying

    Andrew Guest

    You started it with your complete waste of time start to this thread.
    *plonk*

    Andrew, Jan 3, 2006
  7. Ha-ha, good joke, NOT.
    Are you joking again ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck ;)

    Skybuck Flying, Jan 3, 2006
  8. Skybuck Flying

    Augustus Guest

    He also seems to be unaware that his 6 SATA HDD's will be
    No, I'm not joking. XP can not load the RAID drivers from USB/DVD/CDR you
    MUST have a floppy installed. In 2003 Server and Vista you can access other
    devices, but not XP.

    Augustus, Jan 3, 2006
  9. You can use a USB floppy, or slipstream the drivers onto the CD, so you
    don't actually need a floppy in the system case. However it is a valid
    point.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Jan 3, 2006
  10. Skybuck Flying

    Augustus Guest

    You can use a USB floppy, or slipstream the drivers onto the CD, so you
    Yes, I didn't mean you needed a actual legacy floppy in the case, a USB
    floppy will do.You're right about slipstreaming. But I think this above the
    abilities of the overwhelming majority of users.

    Augustus, Jan 3, 2006
  11. Are you crazy ?

    I read all those reviews and I have a very good idea what the requirements
    are for all components.

    I am 100% convinced that all components will work together, except maybe the
    last two drives. As mentioned in the notes. The power supply only has 4 sata
    power connectors. So the 5th and 6th drive need a molex connector/socket.

    I would be surprised if some components don't fit etc. That's part of the
    fun and exploration when building this system. In such an event simply
    return the component to the supplier and ask for a different one.

    However I do not think it is necessary to start selecting alternative
    components.
    I feel confident that everything will work out great.

    However my need for such a new computer is not so high. Newer games kinda
    bore me and suck a bit... maybe because my current pc can't run them well or
    maybe I am just getting to old for that "shit".

    For 99.9% of the applications my current computer works just fine.

    My current sound sucks though <- p3v4x motherboard/chipset problem.

    The monitor is still ok but not great. I am actually using a 8 year old
    monitor since the previous monitor got bad/though on the eyes/dark probably
    because of playing way too many games ;) or simply the long usage ;)

    Currently I also have enough space, however I deleted my iso's, films etc...
    so even 120 GB + 15 GB is a bit low on storage space. Especially if I would
    like to share some stuff with others if you know what I mean =D Bit
    generally I don't do that anyway, so might as well delete it.

    I have a dx9 graphics card so in principle I can run all games but slowly ;)

    Network performance is also ok. 10 megabit. My ISP allows 450 Kbyte/sec
    download which is more than enough for downloading and web surfing. And 90
    Kbyte/sec upload which is very good for playing multiplayer games, at least
    the older ones like Quake 3 <- master server is down too bad eh ;) and
    Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

    Though I am kinda bored with those games. I actually started playing Quake 3
    again against the nightmare bots. Kinda cool :D

    So this list of components, the review "research" and all that stuff is
    simply an exercise in case I do want to buy a 4800 bucks computer.

    So I have a couple of choices:

    1. Buy and "waste" 4800 bucks.
    2. Wait until prices drop and all components in stock/availability high.
    But by then new components will be on the market ;)
    3. Wait until my current PC really becomes too slow, or dies, etc.
    4. Design a different computer. A cheap computer with best value. Biggest
    bang for the buck etc.

    5. Maybe an upgrade path:

    If I look at my current computer the only things I need are:

    1. A faster CPU
    2. Maybe a faster GPU/Graphics card.
    3. Probably more GPU memory (more than 128 MB)
    4. More RAM. (At least 512 MB for near future 1 GB).

    However a new CPU means a new motherboard, new memory, new graphics card
    unless I find a motherboard with agp support and my current computer will
    need to use a tnt2 card with a missing fan ;) <- not too smart ;)

    I could keep the keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakerset, even the plextor
    drive, but no dvd yet, diskdrive, even the harddisk.

    But the monitor is getting old so that's no fun, and I rather keep the
    harddisk in the old computer.

    So the upgrade picture is looking very very very very bad and definetly not
    worth it ;)

    So that rules out option number 5 ;)

    But look at it this way:

    I have all this money lieing around, and it's just sitting there doing
    absolutely nothing, gathering dust and becoming worthless thanks to
    inflation.

    This money is not giving me any joy at all.

    The big question is if the new computer will give me some joy =D

    I think it will... even if it's just building such a computer. That is just
    fun in itself =D

    And finally being able to run everything thrown at the beast is nice as
    well.

    Maybe even playing around with windows vista...

    I simply can't think of anything else to spent my money on really. The rest
    just doesn't interest me so much. In my eyes that would be a bigger money
    waster :D Like vacation ? neh, New girlfriend lol, neh ! New car no way, New
    house maybe ? But then I would need to save much more money ;) Other new
    equipment neh...

    Yeah, sigh... well I am going to wait a little bit more to see if prices
    come down and components become more available/in stock, there is no rush.
    Except maybe for the monitor which might not be produced anymore but we'll
    see ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jan 3, 2006
  12. Well in that case do two things:

    1. First look closely at the components.

    A floppy drive is included.

    Maybe the 7 in 1 card reader confused you. This 7 in 1 card reader is build
    into
    the top of the floppy drive. Get it ?

    2. I generally don't like RAID at all.

    As I described in the harddisk layout. The first 4 drives will simply be
    normal sata drives. Only drive 5 and 6 will/could be combined into a RAID
    drive.

    I would first only buy 2 harddisks and simply use them as normal drives.

    The RAID stuff is just a nice extra option for the future in case I expand
    with more drives.

    So windows xp will work just fine.

    I hope this clearifies things...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jan 3, 2006
  13. Anybody can hu? You do realize that a person earning $50K a year would
    be spending 10% of their income on YOUR computer? I doubt anyone with
    a brain in their head would spend 10% of their income on a computer,
    much less a home built computer.

    I also doubt even high income earners would spend nearly $10K on a
    computer. I could see a 2500-3000 computer, but $10K?

    Again I ask, what do you do for a living? How can you afford the
    computer you have described?

    I seriously think you just went to a website, checked all the most
    expensive items into a shopping cart and then posted it here. I also
    highly suspect you're trying to spam/flame with such a silly build.

    Uh, the point is that people spend high amounts of money on things
    they have to have in order to go to work and live. No one I have ever
    met would spend more money for a computer than a fairly decent used
    car.

    As for saving money and living cheap, based on your system, you would
    probably have to live on a budget of $1,000 per month. And I seriously
    doubt you do that, or ever have.

    Lies and silly posting you made.
    I hope no one helps you because you're just trying to troll this [and
    all those other CROSSPOSTED] newsgroups.

    Exactly what was the point of crossposting o all those newsgroups?
    You might as well have crossposted to some porn groups too, since
    you'd likely get even better trolling.

    Happy trolling
    ps. When I see you're nick in a post/reply, I now know it is a bunch
    of shit.

    ************************************

    Theodore Baldwin Boothe III, Jan 3, 2006
  14. Wake up dude.

    If you save 1000 dollars per year, ok, you will have 5000 dollars after 5
    years, and with that money you can buy a splendid computer which will also
    last 3 to 5 years at least for applications etc.
    None of your bussiness lol.
    You crazy.
    Stop working and stop living ;)
    Dude get real, some people life on a budget of 5 dollars per month.

    You should be ashamed of yourself !
    Believe what you want, troll what you want.
    Why not cross posting.

    Cross posting means more people read it, more people benefit from it and
    more maybe some good feedback ;)

    I am just sharing haha.
    You too funny.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jan 3, 2006
  15. Skybuck Flying

    Odie Ferrous Guest

    Give the guy a break - you know, you need a really super-fast computer
    to watch porn on.

    OD
    (Skybuck - just get a basic Dell system and paint some flames on the
    outside of the case. It will then do all you need, and more. Go-faster
    stripes are also ok, but it's the flames that really boost performance.)

    Odie Ferrous, Jan 3, 2006
  16. Skybuck Flying

    Bernd Paysan Guest

    Looking at your choice, I can only figure out that you made a number of
    uneconomic choices. E.g. take your 4GB RAM (it's really 8GB, see below). I
    can't imagine what you want to do with that amount of RAM under Windows,
    doing troll-postings on usenet. Or the 6*500GB hard disks. BTW: The corsair
    TWINX are 2 modules in the pack, so you can't buy more than two for your
    PC. And if you put two double-sided modules on each memory channel, PC2700
    is enough - the load is too high for PC3200. If you really want 4GB RAM for
    a CPU or more, buy an Opteron, and use registered RAM.

    I take care about the IT stuff of my design group as a side-activity. I've a
    file server with 2TB for our EDA stuff, and it's still less than 700GB
    filled (and a significant portion of that are a dozend Cadence versions,
    kept around just because deleting is not worth the time, and old projects
    that won't be moved to backup only until the space is used up). Unless you
    plan to fill your disk with trash you'll never use again (e.g. backup
    everything you watch on DVB TV), there's no point for a personal PC to have
    that much space for data.

    I put together new machines for the design team late last year, and spent
    about 2k Euro per workstation (including 24" flat screens). That seems to
    be a reasonable price for me, one I can get a budget for. EDA design is
    really "power users", there you can still use far more CPU cycles than on a
    home PC, and the dual-core CPU actually makes sense (now if Cadence would
    add special licenses to dual-cores like Oracle...).

    My advice for a hobbyist computer today, with exclusion of hard-core gamers
    is to buy a 1k Euro laptop (the current Aldi Turion64 one looks ok for the
    typical home-user). They are fast enough for what this kind of people do,
    and the mobility is a very important aspect, too.

    My advice: Buy what you need, not the most expensive stuff that's available.

    Bernd Paysan, Jan 3, 2006
  17. Yeah, reading some reviews get you a clue. I'm soo impressed ;-)

    FYI: Windows Vista doesn't require 2GB to run smooth, that's completely
    BS. Vista runs smooth with 512MB, and it also runs smooth on computers
    that are todays midrange...
    That's certainly no problem. You can buy for example a Dual Opteron
    workstation (which btw would't throw you back much more than your
    Athlon64 system) with tons of Gbytes of RAM and Windowsxp x64. Of course
    it's quite useless if you don't have any applications that can make use
    of it...
    As to the display: get the Dell 2405FPW instead. Cheaper than the HP,
    and also a little bit better...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jan 3, 2006
  18. Skybuck Flying

    FredK Guest

    Burger King after school is my guess.
    Sure. In the same sense taking a dump in the middle of a room is sharing.

    FredK, Jan 3, 2006
  19. Skybuck Flying

    Chuck F. Guest

    If you must respond to this cross-posted trolling, please have the
    decency to set follow-ups. I have so done to a suitable group.

    Chuck F., Jan 3, 2006
  20. Skybuck Flying

    Jester Guest

    You know 3 terabytes of porn is going to turn you into a blind man with very
    hairy palms don't you?

    :)

    J.

    Jester, Jan 3, 2006